EGR Cooler VW warranty

jennogle

TDI
Gray/Black 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I took my car in for the Recall Fix, etc. and all was done except the dealer claimed that the EGR Cooler is leaking coolant and needs to be replaced. They say this is due to a "bend" near the lower coolant pipe leading into it. They think the bend was due to something my regular mechanic did ???, so they won't cover replacing the EGR Cooler under the extended warranty. To my knowledge, my regular mechanic has not worked on this part of my car. The dealer has quoted me $1400 for the repair. What should I do?

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Go to other VW. I dont think they are honest.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Then go to your local mechanic who has worked on your car before VW and see what he sees then go from there.

jennogle

TDI
My local mechanic quoted me $800 for the EGR cooler. He can't do a warranty repair, of course. And he has no idea how the coolant pipe got bent. Dealer says no way it spontaneously bent. ??? The dealer offered to do the repair if I pay them $1400, and send in for VW to review and 'possibly reimburse'. Should I do that or just have my local guy do it?

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Thats like an Russian roulette.... they may NOT reimburse you if they found it to be tampered with. You would be out of $1400. If it was me, I would go DPD/EGR delete and be done with it. Also CP3 pump swap. You will never look back. You will enjoy the car a lot more. Do you have emission testing and inspection required in your state? In FL we dont so thats why I went this route as I mentioned recently.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Do the $800 repair, then the emission fix, get paid, then delete/tune at the first sign of emissions issues.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
At the end of the day, if the pipe leading into the cooler is bent and leaking, then that is not the fault of VW.

Have you seen the bent pipe directly? is it bent? if so, whoever bent it should be the one held responsible.

jennogle

TDI
At the end of the day, if the pipe leading into the cooler is bent and leaking, then that is not the fault of VW.

Have you seen the bent pipe directly? is it bent? if so, whoever bent it should be the one held responsible.
No, I haven't seen it. I suspect the people that told me about it (the stealership) are the ones who bent it, though I have no proof...

jennogle

TDI
Do the $800 repair, then the emission fix, get paid, then delete/tune at the first sign of emissions issues.
Already had the big fix done back in November and got my $. I don't know what y'all mean by "delete" ... Are you saying you just removed the EGR system entirely? I live in TN so there are no state inspections of any kind.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Fix warranty states if it sets a check light the problem is warrantied at no cost.

They cant fix it if it had a check light on when they did the fix.

Sounds like you nee to open a complaint at VW

Last edited:

jennogle

TDI
Fix warranty states if it sets a check light the problem is warrantied at no cost.

They cant fix it if it had a check light on when they did the fix.

Sounds like you nee to open a complaint at VW
It didn't have a check light on when they did the egr fix - or since. They noticed the leaking coolant when they were doing the fix and opted not to replace the egr cooler because of the bent pipe. I have no way to prove the pipe wasn't bent prior to their performing the fix.