Possible claim if you sold your TDI before 2015

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
Interesting angle on how a person may have been damaged. I am one of the owners who sold a TDI before the news broke, so I'm very interested in this news.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
I had one totaled in 2014 and "sold" it to the insurance company. Wonder if I'm eligible? :p

blaster668

TDI
2012 Jetta
I spoke with the legal team yesterday, they have a deadline on Friday to add plaintiffs. They already have a plaintiff for Pennsylvania, so they didn't need to add me, but put my info in the system as a potential backup if needed. Assuming they get to a settlement, you likely will only qualify as part of the Class if there was a listed plaintiff for your state. I would hurry up and contact the legal team if you are curious.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
No...
Dammage was due to loss of value after the issue became public....
Was to make the consumer "whole".
Since an owner who sold a TDI BEFORE 2015 was not harmed by the scandal, pretty sure you are out if luck.

nwdiver

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI (sold); 2012 Tesla Model S
No...
Dammage was due to loss of value after the issue became public....
Was to make the consumer "whole".
Since an owner who sold a TDI BEFORE 2015 was not harmed by the scandal, pretty sure you are out if luck.
That IS what VW said... the Judge disagreed. That's the story.

Judge Charles Breyer, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, disagreed, siding with the consumer plaintiffs and allowing their case to move forward. Judge Breyer noted that plaintiffs had alleged they paid a premium for their vehicles, and that "by increasing the cost of the cars, the premium also increased the amount by which the cars depreciated." This extra depreciation meant that plaintiffs might still have been harmed by the fraud, even though they had sold their vehicles before the fraud was announced.​

Looks like the Judge agrees that the premium paid for 'clean diesel' was part of the fraud....

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Key is the dammage was to society as a whole, and a fine was paid, and that $$$ is to be used to do good to fix/counteract any damages done.

That IS what VW said... the Judge disagreed. That's the story.

Judge Charles Breyer, of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, disagreed, siding with the consumer plaintiffs and allowing their case to move forward. Judge Breyer noted that plaintiffs had alleged they paid a premium for their vehicles, and that "by increasing the cost of the cars, the premium also increased the amount by which the cars depreciated." This extra depreciation meant that plaintiffs might still have been harmed by the fraud, even though they had sold their vehicles before the fraud was announced.​

Looks like the Judge agrees that the premium paid for 'clean diesel' was part of the fraud....

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Hopefully it goes to trial and at least one juror has a brain.

Consumers pay a premium for a lot of vehicles which loose a lot a value the moment they change hands and become "used". How is that the manufacturer's fault?