What do these fault codes mean?

grasshopper

TDI
none anymore...
P1850 and P1857? P0725 was the engine speed circuit which I replaced but the engine cut out while driving again and the fault lights came back on. The OTC Genisis scanner repeated the same codes as the first time. Before the speed sensor was replaced, I could drive the car but it was very slow to respond to the pedal movement and the engine would shut down if I did not treat it gently and slowly. Now that the sensor has ben replaced it has only died while driving once and it does not seem sensitive to fast movement of the pedal. It is a bit slow to respond to pedal movement however. Someone - Help! WHat is the problem and how much will this cost me? It is a full day trip to a dealer and back.

grasshopper

TDI
none anymore...
Thank You. Now what do I do to fix them? Some other people on here have had the 1850 code and were told it was a relay 109 (?), $20.00 part? Could this be it and what is it?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Can anyone help a forum brother with these rare codes? Any suggestions?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Is everything plugged in tight? To the untrained eye, those all look like the ECU lost communication.

-J

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thank You. Now what do I do to fix them? Some other people on here have had the 1850 code and were told it was a relay 109 (?), $20.00 part? Could this be it and what is it?
Engine Power Supply Relay a.k.a. "Relay 109" Replacement - this is a very inexpensive part - about $20, and it is easy to replace yourself. On older models, it is located on the fuse panel, which is behind a cover on the bottom left corner of the instrument panel. The cover can be removed without tools and the relay can be pulled out of the fuse panel (note the location on the panel and the orientation of the pins on the relay for reference during installation of the new relay). On later models, it is located on the relay panel, which is behind a cover left of the steering column behind the instrument panel, which will require a Torx screwdriver to remove. Once the panel is removed, the replacement procedure is the same as for the older models.

Courtesy of the FAQ! http://www.tdiclub.com/TDIFAQ/TDiFAQ-7.html#j

Typically, relais 109 failure causes intermittant cut-out of the engine, eventually leading to complete stalling and/or no start. Sometimes resolves after cooling down.

Change relais and see if codes persist.

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
I'm getting P0705, P0725, P1780, P1850 in a 2001 Golf TDI auto 170k.

Been happening a few times over the last several months. Just cleaned gounds on computer stuff under the cowl and under the battery. IIR it used to get even more codes - I may be able to hunt them down. I didn't take it too seriousely until the grounds were cleaned (it is a VW after all).

Symptoms would be in safe mode - only second gear - or so it seemed. And/or wont start but will after several attempts. I learned to take my cheapie scanner everywhere. First time this happened I was 75 miles form home in the mountains.

Is the relay 109 the preferred treatment?

It kinda sounds like was too many electrical NON-connections to just be the one relay - doesn't it?

Last edited:

rjsbidd

TDI
02 jetta wagon
I'm having the same problem, replaced the "109" and the ckp (crank) sensor. Still having the problem ,it will run better if I shift through the gears(automatic trany). It will not shift into high gear. Any help would be greatly appreciated

davebugs

Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI Automatic, MKIV rear axle bushing install tools
My 01m diff died and left me on railroad tracks 15k later.

FYI.

No codes since reman trans..