Do I shoot it? Electrical problems!

EddieF

TDI
Passat 1999 V6 Silver
My 1999 V6 Passat TDi has gone nuts on me. I left it in a secure airport car park for a week over Christmas. When I collected it, it was covered in ice. It wouldn't unlock on the 'blipper', I had to unlock the passenger door using the key. Car started, but on the way home, the interior lights and electric windows wouldn't work properly, but once when I pressed the interior light switch, the doors locked! A couple of days later everything worked, but not the remote locking. I left the car parked, locked using the key and two hours later the alarm kept sounding for no reason. Next day I changed the battery which was getting sluggish. Locks and interior lights working occasionally. Yesterday, everything seemed to work so I left it locked using the remote to see what would happen. A few hours later, the alarm sounded and wouldn't stop no matter what I did. Even disconnecting the battery didn't stop it! In the end I had to cut a wire to the alarm sounder to stop it. HELP!! I can't imagine what the problem is. I checked all the fuses which are okay. I believe there's a special fuse which breaks connection to the windows if they're frozen to stop the motors burning out, but I can't see why the locks and int. lights would be affected. It's booked in to the VW dealer next week as a last resort! Sob...

EddieF

TDI
Passat 1999 V6 Silver
I finally got the problem solved, courtesy of my VW dealer. It seems Passats can be prone to water leaks into the dash on the left side, I believe around the pollen filter. Mine is a UK model, so I don't know if left hand drive models will have the same problems. The dealer had another Passat in the 'shop with exactly the same symptoms. Water had got into the 'modules' for the locking and interior lights causing the weird happenings. After three days at the dealer it's now ready for collection. I hope they have a seat for when I pay. Needless to say I'm a bit sick over what seems to be a design problem. So much for the tv ads which dwelt on how well it was designed...

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
There was a similar problem in "Car Mechanics" a month or two ago- the controller is under the carpet on the passenger side...