Injector Pump: Should I rebuild or throw this one away?

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Hi All,

Long time lurker. I finally bought my first TDI a couple weeks ago: 2001 MK4 Golf with the ALH engine code. Really stoked.

I bought it knowing it had issues. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and knew it was going to be a fun project.

Now for the problem.

Previous owner ran some dirty Bio diesel in it. He replaced the injection pump 2 years ago with a new unit. ALso replaced the fuel tank, lines and filter.

I pulled vacuum on the system at a couple spots and confirmed no issue. Even removed the fuel sender cleaned and poked inside the tank to see only minor debris.

I opend the IP, Quantity adjuster has a lot of contamination / rust / coil paint that has flaked off. Diving further into the pump, I removed the metering block (assembly housing the QA coil / cam / spring assy) and found the attached pictures. Looks like surface rust on the steel parts in there :/. Not super happy, but I realize this may just need a new pump. Since this really is a project, I would like to avoid the cost of an IP.

I have a IP seal kit coming in the mail.

Questions:

1) I would like to take the IP into pieces, ultrasonically clean and reassemble. Is there a procedure to do so? I searched, but haven't found anything.

2) Has anyone done this with success before?

3) Advise please?
:)Thanks!

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Agreed. I'm not going to run it 'as is'. My questions were related to if anyone could point me in the right direction here short of buying a new IP. Thanks.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Salvage yard, buy a used one and hammer down

Some I've bought we're 30-50 bux and haven't had a bad one yet, I've found 2 or 3 11mm pumps that have been everything they were supposed to be

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Salvage yard, buy a used one and hammer down

Some I've bought we're 30-50 bux and haven't had a bad one yet, I've found 2 or 3 11mm pumps that have been everything they were supposed to be

Whoa, that's great! I'd like to go that route. I'll have to look around at my junk yards...not sure they have any TDI's there.

Since I am new to TDIs, is it only the VE pump that will work with the ALH motor?

Thanks

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 to 03 Jetta golf beetle.

I have a few spares bagged up for down the road problems if they arise.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Row 52 is a great resource to search the yards so you can watch for them and not spend time talking to the retards working there

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Row 52 is a great resource to search the yards so you can watch for them and not spend time talking to the retards working there

Just checked all the pick-and-pulls around me...not a one diesel. All gassers.

What would it take to pry one of those bagged-up IPs from you?:)

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
I hate to but give me a day to think about it...I've got 3 of these things (ALH cars)

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
All the parts except the QA are fairly easy to clean. It's a worthwhile core to a rebuilder so I wouldn't throw it away.

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
I hate to but give me a day to think about it...I've got 3 of these things (ALH cars)

Understood. I’d really appreciate if I could buy one from you for a reasonable price. You’d be doing me a huge favor to get the old girl running.:) Thanks again for the consideration. :)

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Not sure the bio was homebrew, but from somewhere in Nor CA I assume.

jdbrinkman

TDI
2000 TDI Jetta, 2010 jetta tdi
those 2 wire ends on the quantity adjuster need to be soldered back in place?? how did you get them off ?? ....

my pump might need a cleaning . no start with a p1562 quantity adjuster upper limit reached, just happened today ... THANKS

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
those 2 wire ends on the quantity adjuster need to be soldered back in place?? how did you get them off ?? ....

my pump might need a cleaning . no start with a p1562 quantity adjuster upper limit reached, just happened today ... THANKS
I was getting the P1562 and P1563 (upper / lower limit QA) error. That's one of the reasons I opened up the pump. Sure enough the cam wasn't rotating freely in the solenoid QA. Oh how i wish it was only a little debris and not this giant mess in there...yikes.

Those wires make contact under two left-threaded copper screws on the top board. I just unscrewed them and it released the wires.:)

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
All the parts except the QA are fairly easy to clean. It's a worthwhile core to a rebuilder so I wouldn't throw it away.
Thanks! I hope it won't come to that. I'd like to have confidence that I could disassemble the pump, clean and reassemble in my garage with basic tools and a ultrasonic cleaner...

Ever hear of anyone doing that...? With Success?

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Well I do that regularly when I rebuild pumps but I'm also "factory" trained. If you know what surfaces are what, you can actually sand/wire wheel a lot of that stuff off. Mind you, there are some surfaces that if you touch with sandpaper they are done for. There are some passages in the pump that are drilled and then capped off with a ball bearing. You won't be able to clean those short of soaking and blowing cleaner through them.

When I worked in a fuel shop, we did rebuild a few pumps that looked as bad as yours. There were extra cleaning fees so typically the customer chose to buy a clean core and start there for about the same price.

U4ick

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
rohls......If you want a pump from pick n pull you will have to monitor row 52 diligently......pretty much daily, for a tdi to hit the yard, then go and get it PDQ, before someone else gets it and puts it on ebay. PNP calls it a fuel distributor and charges about $36 for it ....... with their BS fees and charges you'll pay close to $50 out the door.
Or you could buy a used one off of ebay, about $150, 10 mm, very good chance it will work just fine.
I would not invest any time or money in the one you have.

just my .02 cents worth. :)

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
rohls......If you want a pump from pick n pull you will have to monitor row 52 diligently......pretty much daily, for a tdi to hit the yard, then go and get it PDQ, before someone else gets it and puts it on ebay. PNP calls it a fuel distributor and charges about $36 for it ....... with their BS fees and charges you'll pay close to $50 out the door.
Or you could buy a used one off of ebay, about $150, 10 mm, very good chance it will work just fine.

Thanks a bunch! Yeah, I’m not willing to wait for a TDI to appear in the pick and pull....past that phase in my life. I searched a bit on Flea-Bay...there are a few, just you never know what you’re gonna get. I think I’d rather buy one from a fellow TDI Club member and have confidence it’s been refreshed by someone who appreciates these neat motors.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
eBay is probably your best bet, just went through what I've got and I've only got the 11mm pump that shut down and the QA was full of metal and the 10mm that came off the car with unknown mileage, the car had been worked on a whole bunch before I took over. Thought I had 3 but I tore one down for a learning experience and some screws that stripped out

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
eBay is probably your best bet, just went through what I've got and I've only got the 11mm pump that shut down and the QA was full of metal and the 10mm that came off the car with unknown mileage, the car had been worked on a whole bunch before I took over. Thought I had 3 but I tore one down for a learning experience and some screws that stripped out

Cool, no worries. Thanks for the help.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Dutch Auto Parts has some very reasonably priced IP's that have been cleaned and tested. Frans is a respected supplier here on TDIClub.

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Dutch Auto Parts has some very reasonably priced IP's that have been cleaned and tested. Frans is a respected supplier here on TDIClub.

Very cool; thanks. I didn't find anything on their site, but contacted them via email.

:cool:

casey823

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta sedan, 2002 golf tdi
If he doesnt respond quickly just call him, his shipping is very fast considering it comes from the netherlands. I got a shipping notice from him last thursday for some injectors and a turbo and it showed up monday! Great guy to work with.

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T

Still $50.00 for an injection pump is amazingly cheap. You go to any other wrecker that pump would be 3-4x that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Down here in VA I usually pay between 30 and 60 for an IP

EDIT: yes PNP is by far the cheapest usually. I've got a place in Texas that sells transmissions for 99 bux and super cheap price on everything else

Last edited:

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Whoa. That is cheap...! :)

Down here in VA I usually pay between 30 and 60 for an IP

EDIT: yes PNP is by far the cheapest usually. I've got a place in Texas that sells transmissions for 99 bux and super cheap price on everything else

rohls

TDI
MK4 golf
Thanks!

He responded today...!

If he doesnt respond quickly just call him, his shipping is very fast considering it comes from the netherlands. I got a shipping notice from him last thursday for some injectors and a turbo and it showed up monday! Great guy to work with.