Battery Life....

flyfish713

TDI
Jetta,2000,Silver
I have a 2000 Jetta, TDI... When should I start thinking of replacing the battery. I have 91,000 miles on the car at this time....all highway mileage, also where would you recomend getting a battery for a TDI....Thank-You..

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
The key to long battery service life is battery maintenance.
There is a wealth of info here on this site about OEM battery care.
It vital to keep in mind...that the OEM battery is NOT "Maintenance Free".
1. Remove the tape over the 6 cell caps
2. Add distilled water ( if needed) but do not over fill the cells
3. Clean the battery terminals
Your OEM battery will last a long time. I have a 99.5 Golf and I'm still on my orignal battery....and here in Maine we've had some pretty cold nights...(single digits) and my TDI cranks up nicely...every time

ArturCosta

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 Avant 1996 Silver
I have a 1996 Audi A4 with nearly 240.000Kms and the battery is stock...So if you use the car everyday and give the battery a nice charge you dont have to worry about it.
I use my car everyday and give it 30mins of highway driving so the battery is always charged and in use.

Well every time I go on a weekend on my girlfriends car I come home thinking it wont start...but never happend , and never takes a 2nd ignition to start /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I have a 2000 TDI. Since Oct 99 to now I have 130k miles and the original battery. I'm not driving it as much as I used to - only 2-3 excursions per week these days.

I'd figure out where I'm going to get that battery if you are worried about it, but hold off until you have indications that you really need it. Battery warranties start from purchase date, not installation date.

silverwallytdi

TDI
2001 GLS JETTA Silver (sold Sept.2005)
I Just changed my battery, and went with an Optima. I've got 90K miles on my 01. I just see it as making sure I don't get stuck out in the middle of BFE. ( Plus I always go outside on break and listen to my radio, charge a cell phone or run/charge a laptop. ) I'm sure my stock battery could have last a little longer, but the starter turns over faster now. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

professor

Veteran Member
My 00 Golf TDI battery lost almost 1/2 of available power (I have fancy battery tester) at 102,000 miles. Still started OK, but cold crank slightly slower, and Satellite radio would drop to off at start. VW dealer in Brainerd, MN tried to sell me wrong battery (AE) for same price as correct battery (AG) that I ended up buying at Burnsville, MN.