Help SOS

KeeganFL

TDI
Jetta TDI
now that I have your attention I need help. I found an 06 second owner TDI Jetta. 236k new water pump, fly wheel, timing chain, and cam shaft and lifters for 4K. The car looks clean. Interior and exterior is clean, I would be using the car to drive 45 minutes for medic school two counties over. I previously owned a 05 TDI with 92k but sold it after my probation period with the FD and bought I pick up. Any advice of what to look for and reasonings if this is a good buy.

Thanks

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Id wana see receipts and know who did the work and if they were qualified to be doing the work.

cobra390t

Veteran Member
TDI
06 VW Jetta BRM 5SPD ,2005 Passat TDI Wagon( SOLD ), 05 Mk4 Golf BEW , 04 MK4 Golf BEW , MPG Who cares It's a Diesel
Timing chain and muffler bearing :D

You need to see all the maintenance record ( All the work with done ) see who did the work .

If no paper work .. You better know what you doing or looking at so you can inspect it thouroughly and scan it as well

Cheers

KeeganFL

TDI
Jetta TDI
I was told smell the oil to make sure it doesn't smell burnt. Is the timing chain not preventative maintenance? Other than that the motor should be fine ?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Timing chain on these cars ranks right up there with blinker fluid and winter air in your tires.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Meaning if the guy told you the timing chain had been done he lied and had no idea it had a belt instead of a chain and your driving a ticking time bomb. When the timing belt lets go it ALWAYS ruins the head. So youll add another $2000 to your timing belt job.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Basically the owner is claiming to have replaced all the major problem areas inherent to the MKV series. As already stated, it's important to know if work performed by a competent TDI mechanic/enthusiast. Generally speaking, dealerships and neighborhood shops fall short.

The ideal scenario is to find a local member or TDI mechanic who will test drive and inspect it with you. If all work done correctly, it sounds like a good deal.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Just depends. If the maintenance items were miss represented or done poorly by a hammer head mechanic, then you might have a lot of catch up maintenance items to catch up on.

Trusting someone else's say-so on maintenance is such a mixed bag because some folks will just plain old lie on what was actually done just to sell the car.

No, seriously, my mother really is a virgin............

Last edited: