05 TDI into Suzuki Sierra/Samurai/sj413

Bluesuzy

TDI
None yet!
Hello from the land of Aus!

My project atm is a 88 Lwb Suzuki Sierra. I am at the stage of wondering what engine to put into it.

I have researched abit on the 1.9TDI on here but they all seem to be year 00' and under because of less wiring and immoboliser issues, And a hell of alot more easier variants. We did not get many variants here, And all our years are 00'++ e.g. 1.9beetle,golf,caddy,jetta probably some other variants like audi's etc but all very high pricing. Immobolisers were compulsry from 00'.
here.
I have come across a 05' golf 1.9TDI without the turbo, cheap enough so i can do the conversion, i just need to know what parts to collect. I have read the shopping lists..Turbo will be extra, probably guessing max $1000ish 2nd hand from somewhere. There seems to be alot of 1.9 tdi smashed caddy's also, alot are tdi. Same motor? Now if only i could get a complete smashed one for cheap..

The Suzuki sierra is very basic, So i may run into problems running the motor as in what cluster i can/need to use and im sure alot of other things. Sierra speedo and odometer is cable driven. I will then need to convert the odometer and speedo to suit the tyres im running for legalities here.

Here is some pics anyway for your viewing pleasure :)
How i bought the rust bucket off ebay:

In process of rebuilds:

And how it is recently, All guards are cut out now though:

So, i am chasing a more power than a common swap suzuki g16b efi, Which the tdi has. And better fuel economy to push these tyres and weight over long distance. Which the tdi will have.

Would probably run the vitara/sidekick gearbox, Sierra transfer. Have Toyota diffs and 35" KM2's.
As you can see, I'm not affraid to make things fit. The only thing i am worried about is the wiring!!!

Thoughts?

Last edited:

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
Toyota 4x4 TDI, 2004 Allroad TDI
Looks like a pretty awesome swap to me! From what i understand, a tuner can delete the immobilizer and the need to use the VW cluster. Im not sure if you are using a PD or VE engine, if it is a VE such as a ALH or something similar the wiring won't be too bad. There is lots of documentation on the ALH and you shouldn't have too many problems.

As far as gearboxes go, acme makes adapters to mate the TDI to a samurai, sidekick or toyota transmission. From what i have heard about the first two, i doubt they will be able to take much torque if you start increasing the TDI's performance. If you are looking for Toyota axles, i would recommend finding them with 4.10 gears or lower to keep the revs down.

Looking forwards to the swap!

Luke

Bluesuzy

TDI
None yet!
Ah thanks luke. I have read through your drama's. Seem to be a heap with modifying things. Im planning to keep everything stock for reliability.

I have read through the Acme adaptors, They look pretty simple. I will probably make them. Some good saving to be had there..

Is there a link to how i can tell what motor is what?

More research! ah fun..

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
I also made an adapter for cost reasons, i have heard that acme's service is second to none though. If you can make the file, it is very cheap to have it CNC cut.

I am assuming it will be a Pumpe-Duse engine because that is what they were here in North America after 2004. I haven't come across much info on wiring them, doesn't mean it's impossible or not out there though.

Very nice job with the frame resto and 4-link setup, one day the Yota will look like that. What did you use to strip and coat the frame?

Luke

Bluesuzy

TDI
None yet!
Just used a wire wheel and 4". Then lightly brush coated with killrust undercoat. My area is very wet and dewy, On top of a mountain, So we are always in rainclouds..Not good for bare metal.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
greetings from Up Over!! :) ...cool project!! ...you may want to consider a toyota transmission/transfer case due to the greater torque/power of the PD engine as the tiny sammy trans may yield under force...."acme" also makes a toyota kit for this reason....good luck!!

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Hey Mate
Iam doing the same thing only a short W/B 87. Using all toy running gear and axles along with Acme adapter on the 96 1Z. This weekend I am trying to do the ECU wiring not hard but timely. With tuning and a bigger fuel pump and a 2056VK turbo looking to get 160 hp to roll the 35" tires. Done a complete tear down and media blast, will put some pics in the next post have to get them in a public domain or contact me at my email address if you would like... Skip

47coeman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 jetta TDI, 94 TDI German block in a Samurai
Welcome Mate
Doing the same thing to a 87 just sent you a PM, Will share the ups and downs that I have gone through as well as the pics that I have. Skip

truthseeker

TDI
golf
what about mechanical injection pump

what if you put a mechanical pump and delete the electronics all togther it might not be as fuel efficent but a hell of alot easier .
I put a 2002 mercedes sprinter 2.7 5cyl CDI in a dodge dakota I still havent finished it yet and was not an easy or cheap task due to mercedes ecu being very complicated

LukeWilson

Veteran Member
TDI
As i understand it, if the engine is in fact a PD engine it is impossible to convert it to mechanical. You might be able to put a VE head on the BEW block like JimBote did, and then use a VE pump but that seems like the expensive way around things. Also the wiring really isn't as bad as it seems, once you get into it it's fairly simple.

Luke

truthseeker

TDI
golf
yes you are correct if it is a PD engine it cant use a mechanical injection pump I was just mentioning that from experience with the Mercedes CDI diesel it has been difficult but not impossible and if I had done a little more investigating before I started my project I probably would have chosen a different powertrain .I think I picked the most complicated conversion to take on .
I am currently working on rigging up the speed sensors to the drive shaft to fake out the computer .each wheel on the sprinter has a speed sensor that tells the ABS,ECU and transmission computer how fast each wheel is turning
I needed the complete sprinter wiring harness and just about everything besides the lights that went with it to make this work sounds like the VW's aren't as complicated hope your project goes well and you will have a kick ass truck when all is said and done