ALH reverse light switch replacement question

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
Hello:

I need to replace the reverse light switch on my ALH. Can it be accessed/removed by removing the air box, or do I have to remove the battery/tray as well?

Thanks.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
You can probably get at it from underneath without removing either, its directly under the battery box though.. Are you sure it needs the switch or just the connector having broken wires? they are known for breaking wires in that area, its bad weather spot. Give it a look before you get into changing the switch, I've never seen a switch go bad, just broken wires.

The connector is the same as the brake warning light one.. if you have a old set of pads laying around you can cut off the connector and use it.

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
I have this portion remaining from the switch since I've owned the car (picture 1):

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4006926&postcount=14

I have looked around and the wires are OK. When I pulled the connector out, one of the pins on the switch was broken off, I guess due to the lack of the housing/support on the switch side. So now I have to get one from the local scrapyard. I do have the connector from an old set of front brake pads, so I will use that one, as the current one is slightly different.

Thanks.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Just pull the battery and tray, about 10 minutes work and saves a ton of aggravation.