40K DSG Service Cost

audis6avant

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Blue Graphite
Just called my local dealer to inquire on the cost to do the 40K DSG service -- $380

My understanding is that the service includes replacement of the fluid and filter.

Is $380 reasonable?

I also called another dealer in Princeton and was told that they'd have to get back to me on the cost since they've never done service on a DSG to date. Even if they come out cheaper, I wouldn't want to be their first DSG service customer.

For those who've had their DSGs serviced, how much did you pay?

Thanks in advance.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
How far from Princeton are you? I live just outside of Princeton and will have to do the DSG fluid change in a few thousand miles. All we would need is a VAG-COM and a laptop and an afternoon. There's a DSG fluid change procedure thread on here somewhere. Let me know if you're up for it and we'll find a VAG-COM. Maybe someone else in the central Jersey eastern PA area is looking to do the same procedure and has a VAG-COM?

Edit: Here the thread with the procedure - http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=169356

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The DSG service by itself is about $250 at my shop, but the rest of the 40k service (oil change, rotation, filters) puts the total price about $600 or so...shoot from the hip guess.

audis6avant

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Blue Graphite
Vipervnp-

I'm not far from Princeton at all and would definitely be interested in a DIY group project for the DSG service.

If anyone else in the NY/NJ/PA area is interested, please chime in.

Vipervnm

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Package 1
oilhammer said:
You guys know you need a $100 tool, to fill the trans, right? Don't go emptying it and THEN find out you need the tool...LOL! :p

www.samstagsales.com has the proper fill tool.
Haha, thanks. I'm a structural engineer/woodworker so I'm a little anal about check lists and making sure I've got everything I need before I start anything. About the tool, I've read threads on here about a DIY tool that could be made for way less. Oilhammer, I've been taking your advice for a long time now (reading your comments on threads) and respect your opinion. Is the DIY tool made from parts from a hardware store inferior to the point that it's worth the $100 to buy the official tool?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Vipervnm said:
Haha, thanks. I'm a structural engineer/woodworker so I'm a little anal about check lists and making sure I've got everything I need before I start anything. About the tool, I've read threads on here about a DIY tool that could be made for way less. Oilhammer, I've been taking your advice for a long time now (reading your comments on threads) and respect your opinion. Is the DIY tool made from parts from a hardware store inferior to the point that it's worth the $100 to buy the official tool?
I service these cars for a living, so a $100 investment is peanuts for me. I have much more invested in tools than that. Personally, seeing how a shop such as ours charges only $90 labor for this, I cannot see how anyone who can afford a newer TDI can justify the time and aggravation and mess to try and do this yourself especially with a home made tool working on something as complex as the DSG that is in most cases still under warranty. Yeah, that is a mouthful I know.

To me time is money, and the time you'd spend to try and "make" this tool would be poorly spent. Ask yourself how long do you have to work to earn $100. Then weigh that against what you need to do to make a tool that threads into the bottom of the DSG's case, and has a nipple with a hose that can be brought up higher than the level of the check tube inside the bottom of the trans, and that can attach to a funnel or container of DSG fluid. Then ask, will this contraption I made leak this $13/liter or whatever fluid all over when I go to use it?:eek:

Not to mention getting the car raised up so it is PERFECTLY level, running the engine up to temp while watching the appropriate measuring block, then gently draining the excess fluid out... and possibly making a mess...

So yes, I'd either buck up and get the proper tool or just let someone who has one do the job. What might work is if there are a few of you that need this done, and there is a reputable shop closeby you trust, offer to buy them the tool if they will service your car(s) for you the first time or two around. Just a thought. Everyone could pitch in $35 or so, shop won't make any money off of you but they will gain a specific tool that they can use in the future to earn money and you will have found a place you KNOW you can take your DSG to for service! :)

dany_ro

TDI
Jetta 2006
I did the service a few weeks ago with the help from a fellow tdiclub member with his handy dandy vag com. I made the tool for about $20 in plumbing parts at my local Home Depot using the procedure found on this web site. The work is not really difficult but takes a bit of time. Especially feeding the oil to the tranny.

LF06VWJTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 MkV Jetta TDI
dany_ro said:
I did the service a few weeks ago with the help from a fellow tdiclub member with his handy dandy vag com. I made the tool for about $20 in plumbing parts at my local Home Depot using the procedure found on this web site. The work is not really difficult but takes a bit of time. Especially feeding the oil to the tranny.
thumbs up. It's fun thought admit it...:)