Vibration at high speed braking

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
2015 Golf TDI DSG experiencing vibration in the car during high speed braking. The steering wheel does not shake during braking, different set of wheels did not help, rotors seem to be in very nice condition too, car is under 16K mi, but the car was sitting for a while at VW buyback place. Bearings seem to be fine as well, no noise. Is the rear rotors to blame here or might be something else like the axles , CV or LCA? Please, suggest.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It could just be your abs system pulsing. My beetle did that at when slowing from about 45 to 30. Not panic stopping just slowing with brake to traffic conditions.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Sounds like the rotors are warped or have irregularities on them from the car sitting. I once washed my Audi A4, drove it 30 feet into the garage, and then went on a 2-week business trip. When I got back the pads were stuck to the rotors and the rotors never cleaned themselves up. Ended up replacing them. Same thing could have happened to your car if it was driven briefly on a rainy day and then parked for a period of time.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yeah, sounds like the rotors. It's possible the e-brake froze up and warped the rear rotors.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
It may be a combination of pads (after sitting for SOOO long) and rotors. Take back to dealer and tell them it feels as if the rotors are warped. There is a list of things they were to do before delivering our stop-sale cars and thorough brake inspection with drive was on the list.

I actually just had my front rotors/pads replaced under warranty (good will) as I was a hair over 12k and it exhibited the same thing you are talking about. I knew it was nothing I did in terms of driving/braking style as I still have OEM rotors/pads on my 09 TDI at 230k when I traded back in and the rears had just been changed at 220k. I don't do a lot of hard stop and go or high speed braking by any means. I'm pretty religious about engine braking. :)

Good luck man!