Bulb Source

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
My 05 tdi wagon has these little blue bulbs in the headlights next to the low beam bulb. (not sure what its purpose in life is but its there and burnt out) the PN for this bulb is N 017 753 10 according to ETKA and i cant seem to find the "street" part number for it.

My dealer only has one bulb for 6.95 and that seems a bit high for a bulb that small. Does anyone here have a part number for it that perhaps i can find at a local place?

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
good luck changing the city light in the high beam reflector. I don't see any way to do it besides taking the bumper off and the lights out. Not unless your 5 year old has the dexterity to do it.

It is seriously tight. Changing the high beams on my car required removal of the head lamp and loosening of two screws inside the housing.

If you have a simpler way I am all ears.

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
It is a W5W bulb with blue glass.

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
Mogolf you are right it is blue glass not that painted stuff. Dieseldorf the center link above is the correct one... thank you guys i will order some soon and attempt that job. I guess after screwing with my lights i just noticed that those are for "parking" then there are the two H7's that are one for low and one for high beams respectively.

Never really noticed that before...

I was also looking for the light bulb that goes on the bumper on the right side under that red colored lense. the back end of the lense seems to "toggle" but it doesnt release outwards... whats the scoop on that one? (bulb # and removal) couldnt find the bulb in ETKA...

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
The W5W is a wedge based bulb and our US #'s 168 or 191 work fine. You'll probably find your side marker bulb is the same thing. It is on our Golfs and Jettas anyways. The lenses should push back (towards the trunk) then pull out @ the front, IIRC. Again, for the Golf and Jetta but should be the same for the Passats. Don't toss me under the bus if I'm wrong... it's happened before.

ozpassatwagon05

TDI
05 Passat Wagon TDI
haha... no worries flytdi i appreciate your input...

the worse that can happen is that the passat is the mutant of the bunch and you have to remove the front right tire and the rear left mud flap to get that out...

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
FlyTDI Guy said:
The W5W is a wedge based bulb and our US #'s 168 or 191 work fine. You'll probably find your side marker bulb is the same thing. It is on our Golfs and Jettas anyways. The lenses should push back (towards the trunk) then pull out @ the front, IIRC. Again, for the Golf and Jetta but should be the same for the Passats. Don't toss me under the bus if I'm wrong... it's happened before.
And you are again. ;) You've got it backward. Push the front in, forward, slip the back out.

The bulb is not the same. The bumper side marker bulbs are W3W clear.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Depends on which side of the car you're standing on... :rolleyes:

Well, OK maybe this warrants being thrown under a NB, but not the whole bus. Different output, same bulb base and size.