16 Jetta TSI

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
What I really liked about this car was the typical VW stuff, steering, clutch, and shifter feel were great. The 1.4 had enough power to be fun, pulled good. The salesman had to point out the back up camera to me, I probably wouldn't of noticed. I spend 98% of my driving on the freeway running with the flow of traffic. 75 -85 mph. During my test drive, I didn't see good numbers on the display, was running it hard. FordGuy - any guess on what I might see mpg wise with my commute?
I usually drive at 75mph on the highway, sometimes 80 if the flow of traffic is going that fast. My best tank thus far was running premium, driving from Lincoln, NE to Oklahoma City, OK (think flat with rolling hills). 75-80mph cruise, slight tail wind, netted me 46.4 MPG hand calculated. On my highway commute, I see right around 45MPG at 75MPH (my city then drags that number down for the overall tank)

As long as its flat, I've noticed that my readout will be around 40-42MPG at 80 MPH. I would expect around 38MPG if you were to cruise at 85MPH all tank. The readout is actually fairly accurate, within a few percent of actual, so I use it as a guideline (but not necessarily taking it for the Gospel).

ymerej

TDI
13' passat tdi se dsg 15' a3 tdi dsg
If it helps any I bought my daughter 16' Jetta tsi se with connectivity really like the car. Driver seat not the best (manual adjustment) could be my opinion
But still nice car for the price. Like others said you gotta be really tender on throttle to achieve EPA numbers, you can do it just have to pay attention, I don't drive it all that much but when I do I try to keep Ac off. My daughter has lead foot syndrome so for over 11k miles tracked avg mpg is 31.5, it's not the best but it won't improve long as she's driving it?
40psi all 4 205/55/16

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I know. Need those heated seats! I don't even use them here. Hate them.
Ah, I love them. Bad back. The two best therapies for my bad back are cycling (keeps things flexible) and heat. And with leatherette or leather seats, a must-have. When it's minus 30C and your TDI takes halfway to your destination to warm up, they sure are nice!

Now however both our VWs have cloth seats and I can't say I miss the leather in my Mk VI. But I still like the heat.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
That is one advantage that this little TSI has over all of my former TDI's, heat up time. While it took a few miles for coolant to get up to temp in the TDI, it only takes about half mile to a mile depending on outside temps.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
So the 17 I test drove sold, only manual on the lot. Next town over has a 16 advertised at $14000 on their site. Sounds like a good price.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That does sound like a good price. Excellent price, actually.

If I didn't have a Sprinter on [perpetual?] order, I might look into one of these just because. Of course, I am also trying to find that elusive NOx spewing Sportwagon. I have one here now that is a decent color combo, that slightly goldish "dirty" silver with a black interior, manual.... but it has that damn pano roof. :mad: And in any case, it will probably cost me MORE to buy than a brand new NCS S. Ugh....

Debra Morgan

Veteran Member
TDI
Memories of a fantastic 2015 Jetta
No it wouldn't, because a TDI (any of the ones offered) in a Polo would use less fuel. Diesels are just more efficient. Period. There is simply more stored energy, BTUs, in diesel fuel than there is in gasoline. Even with emission compliance strangling forcing diesels to run "richer" than they otherwise normally would require to make the car move will still net better fuel economy.

Whether or not it makes monetary sense is a different debate, but for simple apples to apples fuel use comparison, the diesel will always win out.

I admit this 1.4L TSI + manual Jetta S looks pretty good, but I assure you a TDI of similar output and displacement would likely get that same car into the 55-60 MPG range quite easily. Comparing this tiny gasser to a bigger more powerful diesel (which STILL uses less fuel) isn't really the best comparison albeit that is often what is used since that is what we get/got.
I have honestly seen that out of my 2015 TDI Se many times. Especially on a long road trip at reasonable speeds over fairly flat ground...

Running 75-80 through the mountains of Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee I recently still got over 50.

So yes, I could actually see a TDI Polo doing MUCH better.

Jetta SS

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 Jetta
And that's advertised price, I would negotiate lower. What model?
From the dealers website:

_ MSRP $18,585
Dealer Discount: -$500

Selling Price $18,085
Dealer Discount: -$4000
Lousiana Flood Assistance Program: -$500
College Graduate Rebate: -$500

Conditional Price $13,085

2016 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan 1.4T S

Intercooled Turbo Regular Unleaded I-4 1.4 L/85ManualReflex Silver Metallic

I don't qualify for all those discounts, so $14085.... before negotiation :).

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I would wager you could get that 13k price, and that's one hell of a deal. Compare this car to others in that price range and it easily bests the snot out of them.

On another note, burger tuning is going to release their JB1 here in December, and I'm thinking about picking it up. The 1.8t comes with an IHI IS 12 turbo, the GTI with an IS 20. I'm thinking the IS 12 would be a solid upgrade, as they can tune the 1.8t to 250whp iirc, and those guys are starting to upgrade to the IS 20, so an IS 12 could be had cheap. Only problem, exhaust flange is different on our little 1.4t (but the IS 12, 20, and 38 are all the same exhaust flange). I guess nothing a little adapter wouldn't fix. I'm wondering if the slightly larger turbo and associated lag would actually improve city MPG as you would be in vacuum more than boost.

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Did you ever have that oil leak you discovered during your oil change checked out? I crawled around under mine a few weeks ago when I rotated tires.I couldn't believe how shallow the oil pan is. I'm consistently getting at least 41mpg per tank(on RUG),rural/city with an occasional run on the Thruway....I'll try another tank of the non-ethanol 93 octane next tank.I should be getting the first service done within a few more weeks.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
No not yet, its a much slower leak than I first thought. Oil level hasn't moved too much in the 2500 miles since the first oil change.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I'm watching this discussion with considerable interest. In about 2 years we will be spending winters in Langley BC at a condo my wife inherited from my mother-in-law when she passed on. Rather than ship or drive one of our cars back and forth, we'd like to buy a car to base there. Though I'd prefer another wagon, we could probably live with a sedan as we do plan to move there permanently when we get older and bring whatever cars we have here at that time.. it's a much more elder-friendly part of the world than where we life.

So by two year's time we should be able to pick up a certified-used '16 or '17 manual Trendline+ 1.4 TSI. I'd consider a '15 2.slow but I'm afraid that it would be too much of a dog in the mountains, which we plan to explore while out there.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
The only thing I noticed in the mountains (8000ft +) was low RPM boost lag was increased. So instead of being able to chug along at 40mph in 5th (1200 RPM's) I downshifted into 4th to go up to about 16-1700RPM's for better turbo response.

I love this car for what it is. Its not fancy, its not fast, but it gets decent MPG's and is torquey where I spend 99% of my RPM time. Like I said, compare it to other cars in the price range and its leaps and bounds better.

CT_Gman

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Jetta Sport, 2011 Golf TDI 6MT 2 door - GONE, 2013 Passat DSG SE w/sunroof - GONE
I love this car for what it is. Its not fancy, its not fast, but it gets decent MPG's and is torquey where I spend 99% of my RPM time. Like I said, compare it to other cars in the price range and its leaps and bounds better.
+1! (2016 Jetta Sport)

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
For the price I paid yes. I am more than impressed by the 1.4. it's like a BEW with a much better top end. 41.8MPG on the last tank

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
Really wish they'd offer that engine in a stripper Golf. I know it may cost a bit more than the NCS Jetta, as the Golf is still a "real" Volkswagen, but it may appeal to those of us that prefer a hatchback over a smallish sedan.

Although I am a fan of the NCS, truth be told, in the S trim level.

FordGuy100

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI
I went out and did 2 0-60 MPH runs. Both with non excessive (no wheelspin) launches came out right at the 8.0s mark (+-.25s). With the fastest shifting I could do. Tried to shift at around 5500RPM as power falls off after about 5000. I'll post a video later of it.

oilhammer

TDI
Yes, NCS is New Compact Sedan, which is VAG's name for the 2011+ Jetta sedan that is largely targeted at the North American market. It is the first time since the Jetta's introduction midway during the A1's original run that it is no longer a "Golf with a trunk".

The current Beetle, 2012-present, is also based on this NCS underpinnings.

The current North American Passat, which is not the same car as the Passat in Europe, is known as the NMS or New Midsize Sedan.

Both of these cars were developed from research done by VAG/VoA's Moonraker project in which they tried to learn what the American market wanted. While it is true this market does tend to favor somewhat largish, bland, and decontented lesser priced sedans, as Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and others have known for a while, the Moonroaker project seemed to have missed the mark on what actually brings a lot of Volkswagen buyers to the brand in the first place: a European brand that is within the reach of most consumers. And it really stood alone in that regard, unless you count Mini and Fiat, which both seem more of a specialty niche brand here, not really a bread and butter brand.

I think their work paid off, though, as sales of both Jetta sedan models and Passats skyrocketed here with the NCS and NMS models' introduction. And they amazingly kept their ace in the hole, the diesel engine (and even the MANual transmission!) an option on both! Which is why Dieselgate is such a bummer. They were in such good shape going forward here. Were.

Because in addition to these competitively priced and equipped Americanized sedans, they also had the Golf and Sportwagon, both of which represent a body style that is not filled with many choices, especially station wagons. They were also poised to offer a diesel Tiguan here [finally] at the next model cycle, and most all the Audi models were also getting diesel engine options. They REALLY screwed up.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I might well have bought a Diesel Tiguan, but alas, no more.
The three row whatever with the V6 looks to use more fuel than I might want.
Right now VW doesn't have a vehicle I want at least at the price I want to pay.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Appointment at dealer(Dorschel) for 10k service this Saturday(12th).....we'll see how it goes. Finally figured the trunk fob switch out-didn't know you had to keep button depressed in order to pop the trunk:eek:......annoying squeak when driver's window reaches top has returned:mad:....still averaging over 41mpg per Fuelly:D......I "patched" the alloy rims I bought for $40,sanded,then painted them the Rust-Oleum metallic charcoal gray-turned out pretty nice,now to get winter tires on them.....

Last edited:

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I had the 10k service done this past Saturday at dealer. They also checked into squeak that the drivers window does when it reaches the top-they said it was due to the aftermarket rain guards I installed:rolleyes:. I'll make sure to do the services on Saturdays-they had free lunch for all customers and employees(sub,pop,salad,pasta salad,fruit salad,cookie,chips). They don't "stamp" the maintenance booklet anymore,and when I got in to go home,they didn't reset the service reminder on the dash(which,if they would look at the booklet that comes w/ car,that is one of the steps;)). I looked in my mnual to see how to reset it and did..... I had the new winter tires mounted on rims today-General Altimax Arctics,195-65-15. I'llget them mounted on car in a few weeks.I rolled over 10k on my way to work this morning:cool:.....

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
My wife and I are in the process of finalizing our acquisition of our inherited condo on the West Coast. When that happens we will need a third car (we plan to use the place seasonally only). By the time we're ready to actually use the place, it will be in about 2 years when my wife retires. The more I look at the 1.4 TSI, the more I think a 5-sp manual Trendline+ would be an ideal car for us out there. By then I should be able to pick up a pretty good certified used one. I don't think they'll hold their value as well as TDIs once did, especially manual versions. I'd likely have to get a Quebec car though as manuals are as rare as hen's teeth on the Wet Coast.