2009 JSW Post-Mod 10k DPF

CRWalker

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI CBEA
I’m a little concerned with the events that just took place.

First off, the modification has been extremely good to me: New precat/DPF to solve the P0401 that was there prior to the modification, new NOx cat to assuage my fears of collateral damage, amazing fuel mileage since the modification (42mpg avg, was 37ish before).

BUT 10k and change after the modification, I get that P0401 code and she goes into the dealer. Comes back to me with a new DPF because the old new one cracked just like the old old one did. I was also told their isn’t a root cause further than a defective part.

I have to think there is something wrong in front of the DPF causing this to happen. Whenever I get into the accelerator I get a metallic almost chain sound that doesn’t immediately go away once I let off. I feel like I’m spitting oil from the exhaust side of the turbo. (I have more than I think should be on the intake side) Is this a possibility? And, if so, how do I go about having them replace the turbo without more than explaining that I hear the clatter and think it’s the cause of the failing DPFs?

Thanks for the help in advance,
CRWalker

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
intake hoses by the IC were always gooped up due to EGR system

R/R a DPF is kinda tricky if they dealer didn't do it right it could cause issues, which may be the "chain?" sound is from.

The other thing to address of a P0401 code is the EGR filter (that's what the actual code is for insufficient EGR flow). If they just replace the DPF without replacing the clogged up EGR filter, you may be getting that same code again yet the DPF isn't cracked.