Squirrel under my hood

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I have a ‘14 passat tdi sel, i have found a squirrel or acorns under the hood twice. I know i am lucky to have this warning, i have a couple ant-rodent noise makers and smelly stuff on the ground underneath the car, any other suggestions? I dont have a garage unfortunately. I always clean under the hood after washing my passat and that’s how i found these situations.

This one I believe crawled in there to die, because it didnt run away.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
the new soy based wiring sure attracts them, Toyotas get hit harder- lots of class action lawsuits including mine as I started my Toyota truck, ran super rough- figured ***- its only been sitting for 3 days, found the intake packed with hazel nuts- they chewed threw the filter (that doesn't have metal mesh) and completely packed my intake full. after shop vac'ing the nuts out it ran well again, but now uses a quart of oil every 2k miles and smokes blue on every shift..

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
the new soy based wiring sure attracts them, Toyotas get hit harder- lots of class action lawsuits including mine as I started my Toyota truck, ran super rough- figured ***- its only been sitting for 3 days, found the intake packed with hazel nuts- they chewed threw the filter (that doesn't have metal mesh) and completely packed my intake full. after shop vac'ing the nuts out it ran well again, but now uses a quart of oil every 2k miles and smokes blue on every shift..

No kidding, I've got no passenger headlight and front blinker at the moment thanks to mice . My trucks airbox was stuffed full of grass and leaves after sitting awhile this summer. Thankfully the filter element had wire mesh. Mothballs are often used as a deterrent. I'd stay away from poisons if you have pets.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We left the car at a "park an ride" when we went on week and vacation, something was starting to make a home, some tuffts of the battery cover was lifted up, but nothing more than that.

if you're parking outside I'd toss some dryer sheets under there.

Matt927

Veteran Member
TDI
several
Last summer the dealer opened the hood on my car and a freshly born baby mouse fell out onto the hood cowl from in between the hood and the hood liner.

Car is driven daily as well. First time I have seen a mouse in any of my vehicles.

vwdsmguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf black 5-spd
Yes

I have had acorn nuts regularly under the hood, mostly in winter, also mouse nests, like in the air cleaner. The critters are looking for a warm place, I guess.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Yep, I used the difference in sound of the acorns each time I opened the hood to gauge whether or not the infestation was getting worse. The battery cover was really chewed up, presumably to make nesting material.

Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil helps to repel the critters, but you have to be vigilant and refresh the scent every two or three weeks.

Clarkstom

TDI
2003 Golf
Yep, I used the difference in sound of the acorns each time I opened the hood to gauge whether or not the infestation was getting worse. The battery cover was really chewed up, presumably to make nesting material.
Cotton balls soaked in peppermint oil helps to repel the critters, but you have to be vigilant and refresh the scent every two or three weeks.
You may also try cayenne pepper and black pepper. A dish soap water works great too but it may actually harm or poison a rat.
We keep a Rat Zapper just in front of the bumper when the car is parked in our garage. We've apparently solved a rodent problem by doing so.
https://www.amazon.com/PestZilla-Co...r=8-5&keywords=rat+zapper+electronic+rat+trap
Nice. I used only fly catchers and bug zappers but never used a rodent one myself. Though I've seen a similar one at my friend's garage, I think it was a humane one like this but more sturdy
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Humane-Enlarged-Rodent-Children-Friendly/dp/B077WSG42K