www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 14th, 2018, 08:13   #31
Rrusse11
Veteran Member

RexNICO,

So it looks like the clever thief with a wireless hack rolls down your windows and loots the car. Hmmm, a feature I will NOT be installing.
Using the key on the rare occasion that I'll be using the window operating function is not much of an inconvenience. And from what
I can gather, more secure.

An example of WiFi overreach IMO. In this day and age you can be
TOO connected.

Cheers,
R*2
RC Stage 4: 11mm pump, 17/22, 3bar MAP:2.5" Exhaust: Koni Reds HD Springs, ~1"lift:VR6 fr swaybar, Top strut & rear tie bar: XXIO Racing Rims, 215/55ZR16 GMax AS03's, 10mm/20mm spacers, 35# @: Ventectomy: Atlas skid plate: 02J, SBC2 End, .717 5th, Peloquin LSD, Fluidampr: TT Short Shifter: Bosal Hitch: VW racks:
Rrusse11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 08:46   #32
Enabled
Veteran Member

Not to worry, it's just as easy to wedge the door open and get in.

In these TDIs, the immobilizer can be defeated (without key) in less than a minute via OBD.
So it's just better to know that people didn't thieve our old cars because they simply do not want to.
-BMW 328d wagon
Enabled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:22   #33
Rob Mayercik
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
On New Jersey, I found a station across from the NY state line that has
"self serve" diesel. Just off I-84 near Port Jervis, where NY, NJ, & PA
intersect. The NJ price saves a good $.40 gallon over the other two.
Diesel fuel is exempted from the "no self serve" law - it is perfectly legal to pump your own diesel in NJ, been doing it since 11/2001 when I brought home my TDI. (see also this post: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=11)

That being said, I open the fuel door, hang the cap on it, and then have the attendant start the pump (many stations require the swipe of an "attendant card" to activate the pump). I then take over and deal with venting/topping up.

I have never once had an attendant tell me I wasn't allowed to pump my own diesel fuel.
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:30   #34
VincenzaV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Better than a tank, worse than a cyclist.

No problem whitedog! I have thick skin....

Oregon, as well as CA are on my "Not getting a nickel from me" list as well.

Beautiful states, but I stay the hell away from L-wing territories. After 10 years of active duty, I refuse to be treated as anything less than a free man...
VincenzaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:48   #35
whitedog
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincenzaV View Post
No problem whitedog! I have thick skin....
Oregon, as well as CA are on my "Not getting a nickel from me" list as well.
Beautiful states, but I stay the hell away from L-wing territories. After 10 years of active duty, I refuse to be treated as anything less than a free man...
Then you definitely want to stay away from Eugene, Salem and Portland. The East side of the state definitely leans away from them, although Bend is starting to lean that way.
Old January 15th, 2018, 10:08   #36
Caddy 16v
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrusse11 View Post
RexNICO,

So it looks like the clever thief with a wireless hack rolls down your windows and loots the car. Hmmm, a feature I will NOT be installing.
Using the key on the rare occasion that I'll be using the window operating function is not much of an inconvenience. And from what
I can gather, more secure.

An example of WiFi overreach IMO. In this day and age you can be
TOO connected.

Cheers,
R*2
No wireless hack needed, much simpler, a big screwdriver will act like your key to roll down the windows!
2000 Jetta, mufflerectomy, Evolution Atlas skid plate, OEM xenon reps retrofitted, Hella Micro DE, HFLOX Warp 3 nozzles, 3 bar map, Malone Stage 5 Custom, Euro 17/22, DC Stage 4 clutch, STAGG suspension, Curt hitch, Auber EGT and NSP boost gauge, Hella Sharptones, Rally Armor mud flaps, 1.8T pancake pipe, upgraded SMIC, VAG-COM, all offroaded out
2000 Golf, JSP Armadillo skid plate, limo tint (Sold)
Caddy 16v is offline   Reply With Quote