Need 2005 New Beetle TDI (transmission?) help

Mindy White

TDI
2005 New Beetle
Problem: I start the car, put it in reverse, back out and then all of the gear indicators start flashing and it will act like it's in neutral and won't drive. I then put the car in park, turn it off and try starting it again. It starts fine but gear indicators still flashing. Then, sometimes I will turn the key to the on position and put it in neutral to start it and it starts fine, no flashing indicators, and goes into gear. Sometimes I can drive around for a few days before it happens again. Sometimes when this happens I will put the car in neutral and roll it backwards or forwards a bit and then it will go into gear. I can usually monkey around with it and get it to work *except* when it's raining or has been raining. Then none of my tricks work.

I took it to the dealer who wanted to replace the gear shift mechanism for $2,000.00. They replaced my battery with a VW battery and the problem stopped for 4 months. Since the car is 10 years old I decided to take it for a second opinion at one of the best VW mechanic shops in Austin, Texas. After two weeks with my car, they told me it was not the gear shift mechanism, not the tiptronic, no codes coming up, but their mechanic couldn't find the problem and has thrown in the towel. I'm now desparate to find out what is going on. Any thoughts are welcome. The motor is strong and will go forever (125K on it now). I don't want to trade it in but I need to do something because I'm on the highway a lot.