Will the 2008 GTI get the common rail tdi motor?

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I'm confused. For 2008 will there be a tdi in the GTI or just in the older styl Golf?

Guys, I have been eargerly awaiting the day that I can purchase a 2008 GTI w/ the new common rail tdi motor but now someone is telling me that the new tdi motor will only be in the old style Golf body?

I was under the impression that the GTI was a replacement model for the Golf.

It matters because if I can't just order a GTI w/ the tdi in 2008 than I will go ahead and purchase a current Jetta.

Can anyone please advise? Thanks.

Suns_PSD

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My questions is: will the 2008 GTI get the tdi motor?

Someone (a salesman) said that we will get the tdi in the older Golf body style similiar to what was sold in 2005 but that the tdi will NOT be available in the new GTI body style.

Thanks in advance for sharing what you know.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
To the original poster: Are you confused about "GTI" and "Rabbit" and "Golf" nomenclature? Your post suggests that you are.

"Rabbit" (2006 onward) replaces "Golf" in the lineup. The "Golf" nameplate is history in the USA. The last "Golf" that was sold was a Mk4 vehicle, and again, those are history in USA. The "Rabbit" is a renamed Golf 5, it is the same car as that sold as a VW Golf 5 overseas.

The "GTI" is the same shell as a "Rabbit" i.e. same bodyshell as Golf 5, but with uprated suspension and different trim and a stronger (gasoline only, so far) engine.

Now, as for the TDI engine.

The only thing that VW has OFFICIALLY announced is the Jetta Mk5 TDI with the common-rail engine sometime in 2008. There has been no announcement of diesels in the Rabbit (or GTI).

In Europe, there are GT versions sold with higher-powered TDI engines. It remains to be seen whether the North American marketplace would accept something like that. Personally, I think it would, but the decision is not up to me.

Expect the common-rail TDI engine to be sold in the Rabbit (Not GTI!) sometime after its launch in the Jetta.

And it will be the commonrail engine. None of the prior engines, P-D or otherwise, meet the new emission requirements.