www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > General Automotive

General Automotive General automotive discussion. This is intended to be a discussion about other not VW and Diesel cars you may have or interested in.

Old January 15th, 2018, 18:19   #16
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

"Same price range as an average sedan"? Really? Average sedans are priced in the mid-20s these days. Don't think that's what a Model 3 would cost.

I drove a Model S for the first time on New Year's (thanks Jason and Lawson). I was impressed. But I don't want one. I don't want any $80K+ car, nor a Model 3 at $40-50K, or whatever it ends up costing. I have the same feeling about a new Mercedes or BMW. They worry me because of the complexity. I feel the same way about my 335d, but at least it didn't cost much.

I'm very happy driving my TDI, thanks. I appreciate its simplicity and that I can repair most things that go wrong. And not much goes wrong.

I've heard the "always leave home with a full tank" line before. You better, since a Model 3 is about out of range at the time my TDI fuel gauge comes off the full mark. I've driven it over 800 miles on a tank many times, and at speeds a lot higher than 55 MPH. And typically my rest stops are less than 10 minutes.

I like Teslas. They're great for some people. But not for everyone, just like TDIs aren't for everyone. I hope you enjoy the car.
Old January 15th, 2018, 18:37   #17
nwdiver
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 320wh/mi; ~90mpge

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoBlueWagon View Post
I like Teslas. They're great for some people. But not for everyone, just like TDIs aren't for everyone. I hope you enjoy the car.
So...... what's the plan for breaking our addiction to petroleum for fuel?

Obviously a $35k car isn't for 'everyone' but electrifying our transportation is morally obligatory. Get a $7k used LEAF....

Last edited by nwdiver; January 15th, 2018 at 18:49.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 19:04   #18
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Well said IBW. Not for everyone, cuts both ways. With diesel and electric. Thankfully we still live in a nation that does not mandate one or the other. Or at least we used to, with the diesel restrictions and the electric incentives that has probably changed.

In three days I can drive from Caribou to Oceanside. I’m always in a hurry when I drive somewhere. Gas, eats and bathroom all in one stop if possible. Though with an 800 mile range you usually have an additional food and bathroom break at the halfway mark.

I’m glad Tesla owners like their cars that’s an awful lot of money to spend and wish you hadn’t. Five years ago I bought my 05 for just about 7k. Last week I crossed the 300k mark. It owes me nothing.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2018, 19:23   #19
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=nwdiver;5370868]So...... what's the plan for breaking our addiction to petroleum for fuel?...[/QUOTE

Drill more..lots more. I sit on top of the Marcellus shale. A few years ago some wind farms were built locally. Three of them, approximately 100mega watts each is the way it’s measured I believe. On any given day those wind farms are spitting out a pathetic 17 megawatts each. And the “green” jobs are non existent from those projects, a few temporary construction jobs with imported help and probably half a dozen permanent positions at each place.

The gas drillers on the other hand have come in and hired almost every available body in the county that wants to work. And they pay really well, now are the jobs temporary? Sure, but the drillers have been here for over 5 years and still going the wind company’s are long gone.

There is no plan to wean ourselves from oil and gas and live like the Amish, which is exactly what will happen if you depend on wind and solar. Only the rich will be able to afford the goodies in life and everyone else gets the dregs.
Old Yesterday, 03:23   #20
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Let's not go down that road (see what I did there? ) Teslas have their environmental penalties, too. I'm not convinced that one is better than the other.
Old Yesterday, 04:55   #21
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:

Obviously a $35k car isn't for 'everyone' but electrifying our transportation is morally obligatory. Get a $7k used LEAF....

Here we go...
Old Yesterday, 09:43   #22
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

In the interest of civility I put him on my ignore list.
Old Yesterday, 09:54   #23
surfponto

The Leaf range is the deal killer for me.

We tend to travel a lot, San Diego to Central Coast, Mountains and desert
TDI cost me 22,000 back in 2013.
Have got my moneys worth and then some...
Was not happy with the emissions scandal and am still on fence with selling it back or fixing it.

Quote:

Old Yesterday, 19:36   #24
Jetta SS
Veteran Member

TDI(s): '98 Jetta
Fuel Economy: 48

You should sell that model 3 and buy another TDI with the profits. Cash in while the demand is there.
Jetta SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 19:48   #25
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:

For me "morally obligatory" is to use as judiciously as possible my monetary resources. What if I keep and maintain my older TDI that has a generous cargo and great performance without being a gas guzzling six or eight cylinder SUV as my family car (both urban and road car in one)? Then what I have extra $ I put to increase the efficiency of my house or save for the future of my family.

Efficiency and sustainability can be achieved in various ways in our life; that's the beauty of it. "Not putting all our egg$$ in one basket" :-)

Makes sense, no?
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote