RNS 510 update

kh0805

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Good morning,
Was hoping to get some info regarding my 12 Passat SEl's RNS 510 firmware. I'm running FW 3690 since 2012 and it's time to update. 3690 is very sluggish and usually takes 2-3 clicks to get a result, even changing the radio station. I guess my question is, what is the latest firmware for US vehicles? I've tried several different firmwares but they might have been Euro versions which aren't compatible with my vehicle. I found that out later. I was getting a software load error 010306. Thank you very much!
Btw, the car has been phenomenal. Almost 60k in miles. So far I've changed the oil when needed, new rotors and pads and new tires. That is all.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
I don't know off the top of my head but there is a multi page thread in this forum on the RNS510 that lists the latest firmware for the various years. If I remember there is also a post in it from a dealer that you can purchase the firmware from.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Yup . . . there is a big thread here regarding versions for the older stuff, and we did have an internal group sharing the FW and maps, but then VW/Navteq got wind, and threatened lawsuits, so that went away. Short of searching and finding another source, about your only choice is to buy the FW upgrade . . . Sucks, I know, since basically it is a bug-fix item, that for a lot of equipment is free, but we don't get that choice . . . sorry!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
I believe the May '16 map update has the latest version, from what I heard it doesn't solve any issues with slowness, its the fact the head unit is 7-10 year old processing power that's slow.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
Franlkly, I have never regarded mine as that slow . . . Other than address entry, everything is pretty much instant. Map upgrades have *NEVER* been for speed, but for currency of data. The FW change that the OP is looking for *DID* help, though . . . I think I made the same jump from 3690 to 4366 and still actively use the RNS all the time without issues.

kh0805

TDI
2012 Passat SEL
Yea not really looking for maps update. If I need to get somewhere and need gps, I usually use my phone/Waze. I was looking to upgrade the stability and speed of the rest of the unit. I'll try and find 4366 .iso and go from there. Any of the other versions that I should consider or is 4366 the latest I can download. Thanks again.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Yea not really looking for maps update. If I need to get somewhere and need gps, I usually use my phone/Waze.<snip>
This. we just use the mapps on our iPhone, the RNS-510 is just used for hands-free phone and music (and it's pretty good at those things). I have the latest firmware installed on it that our particular version of the head unit will take, but I'm not about to spend the money for those map updates.....