Would you buy a rebuilt (salvage) title 04 jetta wagon?

luvette

TDI
03 jetta tdi wagon
Wagon looks great, only 64,000 miles, everything in perfect condition BUT was in head on collision 4 years ago. Autofax confirms this. Guy who is selling it says he bought it off ebay 3 1/2 years ago. He says he saw a before photo and the damage was to the front fender and hood.... hood was out of alignment 1 inch. It has a new hood, fender and radiator I think. He has been driving it for the last 35,000 miles, post-rebuild, and he says it drives great.... He doesn't have the before photo to send to me. He is selling for $11,500. The price seems too high for a salvage title but is it even worth looking into any further? Does this seem too risky? Could a 2 year old vw GLS jetta wagon with leather be deemed totalled if the damage was as minor as this guy is claiming?
thanks for you help.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
luvette said:
Wagon looks great, only 64,000 miles, everything in perfect condition BUT was in head on collision 4 years ago. Autofax confirms this. Guy who is selling it says he bought it off ebay 3 1/2 years ago. He says he saw a before photo and the damage was to the front fender and hood.... hood was out of alignment 1 inch. It has a new hood, fender and radiator I think. He has been driving it for the last 35,000 miles, post-rebuild, and he says it drives great.... He doesn't have the before photo to send to me. He is selling for $11,500. The price seems too high for a salvage title but is it even worth looking into any further? Does this seem too risky? Could a 2 year old vw GLS jetta wagon with leather be deemed totalled if the damage was as minor as this guy is claiming?
thanks for you help.
Price is way to high for a salvaged title......

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
Just look on ebay for rebuildables. Here's one that probably looks like the Jetta did after the head-on collision. Rebuildables can be great deals but you have to plan on keeping the car a long time because resale values are usually round 50%/60% of a normal car.

So, it looks like he's trying to get retail for it. I'd have it checked out by a mechanic and if good and he has maintenance records since he owned it, I'd start with an offer of $5k and maybe go up to $6k.

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon TDI, 2003 wagon Tdi, 2013 Q7 Tdi
risk is up to you, I'd offer him half or find another mint one for that price they will come around..

dariod

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
He is probably trying to get same money ha paid 3-4 years ago so not too shabby from his side.

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
1959 Ford F100 TDI ALH conversion
I wouldn't pay that much for an 04 wagon even if it hadn't been in a wreck.

Stay with the alh engine and a manual if you want good long life and value out of your wagon.

I just sold a perfect loaded '03 with a rebuilt engine and a manual trans for $11,500.

Get this one. If I didn't already have my wagon this would be in my garage already.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=274091

Good luck finding your wagon and welcome to the club

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
wow, thats not sold yet? ***? someone better pounce this quick

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
YES... That is one beautiful car. Someone that appreciates just what a fine car that is needs to own it..

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
Damn I wish it where aval. when i was looking for one..:(

luvette

TDI
03 jetta tdi wagon
So I offered the guy $7000 and he turned it down (emphatically, I might add). As luck would have it, I found an 03 jetta tdi wagon with 98,000 miles and good title today. Price: $9500. Here in northern california people are looking for $14,000 so I am feeling pretty good! It's coming from Texas, hopefully this week.
Thanks for your help!

diesel-dave

Veteran Member
TDI
okay, well your like the 03...hopefully the owner took care of it...

Gordon Peterson

Veteran Member
TDI
Find a trusted TDI mechanic close and have him check it over when you get it to make sure you are good to go.
Here is the link.

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dj2b4ww_0cbj2p8dt

Good luck with your '03. I love mine. If you take care of it, it will last you a long time. Frequent this forum and learn more about your car by asking and reading...

Welcome to the club...