Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

laxman21

TDI
2003 Jetta wagon
Filled up for 3.18 the other day. Pick is all over the place, I use gas buddy app

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Gol TDI, blue and falling apart
Saw $3.139 for diesel at Kroeger the other day, and I have enough points to save $1/gallon on my next fill-up, but I still have another week or so before I need to. Hope it doesn't go up between now and then! Even when I had my previous hybrids, I never seemed to catch the low dips on gas prices because of how far I can go each tank. And now with the Passat, going over 700 miles stretches out my fill intervals even longer!:rolleyes:
Is that like a regular Kroger grocery store, but the PA plays Nickleback 24/7? :eek: :D

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Is that like a regular Kroger grocery store, but the PA plays Nickleback 24/7? :eek: :D
Yes, regular Kroger grocery store (I misspelled it as Kroeger). For every $100 you spend, you get $.10 off per gallon at their fuel pumps. Obviously I spend a lot there....:rolleyes: I can also use my Kroger card at local Shell stations and get $.10 off per gallon, assuming I have 100 points.

Last edited:

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Yes, regular Kroger grocery store (I misspelled it as Kroeger). For every $100 you spend, you get $.10 off per gallon at their fuel pumps. Obviously I spend a lot there....:rolleyes: I can also use my Kroger card at local Shell stations and get $.10 off per gallon, assuming I have 100 points.
HyVee does the same thing here. You get specific cents off fuel purchase for buying certain things in the store, I think if you really manage it well it pays off, but for me it's too much work to manage that stuff. Since I don't watch tv or read the paper I never really know what gives you the best fuel deal.

The cards (cents off per gallon) work at other locations too, like some convenience stores.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Our local grocery store offers 10% of a gas card rather than a discount at the pump.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
HyVee does the same thing here. You get specific cents off fuel purchase for buying certain things in the store, I think if you really manage it well it pays off, but for me it's too much work to manage that stuff. Since I don't watch tv or read the paper I never really know what gives you the best fuel deal.

The cards (cents off per gallon) work at other locations too, like some convenience stores.
In Alabama, it's against state law to sell fuel for less than wholesale, so none of the typical cents-off promos are valid here. No -3¢ with a Walmart gift card, no -10¢/$100 at Kroger and no fuel-related promotions at Tom Thumb stores.

Somehow, Winn-Dixie has managed to skirt this issue by doing a program called "fuelperks!" which earns a nickel for every $50 spent, plus a lot of "buy this and get 25¢ a gallon off" type deals. Most Shell stations here on the coast participate, and I've saved upwards of 35¢ a gallon using it. I'm not sure how they bypass the law, unless there's some discounting of the wholesale price beforehand by the fuelperks! program. Typically, Shell stations that participate are noticeably higher in cost per gallon for fuels, although lately that has been not true at all.

Walmart also has a way around, if you have a WM credit card you get your discount as a statement credit instead of cents-off at the pump.

Diesel in my area is anywhere from $3.139-3.799 depending on where ya shop.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
$2.99/gal in Chesapeake, VA. Saw it on my way home last week from New Bern, NC where I had filled for $3.25/gal and thought...no way could it be cheaper anywhere!

BadWolf

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG/ 2015 Golf S Three Pedal
Oil hit a 4 year low today so expect the plummeting to continue.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Not just gas cards, any pre-paid cards and they sell a lot of different ones........
In Colorado Kroger is King Supers, they are all over the place and many have diesel fuel.....
Can you buy these cards with a credit card?

Be pretty awesome to buy it with a card that does 3% cash back at grocery stores.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
I've heard Kroger stores are offering quadruple points on gift cards for a limited time - perfect time to buy them for the holidays! They do this periodically throughout the year too. I even buy gift cards for restaurants I go to just to get the points. Although, you still can't beat the deal at Costco for Ruth's Chris - $100 gift cards for $80. I've wondered what the margin is for stores selling the gift cards? At most grocery stores, you can buy just about every imaginable brand gift card now.

Croberts

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Wrong direction

D2 up again $3.91, plus announcement from "no new taxes" Walker run DOT wants to add a $.10 a gallon state tax increase on diesel. Also plan to add an $800 state surcharge on the sale of every new car purchase and user fees for electrics and hybrids. Just weeks after he was re-elected too.
$1.15 D2/RUG gap now, highest in the 10 years I've owned my tdi.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
D2 up again $3.91, plus announcement from "no new taxes" Walker run DOT wants to add a $.10 a gallon state tax increase on diesel. Also plan to add an $800 state surcharge on the sale of every new car purchase and user fees for electrics and hybrids. Just weeks after he was re-elected too.
Owners of diesel-engine cars and light trucks would get a refundable tax credit, so they'd pay the extra tax at the pump but get it back eventually. Well, except for residents of other states.

Lots of states need to spend more on roads and bridges, and the money has to come from somewhere. People hate fuel tax increases, but after the taxes have been in effect for a few months the blame for high pump prices is shifted to the oil companies.

edit: this means that Scott Walker is probably not going to run for president.

5280 TDI

TDI
2013 Golf 6M
Filled up yesterday for $3.46, which included a $0.10 King Super discount, in Westminster, CO. Best price around here that I've seen is $3.43 in Broomfield.

Tom Servo

Veteran Member
TDI
I didn't see it for myself but I was told prices in my town have dropped to $3.039 a gallon at several stations, with gas about $2.559.

I was in another part of the county this afternoon where the spread is about double that, though. I saw $3.699 for D2 and $2.699 for regular. They must have some insane taxes in those other towns because that's over 50¢ a gallon more for diesel than in my town, which is about 20 miles away but in the same county.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
Owners of diesel-engine cars and light trucks would get a refundable tax credit, so they'd pay the extra tax at the pump but get it back eventually. Well, except for residents of other states.

Lots of states need to spend more on roads and bridges, and the money has to come from somewhere. People hate fuel tax increases, but after the taxes have been in effect for a few months the blame for high pump prices is shifted to the oil companies.

edit: this means that Scott Walker is probably not going to run for president.
I don't care if he runs for President, but I think he's smart about the taxes. Yes it's a pain to get the tax credit back for residents, but's it a way for out of state drivers who use their roads help pay for the wear and tear they put on them. I wish my state did the same thing!:rolleyes: We have one of the lowest fuel taxes in the nation but some of the poorest road conditions. There is a remarkably visual difference when you drive across the state lines into NC or GA, even on the less traveled out-of-the-way two lane roads! CA has one of the higher taxes, but look at their road and highway systems! Sure some parts of the I-5 needs to be repaved, but the roads around San Fran, L.A., and Orange County are some of the best I've seen in the country (aside from traffic congestion).

Cha2ga

Veteran Member
TDI
'11 JSW
I don't care if he runs for President, but I think he's smart about the taxes. Yes it's a pain to get the tax credit back for residents, but's it a way for out of state drivers who use their roads help pay for the wear and tear they put on them. I wish my state did the same thing!:rolleyes: We have one of the lowest fuel taxes in the nation but some of the poorest road conditions. There is a remarkably visual difference when you drive across the state lines into NC or GA, even on the less traveled out-of-the-way two lane roads! CA has one of the higher taxes, but look at their road and highway systems! Sure some parts of the I-5 needs to be repaved, but the roads around San Fran, L.A., and Orange County are some of the best I've seen in the country (aside from traffic congestion).

I also live in SC and although our roads are quite different from NC and Georgia, they are not poor. At least not to the point that I'd EVER agree to a tax increase. Poor is a relative term. NC residents claim their roads are poor. So do California residents. I have driven in 3/4 of the US and been to 36 countries. SC roads are fine for their intended purpose. I commute 60 miles and have been doing so for over 20 years. Have never had a broken car due to road conditions.