2015 Jetta SEL TDI Euro Headlight Switch

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL (purchased as "new" in May 2017).
Has anyone with fog lights on their stock Jetta replaced the USA factory headlight switch with the VW Euro headlight switch that is available from various suppliers?

If so, is this a quick plug-and-play or does one need to do some re-programming with a VCDS?

If you did the replacement, what year is your vehicle?

Thank you,
Mark

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I did yes No VCDS needed however if you want true Parking lights you would need to run a jumper wire I did not..you get the small yellow leds when you turn on parking lights be careful in your switch selection there are several different ones 2015 Jetta Here

Mike02z

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2016 Challenger Hellcat
Can you please post the part number you ordered since there are several? Thanks! I have a 15 as well.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Last edited:

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
I just put my new Euro headlight switch, which gets me stand-alone parking lights without headlights being on. Takes about 2 minutes to install with good lighting and understanding the lock on the plug. Check out this video ... install method and locking plug is the same, even if the switch settings are slightly different from switch to switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir0Q6PX4Zo

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I just put my new Euro headlight switch, which gets me stand-alone parking lights without headlights being on. Takes about 2 minutes to install with good lighting and understanding the lock on the plug. Check out this video ... install method and locking plug is the same, even if the switch settings are slightly different from switch to switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ir0Q6PX4Zo
Cool....I have had a Euro Headlight switch in my Last 11 VW TDI's since 99 so this isnt new info...

Mike02z

TDI
I just picked up the kit that gives me auto headlights and parking lights by adding one wire. You also have to run the sensor. Looks fairly straightforward. Auto headlights are a must for me.

Mike02z

TDI
Let us know how that installation ends (difficulty, how well it works, cost).
The job was VERY easy. The whole job took me 20 minutes because I went slow. Apparently on the 2015 Jetta TDI you do not need to install the extra yellow wire to allow just the parking lights to stay on. When I took my switch out, the slot they say to use in the video already had a wire in it. I Plugged everything back in and everything worked, including the parking lights.

I did send USP a message asking about this so they can update their video. They show a Mark V and a Mark VI but they may need a new one for the 2015 "Facelift" Jettas.

I put the light sensor as close to the glass as possible, I got all the wire tucked in nicely and I'm likely the only one who will notice the sensor. It's not exactly perfect so I may move it some other time.

Here is a picture of the new switch and the sensor on the dash.

The cost of the kit was 104.99. I don't want to post a direct link in case they are not a vendor here but just go to their site (uspmotorsports dot com)and search for "RFB Automatic Headlight Conversion Kit (MK6)" Apparently there are 2 types. One has a small 10 pin connector and the other has a much larger connector. It's probably best to pop your headlight switch out to verify which version you have. Mine needed the smaller 10 pin plug.

Last edited:

fastcar4re

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, just 2 more questions:
1. Where is the wire that runs to the sensor (how and where is it relative to the switch?)
2. Is your exterior color the regular black (not deep pearl black)?
Thanks!

Mike02z

TDI
Thanks, just 2 more questions:
1. Where is the wire that runs to the sensor (how and where is it relative to the switch?)
2. Is your exterior color the regular black (not deep pearl black)?
Thanks!
The kit comes with the euro switch and a small box. One end connects to the switch and the original switch plugs into the small box. There is a light sensor wire that exits on the side of the switch. The wire is about 16" -24" cord. I didn't measure it.

You start the install by pushing the switch in from the off position. Push in on the knob and turn it about an inch. That will release the two springs that hold the switch in. Once that is out there is a small tab that you need to squeeze and the connector pulls out easily.

Now grab a plastic trim tool. Place the sensor along the very from of the dash but don't put it down in the black area of the windshield. Once you find the right spot, peel off the cover for the VHB and stick it to the dash. Strat tucking the wire behind the dash. You can make it completely invisible. When you get to the end start pushing the wire under the trim with the plastic tool.

Now pop off the panel on the driver side of the dash. Get the plastic pry tool in and it should easily pop off. Run the wire into the fuse area and pull it through the hole where the headlight switch is.

Plug the original connection that used to attach to the switch to the small box. You will hear a tone. Plug the other end of that small box and plug it into your new switch. Push in the switch and turn slightly to the right and it should pop right in.

Fogs work, parking lights work and the best feature, auto on lights work!

My exterior is just plain black. I just coated it in ceramic 2 weeks ago but it's really dirty now.

Last edited:

jptdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 327K, 2012 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL w/luxury pkg
The kit comes with the euro switch and a small box. One end connects to the switch and the original switch plugs into the small box. There is a light sensor wire that exits on the side of the switch. The wire is about 16" -24" cord. I didn't measure it.
You start the install by pushing the switch in from the off position. Push in on the knob and turn it about an inch. That will release the two springs that hold the switch in. Once that is out there is a small tab that you need to squeeze and the connector pulls out easily.
Now grab a plastic trim tool. Place the sensor along the very from of the dash but don't put it down in the black area of the windshield. Once you find the right spot, peel off the cover for the VHB and stick it to the dash. Strat tucking the wire behind the dash. You can make it completely invisible. When you get to the end start pushing the wire under the trim with the plastic tool.
Now pop off the panel on the driver side of the dash. Get the plastic pry tool in and it should easily pop off. Run the wire into the fuse area and pull it through the hole where the headlight switch is.
Plug the original connection that used to attach to the switch to the small box. You will hear a tone. Plug the other end of that small box and plug it into your new switch. Push in the switch and turn slightly to the right and it should pop right in.
Fogs work, parking lights work and the best feature, auto on lights work!
My exterior is just plain black. I just coated it in ceramic 2 weeks ago but it's really dirty now.
Does the switch have any effects to the daytime run lights?
Is the Auto position just the headlights or can you have it automatically turn on the headlights and fog lights at the same time?
Thanks John

Mike02z

TDI
It does not appear to have any effect on the daytime running lights.

The auto position is just for the headlights. You still need to pull the headlight control switch out for the fogs. The new switch has 2 steps when you pull it out. The second is for the rear fog light. I never even checked that as I believe you'd need to VAG-COM in order to set those up.

jptdi

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI 327K, 2012 Jetta TDI, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL, 2015 Jetta TDI SEL w/luxury pkg
Thanks for the info. Hopefully my install will go smooth and easy.

Mike02z

TDI
Thanks for the info. Hopefully my install will go smooth and easy.
I'm all thumbs when it comes to this kind of stuff so if I can do it, you can do it. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.