VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
What Compu_85 said. The brand names 4-Motion and Quattro have no bearing on whether it's the longitudinal Torsen system or the transverse Haldex system. The only thing they indicate is VW or Audi. If the AWD system is on an Audi, it's sold under the Quattro name. If it's on a VW, it's sold under the 4-Motion name.
For example, the Audi A4, A6 etc. use the Torsen system, the Audi TT uses Haldex. All called Quattro. The VW B5-B5.5 Passat was Torsen, like the A4 and A6, although the B6 Passat is Haldex IIRC. The VW Golf R32 is Haldex They are all called 4-Motion. Same systems in all.
I also agree that it'll be the Haldex system if we see it. Some would argue that for the sake of inclement weather, the Haldex system has a leg up on the Torsen. No doubt that'd be a hot topic though, lol.
But to answer your question, no doubt it'll be a 4-Motion system, :p
That is what I meant to say. I would prefer torsen setup over haldex.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
This is great if it happens but I will believe it when I see it. If it does come, I'm even further from understanding VW's strategy in the United States. It would be an affirmation that the Americanization of a few years past was a failure IMO. Another reason I'm surprised by the announcement is the existence of the similar A4 Allroad (though sadly not up to the original Allroad) and what I would think would be a ~$10k spread between Allroad and AWD SW for a fairly niche vehicle. I would wonder about the SW Alltrack taking sales from the Allroad

In addition to that list, I would still like to see a smaller entry vehicle, such as the Polo or Up. It would be great to have them offered with and without the TDI too.
Good discussion. What I thought would come before an AWD, lifted Golf:
- Van (passenger van market is good but STALE, cargo van now tougher to compete in)
- Pickup (midsize pickup market is even more stale)
- True entry level car, like the Polo (If you really want to sell a lot of cars, how about going back to Volkswagen, not a stretched Jetta that could barely compete in its own class on introduction, save its diesel engine?)

Last edited:

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I wouldn't count on it. Audi uses DSG now with all their AWD TDIs. It gives the computer more control of traction. Also, I don't remember if VW ever offered manuals in their 4-motion Passats a dozen years ago.
They did. I know they had Passat W8 (All were 4motion) in six speed manual. I think some V6s as well.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
The USA Today article only mentions the Golf Outback, but according to Automotive News, they're also planning to offer AWD on the regular wagon.
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...lf-alltrack-to-u.s.-in-2016-to-take-on-subaru
"Michael Horn, the CEO of Volkswagen Group of America, told reporters today at the Los Angeles Auto Show that VW has decided to offer the Golf SportWagen with 4Motion all-wheel drive in the United States starting in 2016, both as a pure wagon and as a crossover-styled variant called the Alltrack."
That article as well then goes on to discuss only the plastic-clad version. Could it be that they will offer AWD in a station wagon as well? Maybe even with the manual transmission that they teased us with at the NY auto show earlier this year? I'm not doing my happy dance yet, but VW has definitely piqued my interest.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Since the car has a transverse engine it has to be Haldex. And FWIW the '15 Audi A3 TDI on the same platform has the same 13.2 gallon fuel tank as the Golf. Betting the new Sportwagen will, too.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
There should also be product to compete with the Ford Transit for small delivery vehicles. I nominate the Caddy lineup in both windowless panel vans and a passenger mini-minivan (Caddy Life). Both with TDI, of course.

That makes a magic 6-point product plan for Mr. Horn. Thank us when it's done.
I'll second the Caddy suggestion. I was in Germany this summer and found the Caddy to be the most versatile vehicle I've seen/been in.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Although since 80% of wagons are TDIs, think they'd be dumb enough to not offer TDI+AWD? I just hope they offer it in manual.
Bases on past VW's past actions, I would say yes, they would be this dumb. One with a proper manual transmission and the new EA288 would be an absolutely awesome car.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I wouldn't count on it. Audi uses DSG now with all their AWD TDIs. It gives the computer more control of traction. Also, I don't remember if VW ever offered manuals in their 4-motion Passats a dozen years ago.
As others have said, they did offer MT with 4motion. In 04-05 you could even (finally) get the 1.8T MT 4motion...

My fear is that it will come and be another botched job by VW like the B5.5 Passat TDI with no MT option...and a dreadful slushbox. Or the even further way back failure of not bringing the Mk3 Golf with TDI...d'oh! Or the already certified for US import 98 Passat TDI that was pulled at the very last minute. They didn't help diesel continuity when they made these ridiculous decisions.

If they goof (par for the course) they'll make the base wagon TDI but they won't make that engine an option for the 4motions...I can see it now. You'll have to buy the gas version in order to get the 4motion.

There will be hisses and boos when that happens.

Steve

Last edited:

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Since the Alltrack is exclusively DSG in Europe, I'd be surprised to see a manual gearbox offered in North America. Which is fine by me, because the DSG is an awesome gearbox; our next vehicle purchase will probably not have a clutch pedal. (Wifey wins...) AWD isn't even that high on the list, but ground clearance is. Dragging the skidplate and plowing snow with the bumper is not great (and not possible without winter tires, but enough snow and you're still SOL!). Banging the skidplate over every frozen slush chunk is also not the best.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Otty, you say you made a wagon out of the US spec Passat?! If this is so, could you post a thread with copious photos of said car over in the Passat section? VW monitors the site. Show them what they need to build!

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Otty, you say you made a wagon out of the US spec Passat?! If this is so, could you post a thread with copious photos of said car over in the Passat section? VW monitors the site. Show them what they need to build!
VW already sells Passat-based diesel Alltrack wagons all over the world.

It all comes down to profit margins, but at this rate, a diesel all wheel VW Sportswagon may turn out to be $38K, only $3k to $5K shy of a diesel BMW 328d xDRIVE SPORTS WAGON.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I believe the one at the NY show was a manual. Not necessarily an indication for release in the US market, but a cause for hope, at least.

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Even for the price of an optioned out 328d, I would buy the R-line manual AWD one from the NY show in a heartbeat. I'm not normally one to make statements like that, but that is the car I want.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

It all comes down to profit margins, but at this rate, a diesel all wheel VW Sportswagon may turn out to be $38K, only $3k to $5K shy of a diesel BMW 328d xDRIVE SPORTS WAGON.
I'm not referring to the ones sold the world over. I'm referring to the Passat WE have in the good ole US of A. That one, made as a wagon would be amazing. I'm asking Otty what he means, not you.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

Can't see VW having msrp that high on the awd unless it only comes in top trim. For that price, it had better have real leather.

Seems that most manufacturers add about $2000 for either 4 wheel drive or awd. So, if VW offers awd across all trims, they should have one available for just under $30k US.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
AWD Confirmed for Volkswagen Golf Wagon, Expected to Outsell Hatchback

Volkswagen of America president and CEO Michael Horn expects that the forthcoming Golf SportWagen (replacing the Jetta SportWagen and pictured above as a concept) will outsell the regular Golf hatchback, despite the U.S. market's general distaste for station wagons. That's due in part to the fact that the new wagon will offer all-wheel drive when it goes on sale here.

Horn told AUTOMOBILE at the 2014 Los Angeles auto show that the Jetta SportWagen has an extremely loyal fan base, and that he thinks adding all-wheel-drive to the new Golf SportWagen (based on the seventh-generation, 2015 Volkswagen Golf hatchback) will give the SportWagen a unique appeal. He thinks many crossover buyers could be swayed to tried a Volkswagen wagon instead, because there are few all-wheel-drive wagons in the car's price range (Horn dismisses Subaru when we note the Japanese brand sells all-wheel-drive wagons here). It was previously unclear whether the earlier Golf SportWagen's 4Motion would actually reach production in the U.S.; Volkswagen plans to add 4Motion capabilities at its Puebla, Mexico, plant before the SportWagen launches.
Mr. Horn, while I hope I am wrong, methinks you are over-optimistic of the AWD Golf Sportwagen's sales relative to the hatchback and if Sun Tzu were still alive, he'd probably agree that you definitely underestimate Subaru at your peril.

Edit: Subaru flying high (video)

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Maybe that's part of the reason the new golf Sportswagen has had a delayed introduction compared to the golf. They have to wait for the awd set up to arrive at the plant.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
whats next the amarok??

clacker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Trendline, 2000 Jetta TDI auto, 2008 Mercedes R320, 2006 smart fortwo cdi
If you look at the recent past AWD on VW has only been offered on the higher end models-Passat VR6 for instance, no 4 cyl with AWD in the B6. Golf R was very expensive, I doubt there will be a main stream wagon under $35k with AWD, it will likely be very expensive in highline trim and have the biggest engine with DSG trans. It has been a LONG time since a manual trans 4 motions was sold here (outside of the R), 10 years now and they only sold a few hundred at that-B5 Passat with the 1.8T and W8. I could be proved wrong, just looking at the facts. I would gladly buy a tdi AWD wagon if and when it arrives, so long as it costs a reasonable amount-our brand new 2014 Golf TDI wagon Highline DSG retailed at $40k CDN with taxes/fees...they are not cheap. Hopefully it still has some equity once they do decide to bring them here!

kensic

TDI
Golf Sportwagen
I'm pretty excited that the wagen is coming to the US.

saw one in person at the LA Autoshow, very attractive car. I just hope the price is reasonable enough.

I am down for a Manual trans Diesel (maybe not AWD, since I'm in So Cal)

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
convinced CFO/wife that a GTDI sportwagen AWD is what she wants. she agreed (holy crap!!) want a 6 speed manual, even if I have to order it in Germany and import it.

the 2013's days are numbered.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
convinced CFO/wife that a GTDI sportwagen AWD is what she wants. she agreed (holy crap!!) want a 6 speed manual, even if I have to order it in Germany and import it.
You and many others have the wish to order a car in Germany and import it, but it will not happen as the US has very strict import rules requiring cars to be 25 years old. Oh well, 2040 is not so far out... :D

otty

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Passat W8=>TDI swap, 4Motion Wagon, PD130(AVF) 6Speed Manual, 2006 Jetta MKIV PD(BEW) Wagon 5Speed Manual
I'm not referring to the ones sold the world over. I'm referring to the Passat WE have in the good ole US of A. That one, made as a wagon would be amazing. I'm asking Otty what he means, not you.
The Passat wagon I PAID to be built (did not build myself) is the one in my under my screen name and in my fuelly. It used to be a 2003 W8.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
VW seems to be getting a grasp of the price points in our market. Outback should be their target as a benchmark. VW can maybe get a little premium, but not much.
From a marketing standpoint, I would do a +/- fuel card to promote the TDI brand. When RUG fuel prices are low, do a $1000 fuel card and lower the subsidy as RUG fuel prices go up. A $1000 would buy a lot of D2. Basing the card on D2 prices wouldn't work as well.

Last edited: