Buying & Selling TDIs? Read this first!!

Homesteader

TDI
2004 Beetle, 2001 Golf
All right then. I just signed up because I was getting frustrated trying to figure out a reasonable asking price for our two TDI's. One is a blue 2001 Golf with 166,000 miles. Solid car but has some cosmetic blemishes. Last fill-up I got 52.9 mpg. Wife's car is in super shape and is a green 2004 Beetle which gets about 45-47 mpg and has 55,000. This car was purchased last August from a Volvo dealership. We are moving to Kuwait in August for two years and so need to sell. I'm simply looking for ballpark asking prices. Any help?

And yes, I read it.

Last edited:

anasopia

Veteran Member
TDI
02 .:R-TDI
take a look on Craigslist and see if you can find one similar in mileage to yours. for your 2001 golf, (based on the two months I spent searching for one), if it is a GL, then your looking at 6500-7500, if its a GLS, b/w 7500-8500
- this is only based on my searching, I put into consideration the mileage and the cosmetic condition. You should put into consideration if you have maintenance records, along with the color of the car, and accident history and so on.
As for the beetle... I honestly hate it with a passion, so I will not comment further.

ask around some more, maybe start a thread, or just do some searching and see if you can gauge a price based on that.

Make sure you've read the guide, its great!

CentralFloridaTDIguy

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
suggestions for postings and moderator....

If you are looking to buy or sell.... put the area where you live(city,state, nearest large city) in the title...

moderators....after the person that started the thread posts that they sold the car, found a car they wanted, or changed their mind....could the thread be deleted?

thanks

nancyg

TDI
Jetta, 2003, Silver
Thanks for this information!

I am a newbie too and read it and I say thanks for writing it because I'm about to sell my 2003 TDI Jetta Wagon with 116,000 miles and I want to sell it on a respectable site. I have photos and I have the maintenance records and I look forward to posting all of this information within the next 3-4 weeks. If any of you have questions on it in the meantime, feel fre to PM me. Sincerely, Nancy G

kirs0037

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon-Greasecar, 2005 Passat Wagon-Greasecar
I'm a newbie and I did read this. BTW, when can I drop the Newbie title? I bought a car on this site 2 years ago and have read hundreds of posts!

adamant628

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon GLS
I, too, am a newbie. I will definitely take this advice while searching for my first TDI. crazylist has blown my mind.

niferK

TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon TDI
vermont tdi imports?

i am considering selling my 04 jetta wagon tdi. posted to my local craigslist yesterday (i'm in FL) and had offer from a guy in VT... his e-mail tag line said "VERMONT TDI IMPORTS". he said he'd do a drive and fly.

i'm a tad sceptical of craig's list fraud so i thought i'd check here to see if anyone has had dealing's with him- good, bad, or indifferent?

BTW, i'll post my for sale feeler here too.

thanks-

rmkarros

TDI
02 Golf GL TDI
well i did join to find a TDI wagon (i had to decide on the rare one) to buy and posted a WTB thread as my first post. thankfully though i feel i was relatively realistic when it came to describing what i'm looking for. this post though is pretty good with some good info thanks.

macetopher

TDI
none yet, soon
if you write it n00bs will come...

Thanks for the write-up darkscout! To most people, including myself, these things are common sense, but its good to be reminded from time to time. I'll refer back to this as a checklist frequently while I'm shopping around! Looking for a Golf GL TDi 5spd. Hopefully there are some left for me :D

jogousa

TDI
2009 Tdi SportWagon
Tdi for Subaru

I have a 2009 VW Tdi Wagon (white) with moon-roof and 6 speed manual tranny with 7200 FL miles, trailer hitch, under seat storage drawers, hard wired Garmin GPS, dash board tray and other "minor" improvements and I will sell it as soon a Subaru Forester Diesel hits these shores. See you all then....

Austinatlanta

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Thanks

Thanks for all the info. :) Sometimes common sense is not common or at least needs some dusting off every now and then.

TomManson

TDI
none yet
OK, I'm new here. I read this, now onward and upward. No smiley faces attached, smiley faces are for chicks. Sorry to all you guys who use smiley faces.

urtoslo

TDI
2005 Beetle (two of them!)
Another newbie here. This site has some great reading material. I never plan on staying long and then hours have gone by. Thanks for the great info!

brons2

Veteran Member
TDI
none
jogousa said:
I have a 2009 VW Tdi Wagon (white) with moon-roof and 6 speed manual tranny with 7200 FL miles, trailer hitch, under seat storage drawers, hard wired Garmin GPS, dash board tray and other "minor" improvements and I will sell it as soon a Subaru Forester Diesel hits these shores. See you all then....
from all accounts, Subaru's diesel is horribly underpowered, so I'd suggest you keep your TDI :D

blueskiespbd

TDI
none
Newbie- Considering Jetta TDI Wagon vs Honda

Ladies:

I just sold the Honda Element and am considering the TDI Jetta Wagon 2010 model. Never had a diesel other than a 40 ft motor home. Looks appealing to me. Also looking at the new Honda CrossTour..pretty snappy.
Can I work some dealers against each other and get one of these for a few hundred over cost?
Any advice appreciated.

JGJetta

TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI wagon
I've got a wagon, I'm a newbie and a WOMAN who is trying to maintain locomotion and sanity with the onslaught of a lot of new Tdi information and the experience of getting 3rd degree burned twice by Mechanics Without Ethics 501(c)3 With Rudolph Diesel as my avatar, I WILL FIND A WAY.

donDavide

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta ;2006 Golf; 2015 Jetta S
i am considering selling my 04 jetta wagon tdi. posted to my local craigslist yesterday (i'm in FL) and had offer from a guy in VT... his e-mail tag line said "VERMONT TDI IMPORTS". he said he'd do a drive and fly.

i'm a tad sceptical of craig's list fraud so i thought i'd check here to see if anyone has had dealing's with him- good, bad, or indifferent?

BTW, i'll post my for sale feeler here too.

thanks-
Real dealer, do a search on the net and you will find them.

Ashmo501

TDI
Jetta GLS 2002 (RIP), Jetta GLS 2003
I'm an old newbie....don't post much....so to increase my post count I will just say that I READ THIS POST!! Very helpful, thanks a bunch. Now, if only my dream Jetta will fall out of the sky and land unharmed onto my front drive.....

awhit

TDI
none yet...
Yep I read it too....Trying to find the right wagon, preferably a red wagon :)
This is a great place with so much info!