Another Cruise Control thread...

Batmanntexas

TDI
1999 Jetta
Hello all!

I have a 1999 Jetta, purchased it about 6 weeks ago. It has 229K miles on the ODO. I have steadily been making repairs and fixing small issues with it. Recently, within the past week, the BRAKE light illuminated in the instrument cluster (same light that illuminates when you pull the e-brake handle) and along with it the cruise stopped working. I have checked the system with VCDS and it shows proper functioning of both the brake pedal switch and clutch pedal switch. It does not show any 'state-change' for any of the functions of the cruise control switch (OFF/ON, RES, SET, etc.)

I have ordered a new cruise control/turn signal switch assembly, just waiting for it to be delivered.

One thing I have noticed, the intensity of the BRAKE light changes. When you apply the e-brake, the light gets brighter.

Is the e-brake switch tied into the curise control circuit?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Most likely you have a weak ground, and when you tighten the e-brake cable it's helping out as an additional ground. BTDT. :)

Don't have my MK3 manual handy at the moment, but IIRC the cluster grounds either on the multiple ground on the engine block (my best guess) or under the battery box. Brown wires, a bunch of 'em, and they like to get corroded. :)

Could also just be dirty contacts on the e-brake switch itself, although that tends to make the light flicker, as opposed to change intensity in a predictable fashion.

Last edited:

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
'99 was a split year for Jettas, if you have the MKIV you may want to call it a "1999.5"

Batmanntexas

TDI
1999 Jetta
Ok, so it's been a minute since I posted the initial thread.

UPDATE: I checked the grounds underneath the battery, there were a two groups. They were solidly attached, didn't appear to be corroded, but I removed them anyway, cleaned the metal, cleaned all the ring terminals, and then reattached all grounds. --> NO CHANGE.

UPDATE: I replaced the CRUISE/TURN SIGNAL switch with a new unit, and again --> NO CHANGE.

What's really got me confused is why the BRAKE light is illuminated? Does it illuminate if the pads are worn to the wear indicators? Do the MKIV Jetta's even have electronic pad wear indication circuits?

My VCDS clearly shows that both my brake switch and clutch switch change state when depressed.

I'm assuming, that in order for the VCDS to show the change in state, it is receiving some communication from the ECM? If so, that would indicate that both my brake light switch and clutch switch are fully functional, correct?

Thanks,
Scott

Batmanntexas

TDI
1999 Jetta
the BRAKE light comes on if the brake fluid is low and when the ebrake is applied. The low pad wear indicator looks like an amber circle type symbol.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/volkswagen-dashboard-warning-lights-what-they-mean/
Thanks for that info. Brake fluid level is fine, E-Brake is off, however the BRAKE light still remains illuminated --> and the cruise will not work.

I have looked at the schematics in my Bentley manual, but they are of little help in my opinion, at least with this issue.

Hopefully, someone else has experienced this issue and can chime in. I really miss my cruise control....

-Scott

Batmanntexas

TDI
1999 Jetta
Issue resolved. Turned out to be a blown fuse in the fuse panel located on the driver's side end of the dash, circuit #5 if I recall correctly.