Changing my Rear break pads

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
I need to replace the rear break pads and was reading over this guide line

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/r...placement-on-mk5-vw-jetta-tdi-or-cup-edition/

it says i need to replace the mounting bolts everytime they are loosened, do these bolts yield when torqued or something? given my experience is with my 97 cobra, but thats seems strange to me.

"Replace each time they are loosened:
(2x per side) 13mm caliper bolts VW# wht 003 250 (wht003250), needed for brake pad or rotor replacement
(2x per side) brake carrier 12 point head bolts VW# n 911 689 01 (n91168901), needed for brake rotor replacement"

thoughts on this?

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Update: i finished reading and noticed this comment
"Installation is the reverse of removal, the torque specs are below. The new 13mm caliper bolt has threadlocker on it. The factory service manual says to replace it every time but I choose to reuse the old bolt. In my case, the bolts were not rusty, had clean threads, and have never been overtightened, so I applied a thorough coat of new threadlocker on them and reused them. Warning: failure of the bolts will cause the caliper to fall off and could result in loss of braking action! Your work is your own responsibility so I suggest following the recommendation of the factory service manual."

That answers that. ill try to refrain from posting before i read it all :)

COA3TDi

TDI
2010 Audi A3
I hear you. As you stated if they are not torque-to-yield then what is the purpose of replacing hardware. Have calipers changed that much that new bolts have to be used each time?

I read it as "replace the thread locking compound yadda yadda yadda";)

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I need to replace the rear break pads and was reading over this guide line
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/r...placement-on-mk5-vw-jetta-tdi-or-cup-edition/
it says i need to replace the mounting bolts everytime they are loosened, do these bolts yield when torqued or something? given my experience is with my 97 cobra, but thats seems strange to me.
"Replace each time they are loosened:
(2x per side) 13mm caliper bolts VW# wht 003 250 (wht003250), needed for brake pad or rotor replacement
(2x per side) brake carrier 12 point head bolts VW# n 911 689 01 (n91168901), needed for brake rotor replacement"
thoughts on this?
I say don't fool around and do EXACTLY what it says by the book...REPLACE these bolts with new bolts. This is not the time or place for old school methods since you're dealing with a safety-critical system in the car. In general you should maintain your car like your life depends on it because it does.

I recommend playing it safe and replacing the bolts with new bolts. Otherwise you take a risk that your brakes may become breaks instead.

Good luck.

Keasbey

TDI
2010 A3
Does anyone know what the part numbers for the A3 equivalent bolts are? im trying to hunt them down and having a hard til locating them.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
call the dealer parts desk (or stop by and bring a donut) ask them to look up by VIN and quote you price and part number. you can be honest and tell them you want to check on the internet for price. they may give you a better price, after you figure shipping. some of the parts places just get them from the local dealer anyway.