Helop! 1999 NB Fuel Door wont open. Manual release?? Need fuel! can't open fuel door.

Ironforger

Veteran Member
Hello,

I have a 1999 NB TDI. The fuel door wont open. I tried the switch on the drivers door, of course, but it wont open! I think I hear a click back there, but it's just not popping. Any suggestions? How to troubleshoot and is there a manual release somehow in the trunk?

Thanks!:confused:

pcjr

Veteran Member
TDI
2002, Jetta, Baltic, 2010 Jetta Sedan
fuel door

Ironforger said:
Hello,

I have a 1999 NB TDI. The fuel door wont open. I tried the switch on the drivers door, of course, but it wont open! I think I hear a click back there, but it's just not popping. Any suggestions? How to troubleshoot and is there a manual release somehow in the trunk?

Thanks!:confused:
I believe that there is a cable release behind the carpet in the trunk near the fuel door.

hank miller

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
In most cars you can use a pen (soft plastic, metal is bad for the paint job) to push into the latch and open the door.

Use the cable in the trunk first though. Also be careful - I pulled this cable out of one car by yanking too hard.

Note that my experiences in this area are not with VW cars! These are what have worked on other makes, I'm not sure how/if they will apply, but they could be useful)

02AutoWag

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon (5-speed swapped)
The cable is behind the round plastic panel. It is not under the carpet.
Use key to pry open.
Find cable wrapped in foam-like sheath.
Pull cable firmly, no need to yank it though.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
I lost the computer last week or I"d give you the direct link. The beetle page has a complete write up on the cable replacement. You need to do that. Actuator works but the cable is frozen.