Mass Air flow problem

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
Hello all,

I am having black smoke and I get not get over 3k rpms. I am pretty sure the mass air flow sensor is bad, but I replaced it 2 times in the last year. The only reason I know its bad is because I can unplug it and I have no problem getting to 4K rpms. Should I buy another Bosch maf sensor or should I try a different brand? Oh yeah, I have a 03 Golf manual with 226k with EGR delete and Kerma Dlc 520s

Thanks,

Phil

2000alhVW

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
I suggest you start looking at why your motor isn't getting air, because I'm willing to bet the MAF is correctly reporting low airflow.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What fault code are you getting? You should get that info to try and narrow down where to look. Lots of things can cause smoke, including a non-working turbo, clogged intake manifold, faulty N75 valve, worn or broken vacuum lines, bad turbo actuator, boost leak, cracked intercooler to name a few.

If you want some expert advice take a little time Saturday after next and drive up to Cedar Springs to Kirk Blackmore's fall get-together. They'll help you figure out what's up. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=489967

Last edited:

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
No fault codes at all, even with the EGR delete. I have replaced the turbo, N75, intake manifold, vacuum lines. I have not replaced the intercooler, I guess I just never thought the intercooler would be the problem since when I unplug the MAF sensor my performance returns.

philipvitale

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Golf
I agree, any suggestion on how to check your motor for air flow? I took off the intake and it looked pretty open there.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Where did you buy the MAF? What's the part number on it? Maybe it's the wrong one.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
Do you still have the snow screen on your car? I have seen those severely clogged.

ktmkris

Veteran Member
TDI
MALONE TUNES DEALER , 2005 beetle tdi dsg, 1998 vw beetle 2.slow, 2003 beetle turbo s, 1998 beetle 2.0, 2006 beetle bew
I have heard maf could have a connector push back into housing or inside the plug. I would want to make sure they looked good, and maybe chase the wires a bit