Ultimate cup holder mod for B4 Passats, Just say no to the 71.00 VW cup holder!

hgeittmann

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat Wagon
water bottle holders... elegant? perhaps.

ultimate? nope. I gotta give Ray another nod for this one. Years later I'm still loving mine.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Come to think of it, when was it I first joined this thread - 12/05? Over three years later and mine is still not broken, and it's the "OEM". I can see closing it as being an advantage, and if I had to replace, I probably would go for the Mercedes approach (2 individual closing ones). But, I don't generally use it, I use the "passenger seat adjuster" for water if I take any. Generally don't eat/drink in the car unless it's a real trip. It is good having choices. If it's used a lot, I'd probably go for bike bottle holder. But mine isn't used but twice a year, if that. Closing it is nice.

bikeprof

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 Variant white, 1996 Town & Country 3.8 LXI
From rdkern:
"That is elegant. Can't be "closed" to keep out of the way of the passenger, but should not really be "in the way" over that far. If it gets bumped, it won't break. Probably comes in nice colors too."

Yes, they do!
Also come in carbon, stainless steel and titanium(plastics get brittle, fast), anywhere from ~ $20 to ~$80 each.

The ultimate MOD. is so much nicer...

Ray_G

Veteran Member
TDI
98 Jetta TDI
Three plus years later and this thread is still going! Over cup holders! I had 4 of them, I did manage to break one. But it was only 15 bucks to replace! :)

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Cup holders ????

Not sure why one really needs this mod. I found that my coffee/pop can/or cup fits nicely in the lever that moves the seats back and forth. Never spilled anything yet.

Know thats a cheap ass isn't it :D

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Me likey! Mine just got busted recently, although some parts had broken long before. I think I will order a couple of these, too.

Ray_G said:
For anyone that is interested I came up with this mod for my Passat after my dog broke my gold plated VW cup holder. When I called the stealership (I do mean stealership in this case) the informed me that the cup holder was available and was 71.00 *cough* *cough* I told them no thanks. After doing a net search for replacement cup holders and found these:
www.ultimatecupholders.com/fischercupholder.html
They are 13.00 a piece, so for this mod I needed two of them, with shipping the total was right around 30.00.
Here are some pictures of the mod :D :D :D

mackconsult

Veteran Member
TDI
95 TDI Passat Wagon
Sure, its the seat adjuster handle that moves the seat for and aft. I use them all the time as cup holders, they work great. Just in the way when you need to shift the seat. :D

Richard Berg said:
There is/was a factory cup holder?! Never knew that.

slam

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI B4V Wagon
Not sure why one really needs this mod. I found that my coffee/pop can/or cup fits nicely in the lever that moves the seats back and forth. Never spilled anything yet.

Know thats a cheap ass isn't it :D
Mack, I'm with you.

I have a tall narrow coffee mug with a push-button seal. It fits perfectly in the passenger side seat slider lever. It's easy to reach, it's never spilled, and it's less invasive to the passenger. And you pretty much can't break it.

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Ouch, I was going to order 4 of these for the other two B4's but I see the price has gone up from $13 to $25 each. Sorry, they're good (I have them in my B4), but they're not that good.

Looking into other options....

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
Damn, that is one heck of a price change. Guessing there is a much smaller production run than for $13.00 I still have two I purchased at the 2010 TDIFest that I have not installed. Also rebuilt my factory cup holder so it works some of the time.

Also need to do repair work on my leather seats. Might be a good time to mount the Ultimate Cup Holders on the seats, just too the left of my left leg for very easy access.

Noticed I have not driven the B4V very much this year. Partly because of work and partly because I have had more serious maintenance issues with the Passat. And in large part because the new house is sucking up lots of my time and money. So much for a move in ready house. Just means you get to dump money into redecorating.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Ouch, I was going to order 4 of these for the other two B4's but I see the price has gone up from $13 to $25 each. Sorry, they're good (I have them in my B4), but they're not that good.

Looking into other options....

Which ones are you looking at? I went to the site and the folding Fischers are $15 each. 2 are $35 shipped.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Did you go to the link I posted? It goes right to the page on the UC site and says Ultimate Cupholders are $25 each or 2/$45.

For $15 I'll get a few, for $25 I'll look elsewhere.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Todd's link goes to the universal Fischer cupholder. This is the one you want from my review...and is $15.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Did you go to the link I posted? It goes right to the page on the UC site and says Ultimate Cupholders are $25 each or 2/$45

Yes, I went to the link but there was no pic, that's why I asked. Did you go to the link that I posted? All the pics in this thread show the folding Fischer that costs $15 each.

I did this about 6 months ago and it works well.

-Todd

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Yes, there was no pic. I did a Google search on them and that's what was returned. I have a set in my car and they are nice.

I think, since you have to choose a car, that the cupholder or mount is different than the Fischer ones, which accounts for the added expense. Those weren't on the site when I bought mine last time.

Time to get 4 coming, thanks all.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I need to take a picture of the install, but this cup holder works out perfectly. It securely holds even a McDonnalds large iced tea foam cup. I'm very pleased :cool:

-J