Roof Racks for MkVI Jetta

Popsy

TDI
2011 Jetta
I am shopping around for roof racks for '11 Jetta. Spoke to a dealer in Quebec who indicated that they only recomend Thule model 480 as other brands (e.g., Inno, Yakima, Automaxi) may cas paint damage.

I would like to hear from anyone that has racks (whether Thule or other) and if they have experienced any paint damage issues.

Second, for those with Thule 480 what width are your bars (and fairing if applicable) and would you order the same size(s) again?

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I have Thule, but it's not the 480 that's for sure. My thule setup is comprised of a set of 50" rectangular load bars that I picked up off the local Craigslist for cheap, coupled to some old Thule 400 feet that I acquired from my neice for cheap (they are not the 400XT, mine don't have the plastic aero-covers that the 400XT feet have), coupled to a brand new Thule 2141 fit kit that I ordered from ORS. I got my spare keys and more lock cores directly from Thule, along with a change key.

I don't have a fairing, but I have noticed some interesting wind noise with the empty rack on the roof at highway speed.

As for paint damage, I really haven't made any significant trips with the rack on, nor do I leave the rack on the car 24/7. Installing and removing the rack becomes fairly quick once you get accustomed to using it. I'm sure I could do it like NASCAR changes a tire if I chucked my allen head tool in my cordless drill.

As for load bar length, I think 50" is fine. I bought mine to use with a pair of bike trays (again off Craigslist). Making them longer would just increase the potential for hitting my head on them as I am getting into and out of the car! If I had two kayaks or something wide on the roof, then it might be better to have a wider set of bars, but you haven't stated what you intend to carry yet. Bikes? Kayaks? Canoe? Sheets of Plywood? Thule Box? Snow Skis? Snow Boards?

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
I'm using a Yakima with the rubber pads. I do not leave the rack on for long periods, since it drastically increases your fuel consumption. Usually the skis go in the ski slot & one or two bikes can fit in the back of my SportWagen. I haven't seen any paint damage from using the rack.