intercooler upgrade

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
i live in the rockies. and being in the rockies means that there is a lot of hill climbing.

i was travelling on the coquihalla hwy 3 days ago heading towards edmonton alberta and ten minits into the first big hill tripped a code. this was with my dieselpower boz set on c and the peddle about 80% down.

what i read was that either my turbo reached overboost ( i was assured that this was not the case ) or my intercooler was heatsoaked.

here is my queston;

what is a good aftermarket intercooler for a. 04 pd jetta?

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 pd tdi sport (limited edition) platinum grey and a 1996 dodge cummins diesel 4x4 5sp lots of mods and a 335d stock for now.
thanks. i dont have a supercar but i do want to ba able to push my baby a little when i want to.

i looked up that page and noticed that my mk 4 jetta wont accept the fit. whats that all about?

Last edited:

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
i take it back. i read it wrong. thanks for the info guys. i appreciate it.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
frugality said:
Seems like it should fit your '04 PD Jetta.
just installed on my '05 Golf TDI PD and doesnt exactly fit like it does with the VE pump TDI's. i hope you mechanic is very creative cause mine had to scrap 1 pipe. but overall, unbelievable perforamce. totally elimainates heat soak and limp mode. heres the pic on my PD.

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
holy snappers! is that going fit under the bumper alright? looks like a very tight fit!

tdi_sport

Veteran Member
TDI
what material is the piping made from? guage stainless? is it bent or welded? orbital or tigd? info info.

this and injectors are going to be my next mod. if you can get the piping on an iso with the proper dimentions i can maybe make them myself.

Last edited:

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
the piping is all welded but an amazing job was done. the performance is unbelieable. now i have a cold air intake, 2.5" exhaust FMIC and Upsolute Stage 1 and im flying like a rocket. gonna be installing my power clutch and lightened flywheel in a couple of weeks along with a peloquin TBD and the PD150 injectors are coming right after. cant wait.

the core is quite large and trimming of the inner bumper skin will be required but not that big a deal.

here are 2 more pics with the bumper on. sorry for the quality, they are with my camera phone.

this one is of driver side lower grill:

http://photochannel.telusmobility.com/getImage?pid=ph1604654450467&size=IMAGE_RES_4&e=ec1v9364251840366d164344&m=164344

this one is of front bumper on (middle lower grill)

http://photochannel.telusmobility.com/getImage?pid=ph1604654500463&size=IMAGE_RES_4&e=ec1v936377940324d164427&m=164427

sorry for the extreme close up. i'll take a little further back pics real soon and post them.

Last edited:

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
Gothmolly said:
Not to nitpick, but dont all TDIs have a cold air intake?
no. they have the stock black air box. like every other VW (diesel and gas)

my cold air intake is from carbonio and does wonders with throttle response.

joevat

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI PD
hatemi said:
The OEM intake is a cold air intake :)
well it can be considered a "COOL" air intake but not a cold air. since the air filter is under the hood. mine is a True cold air intake because the piping runs down the wheelwell and the air filter sits just above the left driver side lower grill. truely intake colder more denser air.:) OEM's is nothing like it.

look at the pic.

Last edited:

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
joevat said:
just installed on my '05 Golf TDI PD and doesnt exactly fit like it does with the VE pump TDI's. i hope you mechanic is very creative cause mine had to scrap 1 pipe. but overall, unbelievable perforamce. totally elimainates heat soak and limp mode. heres the pic on my PD.
There is a special kit for the PD motors. I should make it an option on the web site. Sorry you had the extra hassle, we could have just supplied the other pipe.

grimkiller

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta
ok this might be a dumb question but im a newbie and thats my story and im sticking to it. when u put a fmic in do u have to get a new bumper??

Esper

joevat said:
well it can be considered a "COOL" air intake but not a cold air. since the air filter is under the hood. mine is a True cold air intake because the piping runs down the wheelwell and the air filter sits just above the left driver side lower grill. truely intake colder more denser air.:) OEM's is nothing like it.

look at the pic.

are you concerned about sucking up water and hydrolocking the engine?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
another option is the tylersport SMIC uppgrade for the PD. I am looking into this as I dont really want to hassle with the extra routing of piping. fits in the stock location, seems to cool VERY effectively. Dave333 and I traded some logs of a few runs. he has a very similar setup as I do, 06 Golf RC2 ( I have 1+), and his temps were WAY lower than mine, and I am in Milwaukee, while he is in Florida, so my ambient temps are lower here to begin with, and he still blew the stock temps away.

just another option...

Eric B.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
pdxgrease said:
not on a jetta. I've heard the stock golf bumper isn't ideal in terms of air flow...
Although the stock Golf bumper may not be ideal in terms of airflow, that's less of a problem and more easily fixed than if there are problems getting an FMIC to fit easily.

Any problems with fitting a FMIC in a Golf (2002, ALH engine)? I'm thinking about an FMIC upgrade on my 2002 Golf (ALH engine) and eventually on my 2005 PD Jetta Wagen (BEW PD engine).

Eventually I'm going to also install a VNT-17 turbo upgrade and get RC4 in the Golf.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
TyrolSport?

TDikook said:
another option is the tylersport SMIC uppgrade for the PD. I am looking into this as I dont really want to hassle with the extra routing of piping. fits in the stock location, seems to cool VERY effectively. Dave333 and I traded some logs of a few runs. he has a very similar setup as I do, 06 Golf RC2 ( I have 1+), and his temps were WAY lower than mine, and I am in Milwaukee, while he is in Florida, so my ambient temps are lower here to begin with, and he still blew the stock temps away.

just another option...

Eric B.
I'm thinking you mean the TyrolSport UG SMIC.

If so, and you saved the logs, I sure would like to check them out.

I live in Houston.........really past due for IC and fuel cooler solutions. ;)

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
spoilsport said:
I'm thinking you mean the TyrolSport UG SMIC.

If so, and you saved the logs, I sure would like to check them out.

I live in Houston.........really past due for IC and fuel cooler solutions. ;)
I'd really like to do some more logging before posting the results of my upgrade to the tyrolsport SMIC.

The highest IAT I was seeing at 80-85% throttle openings was 54-56c. If you have vag-com, you can run your PD hard up and down the street logging blocks 6 and 7 (IIRC) and see what you have now.

The UG SMIC won't provide the same resistance to heat soak and won't allow you to upgrade HP to the same levels that Kerma's / Eurojet FMIC would. For a stock PD100 with mild upgrades, I think it is a very good compromise. There are some twists and turns to the PD install that Tyrolsport doesn't document, but if you decide to go that way, PM me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction on how to mount it easily the first time through.

Forman

TDI
02 Passat Trendline PD130
dave333 said:
The highest IAT I was seeing at 80-85% throttle openings was 54-56c. If you have vag-com, you can run your PD hard up and down the street logging blocks 6 and 7 (IIRC) and see what you have now.
So logging blocks 6 and 7 will give us the IC outlet temp?

Is this an output test in vag-com? .. I was told never to run an output test while driving because it could disable or lock the brakes. Is this a fact?

Im trying to find out if I could benefit from a larger IC. The one I have now is a stock PD130 IC. After the chip tuning the boost is probably 1.5+ bar.

Whats a high outlet temp and whats a good temp?

dave333

Veteran Member
TDI
Did own... None right now!
Forman said:
So logging blocks 6 and 7 will give us the IC outlet temp?

Is this an output test in vag-com? .. I was told never to run an output test while driving because it could disable or lock the brakes. Is this a fact?

Im trying to find out if I could benefit from a larger IC. The one I have now is a stock PD130 IC. After the chip tuning the boost is probably 1.5+ bar.

Whats a high outlet temp and whats a good temp?
You are logging an Engine measuring block. Blocks 6 and 7 are speed, throttle position, and intake air temp, along with a few others thrown in. You are not messing with the antilock brakes.

As always, if you're not sure what you're getting yourself into, I'd suggest you get some experienced help before doing it... YMMV!

I don't know what intercooler is in the PD130. As far as intake temps go, lower is always better, eh? I like the upgraded intercooler because power is more consistent regardless of outside temp and the number of hard runs I get going back to back.

Like I said, my high temp at about 85% throttle was 54c. If your's is higher then you may benefit from an upgraded intercooler. You may need the Eurojet though, because your motor is already running in an enhanced state of tune... As has already been said, BIGGER is BETTER here...

Last edited:

Forman

TDI
02 Passat Trendline PD130
dave333 said:
You are logging an Engine measuring block. Blocks 6 and 7 are speed, throttle position, and intake air temp, along with a few others thrown in. You are not messing with the antilock brakes.

As always, if you're not sure what you're getting yourself into, I'd suggest you get some experienced help before doing it... YMMV!

I don't know what intercooler is in the PD130. As far as intake temps go, lower is always better, eh? I like the upgraded intercooler because power is more consistent regardless of outside temp and the number of hard runs I get going back to back.

Like I said, my high temp at about 85% throttle was 54c. If your's is higher then you may benefit from an upgraded intercooler. You may need the Eurojet though, because your motor is already running in an enhanced state of tune... As has already been said, BIGGER is BETTER here...

The best way to learn something is by doing it, eh? :D

I have vag-com and a KKL cable. I just haven´t gotten around to play with it yet. I need to check this thing out. I also got a ****load of other programs when I bought the cable. I dont even know what half of them do.

I´ll try the logging, and maybe I´ll use a thermometer to measure. Its a type-K thermometer so it should do the trick.

Thanks for the info :)

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
no sweat

dave333 said:
I'd really like to do some more logging before posting the results of my upgrade to the tyrolsport SMIC.

The UG SMIC won't provide the same resistance to heat soak and won't allow you to upgrade HP to the same levels that Kerma's / Eurojet FMIC would. For a stock PD100 with mild upgrades, I think it is a very good compromise. There are some twists and turns to the PD install that Tyrolsport doesn't document, but if you decide to go that way, PM me and I'll get you pointed in the right direction on how to mount it easily the first time through.
I have VAG-COM and the cars listed in my sig. My Golf sees about the same temps you posted.

I've noticed that performance really begins to suffer at around 40c+, which is very close to ambient for most of our summer. :rolleyes:

I have just UP1 + PP357, the most I plan would be RC2 + Sprint 520 so I think I won't need an FMIC, and would rather not have any turbo lag.

No rush on posting any logs, I just wanted a general idea. IndigoBlueWagon has the same UG SMIC and likes it. The TyrolSport website has a lot of good data, but it's on the 1.8T.

Thanks for the offer on installation guidance! :)

nate