newbie here w/ a '03 Golf TDI 5spd

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
Hey everyone. I've been a gearhead all my life... Been doing the horsepower and truck thing most of the time.... The gas prices in socal have gone up so much I decided to finally pull the trigger on a TDI... I've always wanted one.
I'm looking forward to learning more about these great cars.

Just picked up this single owner Golf...

Cbad101

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
welcome to the club, chad!

What is the timing belt history of the car? How many miles on it and the car, itself?

Did you get any maintenance records?

read the FAQ at the top of the 101 page as well as the info over at www.myturbodiesel.com

read, read read..

Welcome to fred's!!

matt

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
Sweet! Congrats and welcome!
Tons of great info on this forum. my 0.02:
kiva x2
Spend your initial time getting a clear picture of the maintenance on the car.
Especially focus on making sure you have verifiable timing belt history. See related posts. If you discover the TB needs to be done, don't rush to the nearest place who says they will do it. Find a guru (listed on this site). Looks like a really clean car. Enjoy!

3800rpmDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta Wgn 5spd w/ mods, '03 Wgn 5spd stock, '05 Passat Wgn - chainless.
In addition to what others have said - change all of your filters & fluids. Unless you can verify the correct ones were used. even still it's good piece of mind & cheap then you know where you're starting. same with brake fluid flush.

make sure once it's warmed up you rev it high to shift (will help keep all the soot out of the intake & turbo); and do at least on WOT run per week....

ENJOY!

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
Thanks!

It has 90k miles on it...It is VERY clean. A one owner car. I'm planning on thoroughly going through the car this week... I am an experienced mechanic(from my former life) but never really touched the german cars - US and Japanese mainly. I'll be performing all the maintenance myself unless I need an expert or if I am lacking the proper tools.

There is some paperwork/records in the glovebox that I need to go over.

They said the belt was done recently but I will confirm.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Carl, very nice looking and sought-after rig you got there! Welcome aboard!!

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
They said the belt was done recently but I will confirm.
This is a very sensitive maintenance operation. It's not sufficient to confirm that it was done recently. That it was done recently... could actually be worse than not done at all, if the proper (and full) process was not followed. Some experts on this forum will recommend to you: If you cannot verify concretely the full replacement process and parts used and who did it, you should have the job done completely again, from the beginning. I know that may sound radical, but there's a very real risk of expensive engine repairs if something in the TB path happens to go awry. You can find many posts on here to the effect of "Changed my timing belt 2 weeks ago and today the car just quit while driving...." (not trying to scare you !!)

procupine14

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Beetle 5sp
You just purchased the car that my girlfriend wants BADLY. It looks great! As everyone else has said, welcome to Fred's. Looks like you are willing to spend some time on making sure that everything is up to speed. This is good as keeping on top of the maintenance is the key to these cars lasting.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Welcome to the club.Nice ride like the color, most of them are sliver or green:rolleyes:

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
You just purchased the car that my girlfriend wants BADLY. It looks great! As everyone else has said, welcome to Fred's. Looks like you are willing to spend some time on making sure that everything is up to speed. This is good as keeping on top of the maintenance is the key to these cars lasting.
I went to Lajolla(seaside upscale San Diego) last night for sushi with my girlfriend... I was approached twice about my car. ***! The GF is laughing because people are giving me props on my little commuter car... LaJolla is full of $100k cars and I'm getting jocked... funny stuff.
"hey - is that a 5 speed? are you getting 50mpg? I've been looking for one of those for a long time" hahahah
about the belt - I understand the sensitivity of the timing belt. This will be looked at ASAP.
So far - I've driven only about 80 miles in it and i'm down 1/8th of a tank. Pretty amazing.
two things I want to look into after the maintenance is done:
new speakers - they sound like CRAP at higher volume.
the instrument cluster doesnt have the "MFA" -the digital display - i'd love to swap one of those in.

Last edited:

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
with your background, you're going to do nice by that little car. Please, please heed the timing belt advice given. Read the TB procedure on this site and the info at www.myturbodiesel.com.

Pick up a Bentley Manual: http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Je...2519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302794932&sr=8-1

Amazing info on this site. Attend your local GTG! We have a west coast GTG coming up in the fall in the bay area (see regional forum). Several people drive up from your neck of the woods.

So, when are the nozzles and chip tune going in? :D

enjoy!

matt

Tom W.

Veteran Member
TDI
mash-up GettaTDI150, 1986 Jetta Delux D, 2005 Passat TDI sedan
Woa, sweet ride! LOVE the color. 90k? That's crazy low mileage. Glad to see such a nice TDI in the proper hands- welcome aboard!

Conan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 GLS TDI
Congrats on the new TDI. You will be blown away by how much power these things can make with simple mods. I put better nozzles (Bosio PP520) and a chip tune on mine, and it's like night and day. The biggest limiting factor on power mods is the stock clutch. Most folks here ditch the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) for a SMF when the DMF starts to rattle or slip.

Life will be much easier for you once you get VCDS, and can 'talk' to your car's computer with a laptop. I saved a coworker a $150 diagnostic charge by scanning her codes today. These cars are completely computerized-- you'll be amazed what you can do with VCDS (formerly VAG-COM).

About the TB-- see if you can get ahold of the TB change invoice. Make sure ALL of the parts that touch the belt (water pump, tensioner, etc.) were replaced. Even dealers screw up the TB job. One common failure is to put the tensioner in backwards, or without the locating tab in the slot. The tensioner will turn (maybe months later). Tension decreases, belt slips, head is toast.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Glad to see another "southern" Californian on the boards. I've you drive up this way sometime let me know.

Not many local TDI specific gtgs happen, but I'll see if I can make one happen in July. Wouldn't mind doing it in SD actually, just gotta find us a shop for the gurus =)

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
Congrats on the new TDI. You will be blown away by how much power these things can make with simple mods. I put better nozzles (Bosio PP520) and a chip tune on mine, and it's like night and day. The biggest limiting factor on power mods is the stock clutch. Most folks here ditch the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) for a SMF when the DMF starts to rattle or slip.
Life will be much easier for you once you get VCDS, and can 'talk' to your car's computer with a laptop. I saved a coworker a $150 diagnostic charge by scanning her codes today. These cars are completely computerized-- you'll be amazed what you can do with VCDS (formerly VAG-COM).
The more torque the better! I'm coming from 5.0 and 4.6 32V Mustangs, 300hp+ G35s, 455 cubic inch GTO's, etc. My daily driver is a Tacoma 4.0 v6 w/ a 6 speed manny thats gonna be sold ASAP.
I'm sure there are plenty of chip guys / tuners... Give me a referral. As soon as i get the maintenance out of the way, the mods begin. I always mod my cars. I'm have all the tools. New clutch? No problem....
I'm pretty excited about this... I drove to Trestles this morning (40 miles round trip) to surf and the gas gauge didnt move. That was a 1/4 tank drop on my Tacoma. Any one have a good recommendation for racks?

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS TDI Silver 5spd
Sweet ride... I only got my golf in the beginning of the year(it's the more common reflex silver)? You mind sharing how much u paid in Socal? You'll certainly have a lot of fun with it since you know your way around cars ;)

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI
Sweet ride... I only got my golf in the beginning of the year(it's the more common reflex silver)? You mind sharing how much u paid in Socal? You'll certainly have a lot of fun with it since you know your way around cars ;)

dezeljunky

Veteran Member
TDI

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
I paid $10k for it(yikes!), I shopped around quite a bit. The higher mileage, multi-owner cars were less but they were mostly in need of restoration.

There are a crap load of dealers/flippers hitting the auctions looking for TDI's and hybrids...

If anything, these cars will appreciate in value - if not - stay the same.

Last edited:

kiva822

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
If anything, these cars will appreciate in value - if not - stay the same.
one can dream, eh? I suppose, if you didn't drive it... ;)

Seriously...do a search for tuners and you'll find a ton of info. As far as opinions, it's a can of words and it's like religion to people.

MonsterTDI09

TDI
You paid 1k to 2k to much for the car.But it is rare to find a 8 year old car with low miles and in good shape.This is not about nip picking on what you paid for the car in any way.Yes the market is changing.The question is how far will people go to but a TDI?The bubble will pop when who knows,and how hard the bottom drop down.I think you will be fine because the car is in good shape.

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
You paid 1k to 2k to much for the car.But it is rare to find a 8 year old car with low miles and in good shape.This is not about nip picking on what you paid for the car in any way.Yes the market is changing.The question is how far will people go to but a TDI?The bubble will pop when who knows,and how hard the bottom drop down.I think you will be fine because the car is in good shape.
I may have paid a premium for it on a national level but not here in Socal. The gas prices here are $4.15 a gallon right now on average and these cars are in high demand. Everytime one popped up for sale, it was gone in a matter of days if not, hours. Until gasoline prices drop, there will be demand for these.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Carlsbad's right, California has inflated tdi prices, but that's the market.

You're paying $4.15 at a regular station? I can't find it for less than $4.45 unless I drive a bit aways =p.

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
Carlsbad's right, California has inflated tdi prices, but that's the market.

You're paying $4.15 at a regular station? I can't find it for less than $4.45 unless I drive a bit aways =p.
$4.15 for regular unleaded. Diesel is $4.40ish

what I was trying to say is the gasoline prices are creating a huge market for alternative fuel and hybrid vehicles. When driving around, I am never ever out of sight of a prius. I am seeing a lot of TDI VW's and Audis around too. When I visited Texas a couple weeks ago, hybrids were a rarity.

I looked into getting a hybrid as well. The demand for them is also very strong and CA prices for them are higher than the national average.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDI
In Texas there a tons of pickups:rolleyes: Today RUG $3.84 and D2 $4.27.On the plus side you don't need a battery:D. Enjoy your new ride:DGood luck

halocline

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta Wagon
I'm not sure you're understanding the potential problem with the timing belt change. If that were my car, I would immediately re-do the belt unless you can prove that it was done correctly. The big issue is that most mechanics, including many VW dealers, do it wrong. The cam timing is very sensitive, and valve/piston contact is more likely than you would think. A common problem is that someone does not use the correct lock-down tools, gets the timing off a couple of teeth, and you get light contact with the valves/pistons. Not enough to cause a noticeable problem, but 10-15K miles down the road one of the valves breaks. You read about it all the time on this forum.

I would have paid extra to get one in which the TB had not been touched, unless again you can prove that it was done correctly. I guess the only way to do that is to find out who did it, go visit him, and ask about the lock down tools.

It sounds paranoid, but I'd probably just do it over.

Carlsbad101

TDI
'03 Golf TDI manual
I'm not sure you're understanding the potential problem with the timing belt change. If that were my car, I would immediately re-do the belt unless you can prove that it was done correctly. The big issue is that most mechanics, including many VW dealers, do it wrong. The cam timing is very sensitive, and valve/piston contact is more likely than you would think. A common problem is that someone does not use the correct lock-down tools, gets the timing off a couple of teeth, and you get light contact with the valves/pistons. Not enough to cause a noticeable problem, but 10-15K miles down the road one of the valves breaks. You read about it all the time on this forum.

I would have paid extra to get one in which the TB had not been touched, unless again you can prove that it was done correctly. I guess the only way to do that is to find out who did it, go visit him, and ask about the lock down tools.

It sounds paranoid, but I'd probably just do it over.
The timing belt will be checked, of course, redone in all probability.