Biodiesel in Mpls

Erick

Hello,

I have a question for and Minnesota owners out there.

We just purchased a 2003 jetta wagon tdi from west side vw. Wondering if anyone in central minnesota is running biodiesel in there tdi. If so where do you get it, have you had any problems with it affecting your warranty, and do you have any other recommendations with burning biodiesel?

Also do you burn arctic blend and where is a good place to purchase it or is winter blend sufficient for our weather?

Also would anyone have any recommendations for a mechanic that they trust. We don't need one yet but just looking for input.

Thank you, this page is great. So much info.

Erick

zeus

TDI
crayfellow
Originally posted by Erick:

We just purchased a 2003 jetta wagon tdi from west side vw. Wondering if anyone in central minnesota is running biodiesel in there tdi.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Welcome to you! I, too am interested in bio. I have no source for it, but perhaps you and I can work together to get something going! If you ever need a second opinion on your car, Eich Motor Company in St. Cloud is great (I am slightly biased but it is true)!

Also do you burn arctic blend and where is a good place to purchase it or is winter blend sufficient for our weather?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I use Arctic Blend, but I am only on my second tank (damn thing takes forever to burn up that fuel!). Tom Thumb/Conoco stores seem to carry Arctic fairly readily. Use http://www.premiumdiesel.com/ to find vendors. I have also used the standard stuff from "O'Haras Station" right off 94 in Monticello, a mile from my house, and had no problems. That was during that REALLY cold week, too.

Good to hear from you.

-Patrick

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Erick, Zeus, and anyone else in your area that is interested in using biodiesel in their cars, I just checked on this link:

http://www.biodiesel.org/buyingbiodiesel/retailfuelingsites/default.shtm#top

There are currently no resources for you in your state, but this does not mean that you can't change things!

Please be encouraged to check out www.biodieselnow.com and open a forum for your state. This site functions as a clearinghouse to people who want to share best practices and strategies in order to get a consumer biodiesel pump sited in their area. It also helps you easily and efficiently contact your legislative reps, as well as media to encourage them to cover this topic.

Good luck!

Oh, and check this out (latest U.S. World and News Report), front cover story encouraging broader biodiesel use!! http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/030217/biztech/17oil.htm?lk=1449831-1449831-0-5851-9XrweoSo2NKlxmZqdnKD4d9obCFfT4f4

~BeetleGo

Angela

TDI
Jetta Wagon TDI 2003
Hi Eric,
I just ordered a TDI Jetta Wagon and plan on running biodiesel in it. I will buy my biodiesel B100 from Cannon Valley Coop in Northfield (800) 584-6689 nathanj@cannonvalleycoop.com in 55 gallon drums. I'd like to start a local buying club. If you're interested, email me with your info and I'll put you on the list and keep you posted. angelaelser@yahoo.com

Also April 12-13 at the state fair grounds there will be a sustainable living fair. Admission is free. For more info http://www.livinggreenexpo.org/

See you there.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Koch arctic (winter) and Koch gold (summer) are available at Bauer's texaco at Baker & Excelsior in the Hopkins/MTKA area. He is thinking about adding BD after his renovation so let him know you are interested. As Angela mentioned the cannon valley coop is the only BD I know of anywhere near the cities. There is B2 and B20 available in at least part of southwestern MN.

Angela, Let us know what kind of deal you are able to get on the 55 gal drums. There have been some discussions about water and cleanliness of BD. You may want to see what testing information they are willing to give you.

lojasmo

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW
Hi Eric,
I just ordered a TDI Jetta Wagon and plan on running biodiesel in it. I will buy my biodiesel B100 from Cannon Valley Coop in Northfield (800) 584-6689 nathanj@cannonvalleycoop.com">nathanj@cannonvalleycoop.com</a> in 55 gallon drums. I'd like to start a local buying club. If you're interested, email me with your info and I'll put you on the list and keep you posted. <a href="mailto:angelaelser@yahoo.com

Also April 12-13 at the state fair grounds there will be a sustainable living fair. Admission is free. For more info http://www.livinggreenexpo.org/

See you there.
I called CVC. b100 is $2.20/gal in 55 gal. quantities. They even offered to deliver to Rochester where I live! It is made by a manufacturer in IA, and "dave" of CVC attests to the QA numbers he's been given. I'm IN!!! We're also going to try to make it to the sustainable living expo...Should we all wear goofy hats or something?

Jason

LagoonBlueTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6sp
I use Koch Arctic exclusively in the winter. They sell it at the Holiday station on 169 south of Shakopee.

I always fuel at the same place, and have never had any problems. Have ~70,000 miles on my 2001 TDI without any trouble.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Other posters have already covered the bio-d angle; I will mention that Mills Fleet Farms carry Koch Arctic (if you're near one), as does the Tracy One Stop (Marshall and Hamline Avenues if you're ever in St. Paul); Tracy also carries the good Koch Performance Diesel in summer, too.

gooftdi

TDI
02 Golf TDI
Out of curiosity, I'd like to follow up (10 years later) on how things have been going for those 2003 TDIs running biodiesel.

Any complications? I have a '02 Golf and have been looking for Central MN biodiesel suppliers. Anyone make it themselves?

BTW, Eich Motor has treated my family and me fairly for over 15 years.