www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old July 21st, 2007, 04:04   #1
terrydtdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: BEST 58 ( 900 mile Club ) av. 46, worst 38, Mobil 1 TDT
Default Installing TB stripped harmonic balancer bolt

Changing out TB got to harmonic balancer bolts and they were WAY over torqued (dealership last installed),stripped the allen head ,just barely got the others out .I think I'm going to dremel a slot in the head and use a impact driver tool to get it to move . Does that sound like the way to go or should I go to Sears to get a special tool, any ideas ?
2K jetta gl tdi 5spd 407k, RC5+, 17/22, R520's, ported head, ARP head studs, 11mm, 3" turbo back, Kerma OMI, PD150IT & race pipe, VR6 air box & MAF, Godspeed SMIC, 3 bar map, PD lift pump, 681 fift, TT LCA's, spindles, brakes, GLI rear brakes and interior, VR6 axles, mcnalley boost/egt gauge, SBC Stage 2 Endurance, bagged, Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Last edited by terrydtdi; July 21st, 2007 at 04:08.
terrydtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 04:30   #2
gearjam

Fuel Economy: 745 before fuel light 47mpg
Default bolts

Take a drift or large punch and hammer on the heads.Sometimes the shock is enough to get them to turn. After hammering them the allen drive {you are using an allen socket and not an allen wrentch aren't you] won't fit into the hole so you have to pound it in and hopefully it will turn then. I have also used a chisel to turn the allens when stripped or just drill the heads off with a 5/16 drill.Once the heads are gone pull the sprocket off and then you have enough to get a hold of to turn it out.
gearjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 06:49   #3
Drivbiwire
Zehntes Jahr der Veteran

Fuel Economy: Who cares, it's a diesel!

Just drill out the head (very easy). Use a bit that is just slightly larger than the 6mm allen, Drill in the depth of the thickness of the head (about 8mm). The head will come off and you can remove the stud by hand or with a pair of pliers OR tighten the drill down on it and unscrew using that if time is an issue!

DB
Drivbiwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:01   #4
alphaseinor

I use a SAE 1/4" allen socket... hammer it in, and usually can get it out... if not move to a larger allen.
alphaseinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 23:17   #5
bulldogger1
Veteran Member

I went to my local Sears store and bought an Irwin bolt extractor. The extractor slips over the round head of the HB bolt and grips tighter and tighter until the bolt simply turns out. It really is a handy little tool.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 04:03   #6
terrydtdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: BEST 58 ( 900 mile Club ) av. 46, worst 38, Mobil 1 TDT

Thanks guys for replying , I worked 11 hours yesterday then went to Sears on my way home to look around ,and found (Bolt Out) just like the product Bulldogger is showing . Just got under there and tapped it on the head ,and took it right out GREAT tool . Thank you all for the other ideas ,you never know what it might take.
2K jetta gl tdi 5spd 407k, RC5+, 17/22, R520's, ported head, ARP head studs, 11mm, 3" turbo back, Kerma OMI, PD150IT & race pipe, VR6 air box & MAF, Godspeed SMIC, 3 bar map, PD lift pump, 681 fift, TT LCA's, spindles, brakes, GLI rear brakes and interior, VR6 axles, mcnalley boost/egt gauge, SBC Stage 2 Endurance, bagged, Michelin Pilot Super Sports
terrydtdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2007, 12:20   #7
corrado tdi
TDIClub Enthusiast
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 43ish overall

An 8mm triple square CV bolt socket will sometimes remove a stripped 6mm headed Allen bolt if you tap it in gently with a hammer and keep it straight while you turn it.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 17:25   #8
TDIJetta99
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: low 38, high 61, avg 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrado tdi
An 8mm triple square CV bolt socket will sometimes remove a stripped 6mm headed Allen bolt if you tap it in gently with a hammer and keep it straight while you turn it.
That's exactly what I do.. I have a cheap set from Autozone that I use for those.. The smaller one is good for when the valve cover bolts are rounded..

Good part is when you smack the triple square bit into the rounded allen, now you can use that same triple square bit to put the bolt back in.. It's kind of a conversion of sorts..