Hatch won't open

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
When I hit the delatch button on the drivers door or the key button I don't hear the usual click [it's softer]. I tried to push down on the hatch while pushing the button, still won't open. I got the key to go in the key slot, but it won't turn after spraying lube in the key hole, so far. I tried to take off the inside panel. 2 screws came out, but it won't come off.
Any ideas??

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hit it while pressing the button, it's a pretty crappy set up, had the same problem with the hatch but kept at it and managed to get it to finally open.
When you eventually get in take a look at how the set up works, you'll see why it can be a pita

If you need to though the panel just pops off after removing the 2 screws out the pockets. Just get fingers in the middle. The clips are a bit vicious.

moparvwfrak

TDI
02 Jetta TDI, 99 MK4 Jetta TDI (parts), 99 mk4 Jetta gasser
i found that my jetta had the same issue with the trunk. what caused my issue was a plastic connector at the latch. it had slipped on the connecting rod to the actuator and wasn't giving enough pull to release the latch. that might be what is going on with yours.