MKVII Jetta footwell lights mod question

STL White TDI Guy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Has anyone done it in a MK6 Jetta yet. I tried a search but all I saw was threads on the passat footwell light mod. I've seen part# 5ND 947 415 listed for sale as a oem part for the footwell light upgrade. I'm soon to have a 2013 Jetta TDI Prem + Nav and I'm lining up my mods. If anyone has any info on it could you please pass it along.

Thanks

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You'll have to elaborate since the Mk7 Jetta isn't out yet... what is the Mk7 Jetta footwell light mod?

Golf tech packages also have footwell lights, per this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=370643

You can install the parts that you mentioned easily - controlling the lights is another issue. You can either wire them into your dash light circuit (cigarette lighter is the best spot) or try and figure out how to get the BCM to control them - may not even be possible on the Jetta because it doesn't have the full MFI, AFAIK.

STL White TDI Guy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
You'll have to elaborate since the Mk7 Jetta isn't out yet... what is the Mk7 Jetta footwell light mod?

Golf tech packages also have footwell lights, per this thread http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=370643

You can install the parts that you mentioned easily - controlling the lights is another issue. You can either wire them into your dash light circuit (cigarette lighter is the best spot) or try and figure out how to get the BCM to control them - may not even be possible on the Jetta because it doesn't have the full MFI, AFAIK.
That's what I get for using an iPhone to create a thread. I meant MKVI since I'm not from the future. LOL Thanks for the heads up!!!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
My inclination would be to add red footwell lights that are always on when the running lights are on. Kinda like the red lights that shine down from the sunroof panel and illuminate the shifter area as well as retaining the white footwell lights (as on my A5) that come on when the doors are opened.

Tell me, did they decontent the footwell lights on the A6's?

Last edited:

STL White TDI Guy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Well I haven't took delivery of the car yet. Ill have it on Jan 2nd. I'm getting a '13 TDI jetta Premium + nav and there was no option for footwell lights. I ordered these off eBay for $27. It says its OEM footwell light kit compatible with MK6.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-ORIGINA...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

We'll see...
I like the idea of the red to match the light from moonroof panel. I didn't know it had a red ambient light up there. I only test drove the car in the daytime. However I have test drove a golf with tech package around dusk. I likes the white footwell and on the door behind the interior door handle.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Factory footwell lights require the full MFI to control them (it's an option in the convenience menu). You can add them to a car without the full MFI but you will have to wire them to a different power source (like the 12v outlet light).

STL White TDI Guy

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Factory footwell lights require the full MFI to control them (it's an option in the convenience menu). You can add them to a car without the full MFI but you will have to wire them to a different power source (like the 12v outlet light).
Wow ok. Thanks for the heads up. I guess models w/o the footwell lights from factory don't have the option in the MFI.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
That is correct, although I think it is a check-box in VCDS to enable that menu option on full MFI cars without footwell lights (like the SE Passat). I'd have to go back and look.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Has anyone done it in a MK6 Jetta yet. I tried a search but all I saw was threads on the passat footwell light mod. I've seen part# 5ND 947 415 listed for sale as a oem part for the footwell light upgrade. I'm soon to have a 2013 Jetta TDI Prem + Nav and I'm lining up my mods. If anyone has any info on it could you please pass it along.

Thanks
I installed two LED strip lights (advanced auto 29.99) in the foot wells of my 2012 jetta was going to try and get them to be controlled by the BCM/CEM but the pin that controls the foot well lights doesn't exist. :mad: I just ran a wire up to the dome light it comes on with the doors and with the dome light selector switch. There is a place that looks like it was made for one of those tube type lamps so I just soldered to that and it works great, you will have to get a meter so you can tell what is the positive side if you are going to use LED'S. :)

smooth

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
I installed two LED strip lights (advanced auto 29.99) in the foot wells of my 2012 jetta was going to try and get them to be controlled by the BCM/CEM but the pin that controls the foot well lights doesn't exist. :mad: I just ran a wire up to the dome light it comes on with the doors and with the dome light selector switch. There is a place that looks like it was made for one of those tube type lamps so I just soldered to that and it works great, you will have to get a meter so you can tell what is the positive side if you are going to use LED'S. :)
Sorry to bump an old thread. I wonder if the wire needed to tap into is available lower on the car. Would love to do this mod without having to run a wire up to the dome light.

dirtysouthjacket

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI Premium 6MT, 2004 Jetta TDI GLS (sold)
12V power outlet is lower... worth a try! But of course then always on. Dome light gives you different options for when you would like it on. You could always swap out one of the blank switch positions and put an OEM looking switch in right next to the 12V outlet.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
Sorry to bump an old thread. I wonder if the wire needed to tap into is available lower on the car. Would love to do this mod without having to run a wire up to the dome light.
It might be but the issue I see is you could not turn them on if you dropped something without opening the door, that's the reason I went to dome light switch like I did. If the switch was on the dash then you could hook it up to that.

Mark

VodkanDiesel

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?

My 2015 Jetta SEL TDI has factory installed footwell lights. I connected VCDS today and the option for "footwell lights" wasn't there.

My 2010 GTI has the option in the MFI to run footwell lights and select the % brightness. There should be a way to do this on the Jetta too.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
So I was sitting up looking online and bought some footwell projector lights. Didn't realize all I have are reflectors on my doors. Sounds like way too much trouble to pull off the door panel & run wiring to the dome light. Guess I have another shelf ornament for my garage.

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
Has anyone figured out how to do this yet?
My 2015 Jetta SEL TDI has factory installed footwell lights. I connected VCDS today and the option for "footwell lights" wasn't there.
My 2010 GTI has the option in the MFI to run footwell lights and select the % brightness. There should be a way to do this on the Jetta too.
I am wondering the same thing. Does anyone know if there is a way to control factory installed footwell light on a '15? I was able to do adjust the brightness on my '11 Golf TDI