Would you do it? Audi Q5 TDI CPO

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
So I just looked at a couple CPO Audi Q5 TDIs. Premium Plus, with the Technology packages. Also drove an S5Q - awesome. The TDIs are just Very nice. Dealer told me they were clear to sell them . . . (Audi still shows a stop sale on their diesel info site, so . . . hmm).

They have a previous dealer loaner with 1800 miles on it, 2016 - CPO.

I really like the Q5 and could likely tune away any "fix" coming from Audi.

Definitely depends on the deal but I think it is going to be very good - and then the potential for issues later on. Audi is supposed to report on progress Aug 25th.

What say you? Would you consider it? If so, at what level of 'deal'? I think this is going to be a lot of car for the money when it's all said and done.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
It's all about the deal. Good deal and I'd do it in a NY minute. Just make sure you know all the details of the diesel gate issues.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
Thanks showdown - my head is in exactly the same place.

1 is a 2016 with 12K miles - listed at $43,999 - meaning probably could be had for 40.

the 1800 mile one - we'll see.

The way I'm reading the settlement deal is that Audi is submitting an engineering fix - i.e. ECU tune and maybe (TBD) a new 'catalyst'. More restrictive DPF? Not sure what they mean by that. Beyond the fact this car IS part of dieselgate and Audi still lists stop sale - is there something else I'm missing?

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
I looked at a 2014 Q5 tdi for a very good price but the dealer said Noone can CPO them so I would double check on that. The stop sale is on new and certified for
Right from the website.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I'm betting your dealership is just calling it CPO. My VW dealer has sold a bunch of TDI's like that. Basically brand new cars (x < 5,000 miles and not a scratch on them)...just list them as "used" rather than "CPO"...and they can sell them.

Would I do it? Maybe if the price is right. I can't used dropping $40k on a used car though.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
Good points on used vs. CPO. CPO or no-go - the 6 year, 100K warranty is a must. Without that, clearly no deal.

I'll update the thread once I hear the outcome of the discussion with the CPO Manager. Should be interesting.

I kind of want an SQ5 for the sheer hell of it but . . . mo money and turrubul MPG. Which is kind of the point :).

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
I'm betting your dealership is just calling it CPO. My VW dealer has sold a bunch of TDI's like that. Basically brand new cars (x < 5,000 miles and not a scratch on them)...just list them as "used" rather than "CPO"...and they can sell them.
I'd wonder if they couldn't be cornered legally into having sold "new", no matter what they call it, unless they have titled the car and then resold it. Carfax, or other title searches, should show whether they did. Also, depending upon state you may face the (minor) inconvenience of more frequent DEF refills, and more frequent DPF replacements. Since, the latter could eat through your $4k offer differential pretty quick, you might read up on the exhaust warranty Audi aims to provide, post-fix. This company wants nothing to do with pollution control, and will eagerly pass on costs for sensors, flaps, EGRs, DPF, LNT, Cat1, Cat2...warranty would have to be lock tight, for me to consider.

I don't even think the V6 ever made sense in the Q5. IMO, All it needed was the 2.0. That's a lot of weight in front, for this car. No?

rgoetz

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
I was very tempted by a 2014 A6 TDI, but with all the uncertainty around the 3.0, even at a good price it was too much $ for me to risk.

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
I don't even think the V6 ever made sense in the Q5. IMO, All it needed was the 2.0. That's a lot of weight in front, for this car. No?
YES! Did a drive report in the 'what would you replace your JSW with thread: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=5128213&postcount=408

You absolutely feel that cast iron block in the Q5 - particularly after driving the aluminum block killer x-over SQ5. I mean, huge difference.

Also good points on warranty, emissions . . . IF I got a 3.0 there would be much tuning later on . . . DPF just fell off! I have no idea what happened! :D

Last edited:

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
OK got the call from the dealer - as you guys nailed it -

Can NOT be sold 'Audi CPO'. Sold as used car. However this dealership group we work with has their own Extended Warranty program that is excellent (using it on our 2nd Mercedes from them) so that solves the main issue losing CPO status - 6/100 warranty.

Now it will come down to price and the 3.0L TDI emissions 'fix' risk and emissions system coverage longer term.

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
I lust after the Q5. I see them on the road and really really want one. But I could never spend that kind of money on an SUV that I'd be afraid to get dirty. Maybe someday I'll find a nice used one to satisfy my curiosity without killing my wallet.

ben

newWorldTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW 6SPD
I lust after the Q5. I see them on the road and really really want one. But I could never spend that kind of money on an SUV that I'd be afraid to get dirty. Maybe someday I'll find a nice used one to satisfy my curiosity without killing my wallet.

ben
Man I hear ya. They are not cheap, even with 'scandal' pricing.

And I will not baby this thing - it will hit the ski mountain and fire roads in the Forest on a regular basis.

Probably put clear-bra on it and some mud flaps and just drive it. Extremely capable vehicle with Quattro.

Audi is deep in my blood, my first 'real' car I bought myself back in the day was a 1987 4000CS Quattro. I still miss that awesome (if underpowered like every other Audi it seems) car.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The Q5 is a great vehicle, but I would not buy one at this time. I feel like unless you get a really good deal, you're taking a chance on the 3.0 TDI settlement and you may be on the hook for any maintenance issues that come up between now and then. Without the CPO warranty, you're trusting that the dealer's aftermarket warranty will cover everything that could potentially happen (AdBlue system problems, HPFP problems, etc.).

So yeah, unless it's a really killer deal and you feel like rolling the dice, I'd steer clear. Just my $0.02, since you asked for it. :)

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I'd wonder if they couldn't be cornered legally into having sold "new", no matter what they call it, unless they have titled the car and then resold it. Carfax, or other title searches, should show whether they did. Also, depending upon state you may face the (minor) inconvenience of more frequent DEF refills, and more frequent DPF replacements. Since, the latter could eat through your $4k offer differential pretty quick, you might read up on the exhaust warranty Audi aims to provide, post-fix. This company wants nothing to do with pollution control, and will eagerly pass on costs for sensors, flaps, EGRs, DPF, LNT, Cat1, Cat2...warranty would have to be lock tight, for me to consider.
I would imagine that's what they're doing. The car just has to have been titled. Buy it, title it, use it as a loaner vehicle, and then unload it after it gets a few miles on it.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I just bought a 2016 Audi Q5 TDI w/Premium Plus package last Friday. It had 2800 miles on the odometer. It was leased by the dealer to itself on a three month lease to be used as a service loaner car.

A note on the MSRP states it was intended by the manufacturer to be a service loaner. I assume Audi gives dealers a big discount off invoice so dealers will provide service loaner which is apparently desired as part of the overall Audi ownership experience.

The car was technically a used car because it had been titled and then returned to the sales department at the end of the lease so VW allowed it to be sold.

The F&I manager told me VW had closed that loop. Audi dealers are no longer allowed to lease a new car as a service loaner then sell it as a used car. My guess is that is only a temporary policy and leased service loaners will return next year after the stop sale order over emissions issues has ended.

It is not a CPO car. VW prohibited CPO sales under the stop sale order. All this means is the dealer couldn't provide an extended Audi warranty. I was offered a Zurich warranty which I declined.

I bought the car from Audi of St Paul, MN. Flew there Friday morning and drove the car 1100 miles home.

My VW JSW TDI is a great little car but not even comparable to the Audi 3.0 liter V6 TDI. I'm going to love the Audi. A fantastic comfortable highway car with back road and snow capability.

Last edited:

alexenyc

TDI
Q5
I am in the similar situation. I have a 14 Audi Q5 Diesel that i absolutely love and I was going to buy the car out at the end of the lease in November. I wanted to get the CPO warranty but as many here noticed none of the dealers will CPO the car because of the (way overblown) scandal.
The car is in excellent condition, only 14K miles (vs 36K that i leased it for) and it seems that the car will have at least 1 year left in warranty if i buy it out without the CPO.
I know there is a hearing Audi has on Aug 25 that will hopefully determine the fate of the 3.0 diesels, but how risky is it to buy this car out without the extended warranty - will i be able to sell it later on should the hearing go bad for Audi? I really want to keep the car with such low mileage but i am worried that when the warranty expires and systems such as high pressure pump break it will be very costly to fix.... alternately i hear that if these are fixed, Audi will cover the exhaust/engine components for up to 100K miles which will make CPO warrranty pointless...
What do you guys think?

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
I'm guessing that if the car is still under warranty after the hearing, and they can convince the judge to allow it, they may offer to CPO those cars. Its probably just a timing issue, to avoid complex legal problem of liability.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
I am in the similar situation. I have a 14 Audi Q5 Diesel that i absolutely love and I was going to buy the car out at the end of the lease in November. I wanted to get the CPO warranty but as many here noticed none of the dealers will CPO the car because of the (way overblown) scandal.
The car is in excellent condition, only 14K miles (vs 36K that i leased it for) and it seems that the car will have at least 1 year left in warranty if i buy it out without the CPO.
I know there is a hearing Audi has on Aug 25 that will hopefully determine the fate of the 3.0 diesels, but how risky is it to buy this car out without the extended warranty - will i be able to sell it later on should the hearing go bad for Audi? I really want to keep the car with such low mileage but i am worried that when the warranty expires and systems such as high pressure pump break it will be very costly to fix.... alternately i hear that if these are fixed, Audi will cover the exhaust/engine components for up to 100K miles which will make CPO warrranty pointless...
What do you guys think?
I told the story of what I think. I'm not intimidated by the unsettled 3.0 issue. What's the risk? What's the worst possible outcome?

Will Audi be granted approval of a software reflash or other retrofit? Perhaps. Can I be forced to have it done? I live in a region of wide open space, continuous breeze, and no emissions testing. Will Audi be ordered to buy it back. Very unlikely imo but I suppose it's possible. I paid thousands of dollars under MSRP for a "new" car with 2800 miles. Audi is not going to pay me less than I spent for the car.

I can buy a comprehensive warranty from USAA, my insurance company a year before the engine warranty will expire if I want to be protected by a warranty. I don't usually buy warranties. I don't expect to live a risk free life.

It's a great car manufactured by a reputable manufacturer. I expect it to be reliable and durable. My VW TDI has 112k miles and it has been completely reliable and durable so far.

You are the lessee and only driver of a low mileage '14 Q5. Who knows the condition of the car and how it has been driven and maintained than you? If I were you I would not even think twice about buying it.

Last edited: