www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old August 3rd, 2013, 17:28   #1
Vegified TDi

Default Harmonic balancer bolts stripped

Hi. Changing a timing belt on a friends 1999. One of the valve cover bolts and all of the harmonic balancer bolt heads are stripped. I have a new and not rounded #6 Allan head socket but to no avail. It seems like the last time it was installed the head slot became stripped. Any ideas on how to get them out? Extractor didn't work.

Thanks
1998 Honda VTR1000....not on WVO
Vegified TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 17:29   #2
greengeeker

Fuel Economy: 42.2/50.0/58.1

External easy outs work everytime for me.
TDIclub trusted mechanic in Minnesota - PM me
greengeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 17:34   #3
Vegified TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengeeker View Post
External easy outs work everytime for me.
The ones you tap in which bites into side of head? Tried that. I have the round style. Didn't work? Thought it was going to snap off before it turned out of the head.
1998 Honda VTR1000....not on WVO
Vegified TDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 17:53   #4
PeterV
TDIClub Enthusiast
HO5G Doyen & Zen Master

At this point .......heat...... I feel sure you would like to have a harsh word with the person that did the last TB..
PeterV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 19:37   #5
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

Try hammering in a triple-square, that's my remedy. The cap screw heads are soft enough to re-form and grip on 12 points better than they did on six flats.
As long as that continues to work, I don't need to spend for a set of external fitting extractors. When the 3-4 also strips, THEN I'll go get a set of extermals.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 21:21   #6
Genesis
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 53/48/42

Those bolts are pretty soft and easy to strip, ESPECIALLY if you use an extension on them when installing (or removing); any off-center torque and.... oops.

I've not managed to booger one yet but I pay REAL close attention when wrenching on them as I know exactly what WILL happen if I don't.
Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2013, 21:30   #7
turbocharged798
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-50mpg

I drill them out, once the head is off the bolt will usually come right out. Only takes a few minutes with a good bit.Replace with 10.9 flanged hex heads so the next person will not have that issue.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 21:53   #8
AndyBees
Veteran Member

I always give them a hard whack using a piece of brass and a hammer before attempting to loosen. I know, this is after the fact.

Also, I have used a cutting punch to break them loose once rounded out.

You have good suggestions in the above posts.

One thing I've noticed is that the torque spec is probably 5 pounds more than is necessary. I've always torqued them 5 pounds below spec with no issues............. they come out much easier too!
Old August 3rd, 2013, 22:00   #9
Metalhead
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40/44/49

Simple simple. I've never done a TB job and not had at least one strip. Take a 12mm 12 point socket, and hammer it over the head of the bolt. Comes right out.

Don't hold me to 12mm though. Just find a 12 point socket that fits snugly over it, and give it a few taps till it's on the bolt. Then just twist it out. Works every time.
Old August 4th, 2013, 06:21   #10
poor1
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK4
Fuel Economy: 56mpg (UK gallons)

Don't use an impact driver to get them out either!
poor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:12   #11
jasonTDI

Fuel Economy: 13.7 c, 12-15 towing hwy. 17-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegified TDi View Post
The ones you tap in which bites into side of head? Tried that. I have the round style. Didn't work? Thought it was going to snap off before it turned out of the head.
Hit it on harder. Get bigger socket wrench. Twist until it comes free or breaks. What other choice do you have?
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:12   #12
Fix_Until_Broke
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 75.0/53.0/38.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
I always give them a hard whack using a piece of brass and a hammer before attempting to loosen. I know, this is after the fact.

Also, I have used a cutting punch to break them loose once rounded out.

You have good suggestions in the above posts.

One thing I've noticed is that the torque spec is probably 5 pounds more than is necessary. I've always torqued them 5 pounds below spec with no issues............. they come out much easier too!
^^This

If there's any hex left, take your 6mm tool and put it back in the bolt and give it a couple good hard hits with a hammer (like you mean it) and it will spin right out. If there's no hex left, do the same thing and then try a 12 point/triple square, next size larger fractional one, a vicegrips, etc. Once you hit it with a hammer a few times they come out very easily.

I replace them with 12.9 capscrews which are much harder and don't strip out as easily the next time.
03 Jetta, Cat 2u, DG Steel SP w/MOGolf Mod, 3"DP, 4"EXH, EaBP100 Bypass, Euroswitch, ECodes, Driving Light, PD Lift Pump, R520's, RC5,RC6, TDTuning, Malone, ScanGaugeII, 3" TIP, 2" TOP, HE221W Compounded with GTC1444VZ, 6 Bar MAP, VR6 MAF, Vented Fender Liner, Battery Cover Mod, 11mm, Monster Mats, 215/55/17 (27.9/53.0/75) Monthly MPG Links, Euro Trunk Latch, IDParts RSB, SDI or ALH Intake, ARL Ceramic Pistons, Rosten Rods, DRW, Wavetrac, SBC, FSD's, Beef Springs, Rebuilt Head, Recaro's, Colt II, DG Sigma 6, RMT200
Fix_Until_Broke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:18   #13
mr_dink

I've had success with hammering a torx bit into them.
About a t40 iirc.
mr_dink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 09:51   #14
Lead_Sled

Fuel Economy: 52

Had this happen a few weeks back. I used an external easy out that I had a set of. Removed the 2 bolts that I could. By the time I finished hammering the external easy out over the bolt, it was fairly easy to get out. But maybe my hammering was quite excessive. Nevertheless, they gave way.
Old August 4th, 2013, 19:08   #15
dogdots

TDI(s): None

I keep 3 craftsman 12 point 12mm sockets in my toolbox for when the hex head rounds out. I usually have 1 round every 3 or 4 timing belt jobs even after tapping my 6mm snap-on with a hammer before using the impact to zap them out. Just pound the 12mm socket on there and it will zap right out.

I keep craftsman 12mm spares so I can trade out the cracked ones at sears at my convenience instead of the convenience of the snap-on dude.