2004 BEW Jetta TDI - Low Power (possible Limp Mode)

irsean

TDI
Jetta
I have a Jetta that has low power like it's in limp mode. I don't have any diagnostic equipment except a Code Reader (P0102). Did a lot of "low power" trouble shooting. Still need to trace wiring and vacuum to MAF. Replaced MAF.
The things is, when I unplug the MAF sensor, the engine picks right up. Plug it back in, no power (can slowly acc. up to 50 MPH).

Tomorrow I will start tracing wiring but does this sound familiar to anyone (unplugging MAF sensor and problem goes away)?

2004 Jetta TDI 1.9 (BEW)
Tiptronic Trans

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I read here that with the ALH engines if power came back with the MAF unplugged, this indicated a bad MAF sensor. The BEW may be the same.

The ideal thing would be to spring for a VCDS scan tool and then read the fuel and air requested vs. actual amounts and possibly log them.

I would also check the actual vs. requested boost levels.

--Nate

irsean

TDI
Jetta
I already replaced the MAF. That's why I'm looking at wiring today but, thanks anyway. I was just hoping soeone would have some insight as to why even a good MAF being unplugged would inprove the cars performance. Maybe I got a bad MAF (it wasn't Bosch).

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
When you unplug the MAF, it uses a default air flow number, often 550 mg/stroke on stock ones, higher on most tunes (set by tuner).
Fueling is limited by air flow (among other things), so if your car runs better with the MAF unplugged then the reported air flow from the MAF is lower than the default air flow.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Check the heater power supply and reference.

Pin 2 (black/lilac) should be 12V with the ignition on. Terminal 3 should be 5V above common/ground. Pin 5 should be shorted to ground. You may have to have the engine idling to check the 5V source.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
You can try to find someone in your area that has one, and will use it for you.

You might do a google search of this site for towns in your area, and "VAG-COM VCDS" . You can do that by choosing search from the blue ribbon above this thread, then advanced search, scroll to the bottom for the google search.
When you unplug the MAF, does it run normally? No excess smoke?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I already replaced the MAF. That's why I'm looking at wiring today but, thanks anyway. I was just hoping soeone would have some insight as to why even a good MAF being unplugged would inprove the cars performance. Maybe I got a bad MAF (it wasn't Bosch).
Was it a MAF sensor for the BEW TDI and not an ALH or a gas VW engine?

--Nate

irsean

TDI
Jetta
MAF sensor is on a BEW (TDI-PD).

Didn't see if there was smoke when MAF sensor was unplugged but the car ran great without it and goes back to limp mode when plugged in. Can't reset limp mode. But it definitely is limp mode (sudden loss of power, accelerates slowly up to 40-50 MPH. No sputtering (leaks in vacuum/turbo).

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
If the actual air flow was as low as your MAF was reporting (say from a bad turbo or blocked intake) then it would run better with it unplugged, but smoke badly at high fuel. If it does not smoke at high throttle then you at least have reasonable air flow (and it may even be normal).

If you could borrow the use of a VCDS system, it would help a lot.

Search as mentioned above, Use the VCDS locator tools that are available (but very poor.) This thread gives some options. (Improving all the time.) VCDS locator

And I would post in the regional forum.

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
Just ordered my VCDS system. I wonder how this will run if I put it on a Netbook.
Will run fine on Netbook, I would even venture to say that's what most people put it on.

Netbooks rock for VCDS. I can't remember the last time I used a "real" laptop in a car.

-Uwe-
I'd say you could trust his opinion on the matter as he is 'the creator'.

AARodriguez Corp.

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2009 JSW and Golf 2004 TDI
The manual '04 that I have had a turbo with single broken compressor fin, it had low power, no smoke.

irsean

TDI
Jetta
Got it! Now I get to play with it for awhile. Will be coming back with screenshots. Now, I'm actually glad this happened. Gave me an excuse to buy the thing.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
check the intake past the MAF for leaks. the MAF measures the air and feeds the ECU that info, if the engine is sucking air past the MAF , it will report a lower value to the ECU. I would start with the intake hose elbow in the turbo.how is the air filter ?

Skuller

TDI
2001 2002 2004 Jetta
2004 TDI BEW Jetta Wagon vacuum at turbo line

The MRS' TDI Jetta has no zoom.
Leaks on turbo hose was fixed with a dog collar, and it worked great (I'm told).
Suddenly runs like there's no boost. Actuator holds vacuum.

I checked the vacuum (mini-vac) at the turbo line while at idle. I figured it would be 2-3 in/Hg.... NOPE! It was at 20, which means at idle the turbo should be producing considerable boost.

Any ideas? A bad N75?

-Skuller