NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Then I'll be there to buy another!
Not sure why, I love driving the car everyday and wouldn't know what to trade it for?
I obviously agree, since I own two of them. I haven't found any rental cars that I would consider as a potential replacement for either one of my TDIs, except for the Passat gasser.

mikedotd

TDI
WTB
I would buy another CR with out a second though. Yes the HPFP is not perfect but they have improve it. With EA288 using oil lubed belt for the oil pump with variable pressure pump this one of other changes. So pick your poison.
OT, but can you explain your concerns with these design features in the EA288?

Ch3No2

TDI
Jetta Wagon
Reading this kind of scares me since my car has 67,xxx on it.

In the back of my mind I keep wondering if and when it will happen to me
I have a 2010 with 140k and you're scared?
I fill at the local truck stop where the underground fuel tank is recycled almost daily...I wonder if that has helped?

Second Turbo

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 ALH Wagon, 373K, 2nd 01M
Why the CR HPFP won't get fixed.

>> ... can you explain your concerns with these design features in the EA288?

>... it would off topic. PM me if you want.

New VW 2.0-Liter EA288 Four-Cylinder TDI for the new Jetta, Golf and Passat
would be the place to chat.

Because the EA288 is imminent, that suggests that VW will do nothing radical about the CR/CP4.1 (from an engineering standpoint).

Those of us sitting out the CR generation to see what lies ahead will, I suspect, sit out EA288 rev 1.0 as well, and watch end user reports carefully.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Reading this kind of scares me since my car has 67,xxx on it.
In the back of my mind I keep wondering if and when it will happen to me
That's the spirit! That's what this thread is all about.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
VW and bosch both have given public statements and research. The problem is two fold. The early pumps had bad quality control and less durable coatings. Both issues improved. The main fault is low quality fuel supply at the pump along with the mistake gas full ups.

Sure VW could do better with the PR side of this issues. A simple update with a more clear reason and some technical evidence would be great. But they have disclosed the reasons to nhtsa, which are public.

I am sure my 2013 CR will last as long as the even more complicated ea888. So long as I splash mix in good bio diesel and additives on each tank.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
VW and bosch both have given public statements and research...they have disclosed the reasons to nhtsa, which are public...
Would you mind directing us to the document where VW & Bosch have admitted there was a problem? Thanks.

tdisedanman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ex 2005 Passat, TDI and ex 2005.5 Jetta TDI
If I was you, I would move on from VW, too.
UNFORTUNATELY AND SADLY... I SAY DITTO.
my wife and I both had 05's she a Passat and me the NB Jetta. I had constant first model years issus with the Jetta and thank god for this forum because I always had to tell vw what was common knowledge here.

wifes Passat 2.0 engine had issues in the high 40,000 mile range, chafing sound from front end, possible balance shaft chain? VW dealer called me said had low oil pressure but we never had any indicator light.

wear etc.... I had to bring in all my paperwork related to oil changes to prove they were
timely and with the correct oil.

They said they found a valve keeper in the oil pickup tube...I guess I had an extra part from the factory build?
anyway they put bin a remanufactured engine but the car was not the same. after that experience and knowing my jetta was probably facing cam issues, got rid of both. I did miss the ride, handling, fuel economy etc but with what seems to be constant issues with VW TDI,s was afraid to go back to VW or Audi. I missed my diesel for almost 4 years. I recently bought CPO 2012
MB E350 bluetec V6 with 400 ft lbs of torque. while not as small and nimble as my VW,s it is still fun to drive and oh..that diesel sound! get on it and she gets throaty!

I am hoping that I have good luck with it. yes, I bought an extended warranty because I know repairs at MB can be costly.

i hope vw steps up to the plate and helps their customers. from my pastvexperiencecwith trweo different dealers, one hadbawful service .no attention to detail and quality . The other was a little better and neither had product knowledge as far as service issues go.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Would the Audi Q5 TDI be affected by this HPFP problem? Or is it a different pump with a proven track record?

I'm just wondering because my new year's resolution is "To want an Audi Q5 TDI."

Not to actually get one...just to want one...I'm saving up! 2/3 of the way there! (I started saving for the next car after I bought my Golf in 2004). Anyway, it'll be a while and maybe something else will become available...but basically the Q5 TDI is exactly what I want in my next car (possibly the last new car I'll ever buy unless I never want to retire...I'm 41).

Last edited:

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
Still the same family of fuel pump from Bosch (cp4.xx). The passat uses a similar pump and doesn't seem to have the issue but it's anyone's guess to the improvements made in the q5 fuel system.

maggietdi

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2013 Golf TDI

Well after reading all the nice stuff on here, I am kind of disappointed I bought a TDI. 7,500 miles on our 2013 Golf and guess what? HPFP failure. And ofcourse the first thing the service writer says is bad fuel. I always fuel at the same station except for maybe 1 or 2 times that I needed fuel and was away. So as far as the upgraded pumps, I guess they didn't put them in the new cars. The dealer said they have had about 50 cars with this problem in the last 90 days..
Not a happy camper:mad::mad::mad:

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
^^^ fifty :eek: Somebody is selling horrible fuel in your area or somebody filled an underground diesel tank with gas.

maggietdi

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
2013 Golf TDI

Commonwealth VW. Maybe he meant all of MA, cause 50 is a lot of cars in 90 days. Or maybe he was trying to make me feel better

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
If 1 dealer has seen 50 hpfp failures in 90 days there is a problem with a local fuel source.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Still the same family of fuel pump from Bosch (cp4.xx). The passat uses a similar pump and doesn't seem to have the issue but it's anyone's guess to the improvements made in the q5 fuel system.
Well, that's disappointing. There's also the Mercedes GLK250 diesel for $5000 less. Maybe that has a completely different HPFP.

Edit: The Q7 has the same engine as the Q5 and it seems to have problems with the HPFP. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=367890

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
I'll note that in 2013, the engines in all the 3.0 V6 cars were updated.

And the GLK250 also uses a CP4 pump.

The Benz V6 diesels use a CP3, though.

maggietdi

TDI
2013 Golf TDI
hpfp failure

Could it be that the US government just doesn't want diesel vehicles here in the states. After all diesel is more expensive than gas and is cheaper to produce. In Europe you buy a diesel for longevity and they last a very long time with very few issues especially hpfp problems. And you pretty much can get any vehicle make with a diesel engine option...:confused:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Could it be that the US government just doesn't want diesel vehicles here in the states. After all diesel is more expensive than gas and is cheaper to produce. In Europe you buy a diesel for longevity and they last a very long time with very few issues especially hpfp problems. And you pretty much can get any vehicle make with a diesel engine option...:confused:
Yes, there is a conspiracy. Diesel is more expensive to produce. How do you think the sulfur is removed?

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
Yes, there is a conspiracy. Diesel is more expensive to produce. How do you think the sulfur is removed?
Actually diesel is easier to produce than gasoline. It comes out of the refining process earlier than gasoline. The reason for the higher price is mostly driven by environmental pressure.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It may be a heavier fraction, although gasoline is more plentiful IIRC once you do get to that fraction.

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
According to this article, diesel fuel is cheaper and less energy intensive to produce. Since it's a 2008 article, I assume it refers to ULSD.

Also, if sulfur removal really is costly, gasoline will be increasing in price in the next few years since it will also be required to be "ultra-low sulfur" under the proposed Tier 3 regulations.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
Global market for diesel fuel and the developing world just laps it up. Does not help that the US has no energy policy and pricks like the Koch brothers export everything the US produces.

lsnover

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan, 2010 JSW
Biggest reason is there in the list.

Most trucks use diesels. Trucks use more fuel and are "commercial", hence Government feels more at liberty and gets more $ by taxing them vs. the general transportation/public.

The only reason diesel cost more is the U.S. Govt.