2013 Volkswagen Beetle TDI Convertible First Drive

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
What? No pictures? Know I have to figure out how to get the wife to "suggest" we get rid of the JSW for a beetle convertible.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2002, green, Eurotek STG1
Diesel-ness

(stands with fist raised to the heavens)

Hey I wonder if they make kits yet that will make the NB look more like the NNB?

Last edited:

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
I have the distinct impression that the writer didn't actually drive it. Its a puff piece.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
What? No pictures? Know I have to figure out how to get the wife to "suggest" we get rid of the JSW for a beetle convertible.
Now those are 2 totally different vehicles! Why would you want the Beetle vert over the wagon?

I like both but I couldn't justify that small of a car as a daily driver.

Last edited:

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
Looked at one at a dealer today...the gasser is 200 hp and a spoiler below the window, lol, I have to admit they look like a gang banger cousin from out of town, lol...in a good way :). Cable had several TDIs sitting around, I need some money!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Now those are 2 totally different vehicles! Why would you want the Beetle vert over the wagon?

I like both but I couldn't justify that small of a car as a daily driver.
Beetle might be a little more fun to pound on than the JSW. My wife says absolutely not. Still has bad memories about all the electrical issues with the 2000 beetle

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Beetle might be a little more fun to pound on than the JSW. My wife says absolutely not. Still has bad memories about all the electrical issues with the 2000 beetle
That 2000 Beetle was probably made in MEXICO. The Mexican VW Factories had a lot of union-inspired sabotage.

But, in my 2000 Beetle, the TDi engine was built in Germany, so it wasn't all a loss.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My JSW is made in Mexico. My 03 Avalanche was made in Mexico. This conversation has been beat to death in other threads.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I have (had) VWs built in Wolfsburg, Austria, Belgium, Mexico and the USA. Best build quality by far was Wolfsburg 1989 Jetta Carat. Second are the Mexican cars. Worst by far are the USA built ones. Nothing wrong with Mexican built VWs.

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
Looked at one at a dealer today...the gasser is 200 hp and a spoiler below the window, lol, I have to admit they look like a gang banger cousin from out of town, lol...in a good way :). Cable had several TDIs sitting around, I need some money!
Last time I was in there they had a beautiful Toureg up on the curb by the entrance. It twas gorgeous.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
I tried to keep my eyes straight ahead when I went in there for a t-stat housing, lol.
When I am forced to go to the dealer for parts, I usually bend over, grab my ankles and walk in backwards, so seeing the cars on the showroom floor is a non-issue.

NegativeEd

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Dieselgate
My wife may be getting one of these today if the stars align, i.e. we can find one. I'm not a convertible enthusiast, but I won't be driving it. Now if I could convince her 1) to drive a stick and 2) there's almost no way she'll break the tranny just trying to learn how to drive it all will be well.

Rickstah

Veteran Member
TDI
I went in for a CTS yesterday and broke down and looked at a couple...TDI, and the Turbo...they are definitely putting out a different vibe these days :)...the turbo with the spoler and the red color and the...sigh...auto...still, it was pulling at me to test drive it...which would have been dangerous in multiple ways, lol.