Southbend clutch + Valeo smf?

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI
Can anyone confirm that a southbend clutch and pressure plate will work with a valeo SMF? I need to upgrade my clutch and already have a valeo smf and I don't want to buy another one if I don't have to.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Though I'm not a SBC dealer I do know that Valeo has a proprietary flywheel. That said SBC did do a kit from a Valeo but I believe that's only on the 02M, not the 02J...

So in other words, you will most likely need to start from scratch.

Cheers,
-BB

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, the reason I asked is because I read this old post from IBW.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=2167094&postcount=5

Was hoping for confirmation from someone that may have done it. But I emailed IDparts and they said it only works with the Sachs flywheel :(, so now I'm confused.

Anyway unless someone says otherwise soon I'll have to look at ordering a whole kit as I don't have a lot of time.

cevans

TDIClub Enthusiast, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Bus
TDI
2015 Beetle Conv. TDI 6-Speed & 2006 E320 CDI
As BB said the Valeo flywheel is the problem as it is a non-standard design. Any G60/VR6 design flywheel will work with Sachs or SBC clutches, but the Valeo SMF is not a standard design so it cannot work.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
When I called IDParts I was told it would work.
Later confirmed on these forums by IBW.
Safe would be to order the full kit with the proviso that
you could return the flywheel if it does fit the Valeo.

I've got the same problem, my auto>swap kit arrived with a
very good Valeo SMF clutch. It's holding at the moment, but
any more mods and I'll have to go for a Stage 2.

Bora,
So do the DC clutches use the "stock" VR6 SMF?

Cheers,
R*2

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, seems to be some conflicting information. I'm going to play it safe and get a full kit I guess. I'll just have to wait a while and drive the golf until I can save up a bit more cash.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The problem is determining which flywheel you have. If you don't have the original packaging or paperwork, it's going to be difficult to tell if it will work or not. I know that some years ago we sent a Valeo flywheel to SBC to see if it would work with their kits. However, I'd have to figure out what we sent and make sure it works with the kits they're now selling.

So as others have said, it might be safer to start fresh.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Lurker,

My understanding is that the SBC and the DC "aftermarket" clutches
are essentially a rework of existing "stock" clutches. Better friction surface materials and pressure plate spring improvements.
My bet is if you tell IDparts or Bora what you're doing, they may well be willing to reimburse you if your existing Valeo SMF happens to work. Or call SBC and see if you can get a definitive answer.

Unfortunately I neglected to get some pics of the part #'s on mine before I had it installed.

I'm mulling over getting the SBC kit with the 17# flywheel, and then getting a Fluidampr on the other end of the crank. Should end up with about the same weight overall and better balanced. Unfortunately that would push the cost to over $1k.
The SBC End without the flywheel is $450.

Cheers,
R*2

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
I'll get a part # off my valeo flywheel. What about the flywheel is wrong? I'm curious because I'm in the same boat. I've got a sach pressure plate/disk and a valeo flywheel ready to install soon. The disk and pressure plate fit nicely in the flywheel so I'm thinking of taking a chance.

Lurker92

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah Rrusse11, that's my understanding as well.

If it wasn't for the exchange rate I wouldn't be asking, but when $600 for the kit plus hardware, release fork etc and shipping converts to Canadian peso's it's well over $1000.

If I could save $200 usd using my flywheel that would bring me closer to $750. Wish I did this 3 years ago at par lol.

As far as part numbers go mine is 702510 if that means anything.

Last edited:

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Not sure if anyone has a g60 flywheel kicking around that they could take a few measurements for me to compare. Looking for the pressure plate mounting down to disk surface depth and overall thickness.