CR140 Power: Round One

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta CR140, 2010 Corvette Z06
So as some of you may know that I have been stressing the push for aftermarket support on new CR engines...

Being Shipped to me as we speak...
2.5 inch Upgraded Downpipe
3.0 inch custom exhaust Downpipe back
LP EGR delete to stop IC icing
Clutch masters clutch
CR170 injectors
Custom tuning to match hardware

What's happening is I'm going to attempt a timeline comparison of dyno pulls during the different rounds of CR upgrades. There is going to be dynos done between hardware upgrades and have my first event coming up on April 7th that I'm striving to make. It's a dyno day with money prizes going to the top powerband in each class. I was going to compete in diesel class but decided to go in 4 cylinder class to have better odds.

Round Two
Will be coming soon with big turbo upgrade that has the option of compound turbo upgrade
CR180 head
2200mbar hpfp

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
this should be a nice project. I look forward to seeing what you do with it. If you end up going compounds, you might also want to grab a set of European 16.5:1 pistons.

I want one of those CR180 heads! I was just checking out the pics from Ruben tonight. The exhaust ports look great. I should slice up one of my spare heads to see exactly what I can get out of it for port size.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Louis, all the newer heads have this ports, not only CR180, the pic I posted was from lower power version, CAAA engine IIRC.. then you can choose between Piezo and Solenoid injectors.. engines are very common here in europe

new style is recognizeable at the way the injectors are fastned and the EGR passage running through the cyl head at hearbox side.

What CR do the US-Spec engine have?

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I am very interested in both tdisyncro and your thread storx,
I might have missed the page or post the difference between piezo and soleniod injectors. Does stock ecu have the ability to use both just difference in tuning? Or is a aftermarket ecu mandatory?

I am lurking on a few peoples pages and just gathering information as I am newer to diesel, but caught the bug bad.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
sounds like fun, how much $ are you planning to drop on this experiment?

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
I am shopping around so not a lot really. Much less then what I spent on the vette

KraftwerkB6

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Awesome thread!!
IN! to see how this all turns out since there is a lot of talk about the heads,injectors,turbos, and what all mounts up and works together.
the 170 injectors and 180 head is sweet i hope it all works out!

stuckinneutral

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Blue Graphite Golf TDI
Very nice, I really want this but I'm still saving for it. How loud would you say it is now from 1-10? 10 being the loudest.

storx

Veteran Member
TDI
Very nice, I really want this but I'm still saving for it. How loud would you say it is now from 1-10? 10 being the loudest.
With muffler you can hardly hear it more then stock with windows up... with window down and muffler you get just turbine sound similar to how a diesel truck sounds the video was with nothing but down pipe

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
gawd that sounds sweet i cant wait to do mine....anyone answer for me why the cr has less turbo noise then alhs? Like alh straight pipe when you shift theres major turbo but cr is pretty calm

TDI racer

TDI
IBIZA PD300
Storx> for real gain you need to replace IC ( ryan audi S3 will be good ) and ****y plastic intake manifold ( take it from cr170 ) . We just build the same car with similar mods.

TDI racer

TDI
IBIZA PD300
Nothing, until you are not runing high boost. Why from the factory CR140 comes with plastic and CR170 with aluminum?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
All newer engines are plastic, just because it's cheaper I imagine? if you break the plastic manifold just from boost I think I would worry about a few other things before that

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
What can you tune a cr 170 to (with just a tune)? 200 whp?

What are people doing to get more out of cr engines?

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
K. Thanks. So I know we aren't supposed to talk about DPF removal but what if you retro'd a cr engine into a vehicle that didn't have a DPF? With a gtb2260 what could you do with otherwise stock engine components? Are there injector options to get to 250?

I see Ryanp's bkd build where he's hitting these numbers with a 16v pd. Is it possible on a cr?

cooper426

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exc. 2001 Golf TDI
Just installed my complete PDE exhaust with Malone ECU and DSG tune. It pulls way harder than stock, and shifts nice. My only complaint is the noise, some may find it "cool". I may install a second muffler on the rear to help get rid of the rattle noise when pushing it.

I purchased the exhaust used for a good price. I had a company called Rawtek from montreal install my exhaust. They showed me there exhaust for the CR and is way better built than the PDE one. It is HD compare to the PDE one and has many ohter upgrades. They have not come down to an exact price but will be around PDE price.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I also added a center muffler on my B7 (exeo) to help to get rid of the drone after the dpf was removed.. without it it really was too loud to drive every day, especially for people in on the back seats.