Manual glow plugs or ECU controlled?

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
I'm finishing up the last few bits of wiring on my truck and I'm trying to decide what to do with the glow plugs. Should I run them manually or let the ecu control them? I tend to lean towards manual control of stuff so I guess really what I'm asking is are there any real reasons to have the ecu control them or is that just a convenience?

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I second this question and can the ecu be made to not throw a code with manual glow plugs.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Why not have the ECU control them? Then you get afterglow and correctly timed preglow. It's just a few wires, hardly any more than doing a manual setup.

-J

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I dont know about him but on my bhw swap simplicity. I dont use the boat unless the water is warm enough to swim in. That means it's May and lows in The 60s.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I'd still want the glow plugs to run every time (which they do even when warm, for the after-run period)... if they never cycle they can get carbon buildup, and then get stuck in the head.

-J

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
let the ECU do it! Its a great feature of the TDI. All the work to swap a TDI into something only to disable one of its great features? Makes no sense to me.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
Not the same, but I had 2 cylinder Volvo in my sailboat and it was a pig to start without glow plugs.

I would in this case go automatic, no guessing when and how long to cycle glow plugs.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you have the ECU installed I see no reason not to let it perform this function, as others have said it provides the post-start glow cycle function too so it has a lot of benefit.

In this case it relieves you of having to push and hold a button for some unknown amount of time too.

Steve

Exenos

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf
Alright, fine. I guess I'll just let the ecu do its thing. And here I was hoping I could add another switch to my dash...

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you do decide on manual glow plugs dont use a switch unless it opens back up automatically. If you forget to turn it off, you can drain your battery and kill your glow plugs at The same time.

I usually used an old push button style. Count to five and start.

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Alright, fine. I guess I'll just let the ecu do its thing. And here I was hoping I could add another switch to my dash...

You CAN also have a manual switch as well. One of the wires to the glow plug relay goes low when the ECU wants to turn it on. You can connect to that wire, ground it with your switch and the glow plug relay will turn on. Now, if the ECU then throws an error or not is another question.

I can't really see a need for this though as the ECU does a good job at regulating the glow plugs. You can via software change how long and what temperature the glow plugs active too.

Kiingsloth

TDI
You CAN also have a manual switch as well. One of the wires to the glow plug relay goes low when the ECU wants to turn it on. You can connect to that wire, ground it with your switch and the glow plug relay will turn on. Now, if the ECU then throws an error or not is another question.

I can't really see a need for this though as the ECU does a good job at regulating the glow plugs. You can via software change how long and what temperature the glow plugs active too.
What wire? How dose it look like?