Help! Fuel Rail Oscillation- CP3 pump/Stage 3 Tune

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
check for restrictions in the return circuit too. If it's running a good level of control it should be easing the pressure back *before* it gets to setpoint and if it can't do this as fast as the program expects, there'll be an overshoot.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
Im pretty sure its about tuning. If you check the logs, you see actual doesent reach specified when the problem occurs. Id like to see pcv duty also while on the same graph, then would be easy to find the real cause.
Do you get rp too low fault also? If supply is ok, and return is free then pcv itself can also be worn. If it would overshoot and undershoot while demand is steady, then it would be pid control fault.

Edit: red line is specified rp and what is greenline?

Last edited:

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
altz1, on that graph I pulled values from group 18, 19 and 21. Yeah, that doesn't make sense, some of them are labeled the same but are displaying different data. I'll look into that.

I don't get any codes.

eddie_1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 TDI tuned to 170HP, A6 Wagon 2008 TDI 2.7L tuned to 340HP
Did you find out any more on this? Would be interested to hear any feedback. Have you tried adjusting some of the maps to potentially hit a different operating point? Since you said it was intermittent, maybe it is only partially unstable.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, experimenting with a new calibrated tune this week. Just got a flashzilla and need to get it set up. Should have more info in a few days.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Malone has done something, what exactly I don't know, but it is working.

Couple of bugs to work out yet, but the driveability is greatly improved with acceleration stabs smooth.

Only thing I'm worried about is that we are tuning around some other underlying issue.

At any rate, it's working and I am pleased.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
Jep, seems it was the tune, as usually. Im sure he adjusted the pid maps of fca/pressure control valve. There might have been even some missed rail pressure limiter that made it to drop rapidly after hitting specified value. Good you got it sorted.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Only thing I'm worried about is that we are tuning around some other underlying issue.

At any rate, it's working and I am pleased.
You fitted a different pump and Malone tuned it to suit, no underlying issue.

Also bear in mind the people who helped out with this behind the scenes were nothing to do with the parts supply and did not charge anything to help. The people supplying your parts clearly just copied someones parts and does not understand how it all works!

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Well Ryan if you wanna throw stones, you should know my kit is made in house from 0, not having copied anyone. Designed from 0 e tested on my own car because i was denied 1 kit for my own use.
It just pisses you off i know. Reaching 90 kits sold in Europe in 6 months, and all work just fine since i use bosch reconditioned pumps with warranty.

If you feel so generous please offer the CP3 calibrations for free for everybody to have :) as i am sure Ruben and Bobby are intelligent enough not to share them.
Till now for stage 1-2 no calibrations were needed. This is a first and its the tuners job to take care of it.

Without any calibrations it looks like this on stock software across Europe. Got a few graphs.

And car goes like this without any calibrations:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OgXNIdbuPc

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Lol, Never fitted one that does not need calibrating

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Seems to me you are using the wrong hardware then.
Just look at the log, railp and how the car goes.
I agree best is to have it perfectly calibrated for 240+ hp tunes.

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
Riccardo has a heavily modified map for 2000railp and 90-100mg iq iirc, i dont even wanna know what's inside. I spoke with his tuner he is taking care of it these days. Its his 1st cp3 tune.

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
I am very thankful for everyone's help. This is a good community, and for the most part, everyone has been more than willing to help out a novice like myself. This is my first time tuning and pushing a stock vehicle well beyond the factory parameters.

I think it is a good question, what is the variable that is different for me beyond all the other CP3 TDI's in North America that don't require fueling calibration?

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
Ryan, if you didn't recalibrate for a CP3 pump, would the car exhibit an oscillation like I had?

Macradiators.com

Veteran Member
TDI
2.0 CR 360hp
There are some edc17c46 that have some different pids that need to be changed for example in order to work ok.
Malone got my stock map so he can compare european cp14 with US one and with c46. there are some things to modify in order to have it good.

To have it perfect for big turbo and huge fueling the work involved it's much more.