Head stud install question...

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I'm doing a timing belt/water pump job on my TDI in a couple weeks and I figured that while I have all the coolant drained I might as well put in the head studs I have. My question; is it ok to just remove the old head bolts and install the head studs without changing out the head gasket? Or is it necessary to put in a new head gasket when you remove the bolts?

Thanks in advance!:eek:
-Fred-

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
There's no reason to change them unless you have issues or are running boost pressure around high 20's.

That being said, just do one stud at a time and you don't have to remove the head/replace gasket/drain coolant/etc. The only thing that makes it easier when doing a TB job is that you don't have to remove the valve cover twice.

I used a procedure similar to this one: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=308795

ItsADiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Well I'm going to be installing a VNT17/22 turbo, a 3 Bar map sensor, and many other supporting mods in the next couple months. I'm hoping to be putting around 300ft lbs to the wheels and I was told that 300ft lbs is right about when it's a good idea to install head studs so you don't lift the head while boosting. Even if I don't get to 300ft lbs, I still see the head studs as $140 worth of insurance on my engine :)

Thanks for the link arne487!

vdubber4life

Banned
TDI
mkiv, mkiii
I know people running more boost and hp/tq than that w/out head studs. Most of the smart people will tell you headstuds are a giant waste of time on here, and the stock ones are extremely durable.

m_mcgranahan

TDI
99 Beetle TDI
Hi,

I have to disagree on head studs. My stock power 1999 Beetle TDI started leaking coolant from the head gasket. The solution for me was to install ARP studs. Head studs give more clamping force and are a big help especially if you want to run more boost.

Thanks

God bless...
Mark