Meet Lisa, my '96 1.9 TDI

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Think it's about time I add a build thread here. I have a 1996 TDI that I drove since new. Parked it last year due to rust and now slowly going through a full restoration. plan is to have it restored when it gets to 25 years old, as that is the minimum age in Belgium to get an oldtimer car plate.

Readout of the sticker:
PRCode: 1AC = anti-lock brake system (ABS)
PRCode: 1BA = standard suspension/shock absorption
PRCode: 1G7 = space-saving spare wheel (radial tire)
PRCode: 1KD = disc brakes, rear
PRCode: 1LY = disc brakes, front
PRCode: 1MZ = steering wheel for airbag system
PRCode: 1N1 = power steering
PRCode: 2A2 = delivery equipment, ballast weight
PRCode: 3AD = outer right rear view mirror: convex, manually adjustable from inside
PRCode: 3BC = outer left rear view mirror: flat, manually adjustable from inside
PRCode: 3YG = door pockets, front
PRCode: 8GD = alternator 90A
PRCode: 8L3 = roof antenna
PRCode: 8RM = eight loudspeakers (passive)
PRCode: 8TC = rear fog light for driving on the right
PRCode: B0C = component parts set, complying with vehicle type for Belgium, various parts
PRCode: C0K = steel wheels 6J x 14 offset 38
PRCode: G0C = 5-speed manual transmission
PRCode: H1L = tires 185/65 R 14 T
PRCode: J1D = battery 380 A (72 Ah)
PRCode: M2K = 4-cyl. turbo diesel eng. 1.9 L/66 kW TDIand MVEG 2 base engine is T2F
PRCode: Q4N = standard front seats w/ integr. storage trays and angular adjustment, left
PRCode: T2F = components for base engine, unit 028.C

Edit: Oldtimer age got changed to 30 years. So I'll register it as a normal car for a few years :/

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Options added or to be added:
Reading light front

Reading lights above the rear doors
Cruise control
MFA
Electric mirrors
Trunk release

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Now silver, but will be repainted Candy White in the future :) Black trim will also be painted body color.

Last edited:

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Here's an old interior picture. All I've got at the moment as it's stripped out for restoration. But dash wise, no knee pads.

Engine:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Nice, it has party seats...

I like the black textured bumper tops and side moldings. We didn't get any of that hear.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Yeah, The old seats were torn, so I got these from a Dutch guy. he changed to leather when it was almost new and these had been in his shed ever since. They are almost new! And I like the colors :)
I'm gonna paint the bumpers on mine. Completely painted was an option on the high-end models here. And I think it looks better.
Parts wise: Found and bought a US trunk lid liner from a German guy, and got some misc parts from my VW dealer at 50% off :D

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Does car have the two rubberized black strips / tracks (for roof rack) that run the entire length of the roof, or, did it come with OEM filler strips instead?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
2 black strips. Is there any other kind? Never seen anything other over here.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Some time back, local VW dealer showed me (maybe on ETKA? ) a diagram that showed some type of filler strip that is installed in place of the rubber strip and creates a finished smooth appearance.

I have not seen such strips in person.

TDIL3dad

Veteran Member
TDI
96 B4, 96 B4V project
Didn't VW in Europe offer CD and cassette storage units by Fischer and Votex that looked something like this?
This particular model is for a Porsche or other VW models.

I think they fit in the storage opening under the ashtray ??

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Fischer cassette and CD boxes were available in the accessories catalog here in the US but you see a lot more of the cassette boxes vs the CD containers. The factory installs tend to take up the entirety of the console opening so they are kind of a pita TBH.

Steve

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
It's off to the body shop for a full stripdown, rust repair, and respray in Candy White :)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Underside is almost done :) All rust holes repaired and the small round holes in the floor welded closed. They have no use other then starting to rust around those damn rubber plugs

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
No idea :) Hope to have it repainted in August. While he does the body, I'm striping and cleaning up the engine. It goes slowly, but it will be done right! In 40 years I wanna be the grandma still driving her first car :)

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI

Added new insulation and a protective sleeve to the wiring of the ABS pump. As usual, the whole insulation was gone. it disintegrated on touch. Had to solder the wires on top of the brass plates instead of under them as I couldn't take the whole thing apart. grinded it a bit flatter and covered it with a bit of insulation tape so it doesn't contacts the metal top lid and short circuits.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Looks like you did the heater box blend door foam replacement while you had the box out?

Did you replace the heater core at the same time?

lisab4

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat B4 1.9 TDI
Yup, replaced the foam with a very strong tape (Soudal Butyband), and the heater core with a new one. Core was still perfect, but after 20 years, I wasn't going to take any chances!

Last edited: