VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Interesting - so for your first car (where the previous owner totaled it and is applying fro just the restitution), did they say if you'll get the buyback plus restitution? Or only the buyback amount?
You can't get buyback and restitution. Remember, buyback includes an adjustment that is equal to restitution (or something near that statement). The buyback calculator on this site shows that. There is no stipulation that reduces buyback if restitution was already paid. It's interesting. Both cars get restitution paid to prior owners. Both cars eligible for buyback once titled and registered.

Last edited:

lvrpl

TDI
Passat TDI
You can't get buyback and restitution. Remember, buyback includes an adjustment that is equal to restitution (or something near that statement). The buyback calculator on this site shows that. There is no stipulation that reduces buyback if restitution was already paid. It's interesting.
Ah yes, sorry, I was using the wrong terms. I meant whether we get buyback (column 1 from the 2.0 tables) or buyback minus the modification compensation (column 1 minus column 2 in the 2.0 tables).

And as you pointed out, a reading of the settlement could indicate a person in this situation gets all of column 1, even if the owner when the car was totaled applies for restitution. But I guess we'll see if they try to find some loophole (like the statement that says they won't pay twice on cars when it comes to eligible sellers).

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I'm beginning to think a high school student can put together a flow chart of all possible situations and solutions that's much less confusing than the settlement documentation. Just reading things like "Buyback of your car
or early lease termination
+ cash" on the settlement website clearly shows the confusion. A buyback IS cash. What else is it? So they are saying you get cash + cash. Bunch of idiots...

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
A buyback is cash, but early lease termination isn't. It's buyback or (lease termination + cash).

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
That's $10-20k in the aggregate? Because there's no way a single car goes up that much due to mileage in a year.
Yea, there's definitely more than one car I'm talking about.

I think VW decided that they'd be better off to make us flippers sit on our cars, and then pay us the extra for mileage next year, that way we can't keep using our $$$ to purchase more.

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I can only imagine this must be a hot topic for VW at this point. Unless I've misread the language of the settlement, there could potentially be an endless number of claims against any given vehicle.

What would happen if a rebuilt vehicle was totaled in an accident and sold to an insurance company? Would the owner of the rebuilt vehicle be eligible for a restitution claim? And if this same vehicle is resold at auction and rebuilt again....???

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I can only imagine this must be a hot topic for VW at this point. Unless I've misread the language of the settlement, there could potentially be an endless number of claims against any given vehicle.

What would happen if a rebuilt vehicle was totaled in an accident and sold to an insurance company? Would the owner of the rebuilt vehicle be eligible for a restitution claim? And if this same vehicle is resold at auction and rebuilt again....???
No, I think the cycle only works once. You have to own the car in June or something in 2016 to get restitution only if car gets totaled. New owner of now salvage title can only get buyback or fix-restitution, after which it's done. in that cycle VW pays restitution twice. The language in the settlement does not seem to avoid that.

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
No, I think the cycle only works once. You have to own the car in June or something in 2016 to get restitution only if car gets totaled. New owner of now salvage title can only get buyback or fix-restitution, after which it's done. in that cycle VW pays restitution twice. The language in the settlement does not seem to avoid that.
Got it. Makes sense.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
What about clean title cars being purchased at Copart/IAAI right now? Do you think those will go through?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
What about clean title cars being purchased at Copart/IAAI right now? Do you think those will go through?
It doesn't even matter if they're salvage titles. They're still eligible cars if they're registered and titled. Copart is just an auction lot. But good luck trying to find a clean title eligible TDI car on a copart lot at a good price. Those are not sold by insurance companies trying to receive salvage value for a totaled payout they gave their customer. Those are cars sold by individuals and they typically have a min bid set by the seller wherein they know the exact problem(s) with the car they're trying to sell and the buyer may not.

Last edited:

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Just got a "clean" title Passat with salvage history back in 2016. Will be an interesting flip

emeraldzippy

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MK5-DSG-119K-Malone 1.5 Past: 1997 Passat, 2012 Jetta wagon, 1987 Ford Ranger diesel, 1982 Chevette diesel
Right now it has a regular, title. Must have gotten washed by someone.
Never heard of "washing" a title in California, but I have seen one title search show salvaged, and another show clean. I believe it was AutoCheck or CarFax vs NADA...can't remember. I suppose it depends what it says on the newest, actual title. Good luck!

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Here is another update.I got scared,that they will drag it until 2018 ,so I unloaded 2 of them on rebuilt title by selling them at copart.
Today they send me offer on one of them.Now under claim status it says Audit Eligibility Review Complete.Now I wish I didn't freak out and kept the car.I lost several thousand dollars between the price I sold it for and the offer from VW.

03/15/2017

Option Confirmed
04/17/2017

Documentation

Document Package Received
05/03/2017

Document Package Complete
05/03/2017

Qualification and Offer Processing

Audit Eligibility Review Complete
06/15/2017

Last edited:

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Well, after multiple tries to upload a salvage title and have it repeatedly rejected, I sent the whole package, including copies of the original bill of sale, registration cards, police report from the accident and the salvage title to the CRC. Just got an email from the CRC telling me that they will review my claim and notify me within "a few weeks".

The CRC consists of a VW rep, a rep from the class council, and a 3rd person to cast the tiebreaker if needed.

We'll see what happens next.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
If I acquired my car in March of this year and had it registered and obtained salvage title (in Ca) around the same time after I bought it from a dealer who bought it from a Copart lot; did I correctly state that I acquired it from a "salvage lot" as per the wording in the settlement? I don't think Copart is a junkyard and I question if it's even a salvage lot.

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
According to the VW claims people I spoke with, if the title was trasfered to the name of an insurance company at some point, then they consider it as being obtained from a junkyard, salvage yard, etc. when the insurance company sells the vehicle.

Most Copart vehicles are being sold by insurance companies, but not all. That being said, if your car had a cean title on 9/18/15 then it is elligible no matter where you purchased it from.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Thanks for that and the previous comment. It appears I've submitted my claim correctly. ...just second guessing.

Now I'm just curious if VW will offer buyback as quoted in the online application process or whether it will be minus "restitution" since there is a previous claim by the previous owner who totaled the car in Jan 2017 that I subsequently acquired, who is expected to receive "restitution" payment.

ujames

TDI
YES
Here is another update.I got scared,that they will drag it until 2018 ,so I unloaded 2 of them on rebuilt title by selling them at copart.
Today they send me offer on one of them.Now under claim status it says Audit Eligibility Review Complete.
Was the offer for the full amount?

miltak

TDI
passat,jetta
Yes,the offer was full amount.I would post it here,but don't know hot to copy and paste from pdf.
I still have few others on rebuilt title and those are still sitting.I have 2 clean titles,that I got from lease company,so no issues there and those takes too long as well.Normally they took couple weeks and now it has been there over 6 weeks and still waiting for offer on those 2.
3,0 is moving way faster-I submitted claim,about week later document approved and only about week later I got offer and scheduled appointment.

Last edited:

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Still waiting on approval for an 11 Treg with salvage title to clear. Package shows accepted on 5/18/17...

TDI
Passat, Jetta
Spirit of the Suit...IS TO GET THE CARS OFF THE ROAD!

I too have found that they are stalling. I also love when we call and speak to some members of council they state. "what you are doing may not be in the spirit of the buyback"

I beg to differ.

1. The intent of the settlement is to take the cars of the road. I applaud VW and Judge Briar (sp) for offering more for each of these cars for that purpose.

By doing so creates, what some on this forum are calling dishonest or unethical practices, a way to clean up the market place. I know I have purchased some of these cars and turned them back in for a profit...who cares...it gets the cars off the road.

I also know that if there wasn't some profit to be made then these cars would still be rebuilt and placed back on the road polluting whatever road or country they are in. By creating the ability to profit, above market value and being able to profit these cars are being taken off the road. That is the 100% SPIRIT of the settlement. The spirit of what VW did is wrong. They have absolutely NO say that it isn't in the spirit of the settlement. VW lied, they got caught, they are paying for it. I hate the fact that it is stalling and think they are doing it on purpose. Will they have to buy these back!!!? Absolutely...can they drag there feet....obviously. Is it right. Not at all...I can figure out what happened to my cars I bought quickly. It is simple. Someone owned it....someone sold it to insurance....they got paid....VW still has a car polluting the roads....VW needs to get the car off the road....VW dragging there feet cause they don't want to pay anymore money then needed....By dragging their feet...prices will go up per mileage buckets....they will figure out they should have paid for the cars when they did....VW will now pay more money then they had too....someone will get fired at VW because they thought they could out smart the settlement....blahblah... Just buy the cars back like you agreed and did from the beginning.

I have always disagreed with the settlement that if it was salvaged but brought back to working condition before Sept 15, 2015. That they are excluded. Why, because they are still polluting the air. I do agree with the fact that if they were sold as scrap or at a junkyard they shouldn't be allowed to be brought back to life and sold for a profit. Those are already off the road.

I have 2 cars that I am trying to sell back and they have been in limbo since March of this year. I understand VW is dragging there feet. I don't think they should have to pay restitution twice. But I also think they are missing the boat of what is being done here. IMO.

1. If someone gets in an accident. Sells the car to insurance. They have no claim. I don't know if or where it states they should get restitution. They had until September of 16 to make a claim. VW did that to ensure they could get to over 85% to not get fined. If you are lazy and didn't make the claim by that date...your fault. If they sell the car that is their choice. The previous owner have been paid by insurance and can get a new car...that is what insurance is for. If not cancel your insurance on all TDI'S, just get liability insurance to cover the other party cause VW is in essence your insurance on your car.

I know it is a lot of money to us individually...but not to VW....but let's assume the following. 2000 cars fall into this multiple claim category. 2000x5000. Your talking about $10,000,000 dollars. For the sake of what it is double it $20,000,000.00. The settlement is north of 15 billion. Your talking approx a tenth of a percent.... .001333333 to be exact on additional restitution paid.....IF all Restitution claims are double paid. VW is saying there are 500 of these claims in question....if I am reading correctly in the forum. OK so that is $2,500,000 in additional restitution. Now we are talking .00016666, 1/100th of a percent.. CMON VW....seriously. Dragging your feet over that....look I'll even talk half of the restitution back if that makes you feel better......

Again, I applaud what Judge Briar and VW have agreed too. Why, because it gets the cars off the road. Who cares if people profit from it...again that is what is great about the settlement. IT CLEANS UP THE MARKETPLACE ON THESE CARS!!!! That is what the EPA wants, and Judge Briar wants there is no question that is what I want...haha. VW gets what they deserve for lying and decieving. They are still incredibly profitable company....just had one of there best quarters to date. VW will be fine....just buy the damn cars back and close this out move on from it.

2010golf

TDI
2010 golf 6spd manual RIP. 2015 golf 6spd manual

I have always disagreed with the settlement that if it was salvaged but brought back to working condition before Sept 15, 2015.That they are excluded

What do you mean by that? I successfully turned in my 2010 golf in April for buyback. It was salvaged and rebuild back in 2012 and I purchased in 2014. Seems the only exclusion was if the car was crashed before and still owned by insurance or junkyard on Sept 15th?
I think this exclusion was put in to keep the junkyards from trying to piece together and turn in all there old cars. Seems reasonable to me.