ran it out of fuel...wont start.

ensanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 1999.5, black
I ran my car out of fuel, because my gauges are screwy. Anyway, I bought a hand pump and hooked it to my return fuel line and sucked diesel through the system...and it still will not start. I was actually assuming that I ran out of fuel. It was warm, I ran in to my house to get something and when I tried starting it back it just cranked over, but would not start. It is still doing the same thing. The glow plug light is on so I know it is not the 109 relay. I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions.... One thing that popped into my head was my cluster, my speedo, my fuel gauge, and my odometer have been screwy is there any way that it could affect the immobolizer?? It is a 99.5 jetta TDI. Thanks
Nick

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
If you actually ran dry you will need to loosen your injector lines to let the air out as well. This is best done with two people, as you don't want to do more than loosen one line at a time and tighten it again as soon as you get fuel. Take care, as the injectors run at very high pressure.

Most, if not all, 99.5 Jettas don't have an immobilizer, so that isn't likely a problem.

ensanity

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 1999.5, black
Thanks for the info, I will try that as soon as the snow lets up if I can. I thought that all mkIV's had immobolizers? Oh well... Thanks again
Nick

RaysirX

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Try spraying a little starting fluid in the intake system
It happened to me this weekend on the interstate

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
NO.

That could kill the person who tries it.

Do you want a death on your hands, RaysirX? If not, I suggest you delete your post. :mad:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Dave_D said:
If you actually ran dry you will need to loosen your injector lines to let the air out as well. This is best done with two people, as you don't want to do more than loosen one line at a time and tighten it again as soon as you get fuel. Take care, as the injectors run at very high pressure.
Oh, bull! There's nothing wrong with loosening all 4 lines at the same time. Bleeds air much faster, and you stop cranking as soon as you see the slightest moisture. Tighten all 4, turn the key, and VRRRROOOOOM! :)

OTOH, starting fluids and TDIs don't mix at all. Great way to trash the engine.

l1o9s7t6

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, sedan 2002 blue
RaysirX said:
Try spraying a little starting fluid in the intake system
It happened to me this weekend on the interstate
keep that up and you will need to post the pics of you head after it is ripped off the engine.